I really need some help.

Options
People say that the hardest part is admitting that to yourself and others...well, I am doing that. I continue to sabotage my workout habits and let life (work, family craziness) get in the way. There is not even a conscience decision each day to blow off working out. I am so tired of "starting over". I am tired of letting myself down.

My son was in the hospital for two months with a life threatening infection that culminated in his 4th open heart surgery. Then there was the month of trying not to get fired after working by his hospital bed for two months. Then there was his resulting addiction to heroin and his rehab. All big stressful events but also events that others would have used exercise as a stress reliever so I can't blame them. I realize that it is not productive to blame anyone or anything.

So now. I need to get back to daily workouts. I need to start with a couple of small ones a day until I can build up my endurance. I need to get back to logging in daily and charting my food. I need to stop indulging in couch potato life after working 10 hours a day and get my *kitten* in gear.

I would deeply appreciate anyone who is willing to message me or check in with me a couple of times over the next two weeks to be sure I am doing it. I know that after I get past those first two weeks the habits come back and become a necessity for me.

Thanks.

Juliana

Replies

• heyfelli
    heyfelli Posts: 8 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    U've been through a lot!! Get on this journey to feel good and not just for the numbers on the scale.. The scale will follow..
  • morning_joy
    morning_joy Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply. I really stopped freaking out about the scale awhile ago. Now it is mostly about how my clothes fit and my fitness level. Right now, those things are really suffering. I need to get moving and keep moving and I need to find ways to do that around a 7:00 am to 5:00 pm work day.
  • Buppybup
    Buppybup Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm here for you if you need motivation! It's so tough and you've been through so much. Hang in there!!
  • pplastics
    pplastics Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Here is one more thing you need to do: Stop beating yourself up for any mistakes or setbacks you have had, and instead start focusing on the positive in your life, and not just with health & weight loss. So much of getting through life (and finding happiness) is not about what you have suffered, but how you have gotten through it. Be proud of where you are right now.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You hit the nail on the head trying to identify whats productive for you.

Dont be too hard on yourself as beating yourself up is counterproductive.

Acknowledge you have had a difficult time that youve found difficult to deal with and stressful. the vast majority would have reacted the way you did, so its really ok. Its just a temporary stop whilst you were delaing with more important things.

I'd do it in this order one day at a time.
    Log food.
    Weigh and log food.
    Weigh, log and get to maintenance.
    Start adding in a gradual deficit.

For exercise, 5-10 minute walk, keep adding 5 minutes till you build up to 30 mins each day.
    Consider a workout or better still soemthing that involves movement that you enjoy, swimming, a sport etc is good.
    Fitness and endurance will come the more you are consistent and assuming you find the right balance of progressing.

I hope your son gets well, sometimes people use events to motivate them whilst others use exercise as a refuge in which to destress. Be patient, realistic and kind to yourself. Good luck.
  • morning_joy
    Options
    Thank you so much for your thoughtful reSponse. I appreciated the slow steps. They helped me realize that I seem to go all in or nothing and building back up slowly may be the better option
  • morning_joy
    Options
    pplastics wrote: »
    Here is one more thing you need to do: Stop beating yourself up for any mistakes or setbacks you have had, and instead start focusing on the positive in your life, and not just with health & weight loss. So much of getting through life (and finding happiness) is not about what you have suffered, but how you have gotten through it. Be proud of where you are right now.

Thank you for that thought. I admit it has been very hard to see the good lately but you are right there is much to be grateful for and I need to remember and recognize that.
  • debbysatit
    debbysatit Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me as a friend and I will try to be there for you and in turn you can be there for me. You have had
    a lot going on, it would be hard to be on track. I am in the same boat, need to exercise and build endurance. Never have been as out of shape as now, feel less strength and hard time breathing. Find myself huffing and puffing. Along with that have back issue as a result of the weight. Doctor said it would help to lose weight and build strong core. That was a year ago,no change,and now having a flare up of my back and find myself saying,get your s_ _ t together and get going. We can do this!