Yet another TDEE question...

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
OK, so i did a bunch of TDEE calculations and they come out anywhere between 2350 and 2540. the lowest of that minus 15% gets me around 1850 calories a day. (current 163lbs, goal 135-140)

i know you're supposed to eat the calculated amount, and ignore exercise calories. but, if i do that, i end up netting below 1200 every other day (when i go running for an hour or more). can that be right?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    OK, so i did a bunch of TDEE calculations and they come out anywhere between 2350 and 2540. the lowest of that minus 15% gets me around 1850 calories a day. (current 163lbs, goal 135-140)

i know you're supposed to eat the calculated amount, and ignore exercise calories. but, if i do that, i end up netting below 1200 every other day (when i go running for an hour or more). can that be right?

Try not to over think it. Just eat 1850 calories daily and see how your weight loss will go. Don't worry about net calories. Some days you will net below 1200, some days you will net over your daily TDEE. Over a week, it evens out.

BTW, at your stats, what are you doing that burns 650+ calories? And how are you estimating burned calories?
  • Alphastate
    Alphastate Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Try not to over think it. Just eat 1850 calories daily and see how your weight loss will go. Don't worry about net calories. Some days you will net below 1200, some days you will net over your daily TDEE. Over a week, it evens out.
    I agree with this.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It will even out. As long as you put your actual activity level in the calculations, you will be fine. On your rest days, you will still be eating the same as you would on an exercise day so those calories will be accounted for at the end of the week.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. :happy: I'll just stick with it for now and see how things go.
    Maybe I will log all my daily activities for a week and then re-calculate tdee...

BTW, at your stats, what are you doing that burns 650+ calories? And how are you estimating burned calories?
    Typically, one day i Lift for an hour, then run 30-45 mins, the next day I run for 45-90 minutes (without lifting first). Rest day on Sunday, or as needed. Calorie burn estimated via HRM - yes, i know it's not all that accurate for lifting.