How to push myself harder in workouts

I'm a regular gym goer. Like to workout around 5 hours per week. I'm an active person and commute to work and gym by bicycle regularly. I want to lose more weight and get rid of my live handles. Thing is sometimes I can't motivate myself to workout harder. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,208 Member
    jezkidd wrote: »
    I'm a regular gym goer. Like to workout around 5 hours per week. I'm an active person and commute to work and gym by bicycle regularly. I want to lose more weight and get rid of my live handles. Thing is sometimes I can't motivate myself to workout harder. Any tips greatly appreciated!

Losing fat only requires consuming fewer calories than you burn, not exercising hard. If you were to increase your gym calorie burn by 100 calories per workout, that's only 500 calories extra per week. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. I'm not saying don't work hard, but it's more important to find a sustainable routine that you don't dread. What does your current gym routine involve?
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    jezkidd wrote: »

Losing fat only requires consuming fewer calories than you burn, not exercising hard. If you were to increase your gym calorie burn by 100 calories per workout, that's only 500 calories extra per week. A pound of fat is 3500 calories. I'm not saying don't work hard, but it's more important to find a sustainable routine that you don't dread. What does your current gym routine involve?

This
    Weightloss takes place in the kitchen.
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Based upon what you already doing working out harder likely won't result in that much more weight loss. You have to cut calories. For example, I went crazy all out with the workouts for 3 months, running 15-20 km per day, weight training, kettle bells, you name it, but I ate like crap and gained 15 lbs. I started eating healthy and kept the same activity level and lost about 5 lbs. I then actually cut way back on the exercise performing max 60 minutes per day of combo weights and cardio and just really focussed on my calorie intake and diet and lost 15 lbs in 2 months and got great ab and leg definition. I have found the best workouts for weight loss are performing 30 minutes of high intensity interval aerobics (like running, biking, rowing or step mill) combined with full body strength training for 30 minutes using plyometrics (jump squats, burpee's, running man, jump lunges, etc.) TRX training and kettle bell routines. Also, Ab definition will never come from solely working out, abs are all about diet. My husband is active working out 4-5 days per week for one hour, but it all comes to diet for his abs. All he has to do is fallow a cut diet for 3 weeks and he looses about 10 lbs and has a great 8 pack, but when he loosens up on the diet the love handles appear (but i like the love handles, it' unrealistic to have a super cut body 12 months a year especially once your over 30, have a family and work full time). But you can definitely have periods of being cut.
  • nplima
    nplima Posts: 2 Member
    Hi. Going to the gym often doesn't necessarily mean you're doing something worthwhile... Try to adopt a training programme that suits your fitness level, time available and equipment at your disposal. Once you shift from "exercising" and "gym-going" to a TRAINING mindset, you'll be able to get more results.
    2 years ago I stumbled on stronglifts5x5 and my fitness and health improved a lot from strength training. Now I preach it everywhere :)