Fitness Tracker Recommendations?

Options
I've been thinking about getting a fitbit-like tracker, but I simply can't afford the nice ones - $149.99 is just too much for me to spend right now. I'm looking for something in the $50 or less range and I was wondering if anyone had an recommentations for a cheap, basic tracker. So far I'm looking at the original jawbone (though discontinued, still available on amazon) for $38 or the Mi Band for $15.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Replies

• sub186
    sub186 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use the Jawbone up. You can sometimes get a deal through groupon. I've used it since 12/25/14. I haven't had any problems with it. Between Myfitnesspal (started end of Nov) and Jawbone I have lost over 70 pounds. The bad thing about Jawbone now is that because of the weight loss the band is a bit large around my wrist. It also has left a "watch" like tan line. I like that it gives me a nudge if I sit too long (vibrates after an hour of not moving- can be turned off if you don't like it). It helps me get my 10,000+ steps in daily. Good luck on you choice. There are alot of them out there now.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    FitBit Zip is in your price range. It won't track sleep, or do stairs. But being able to sync to MFP is great. Whatever you decide....look at MFP's device list first.

The FitBit users group has tons of info.....I would think there is a JawBone group too

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

I have the FitBit One, it's not worn on the wrist. The problem with wrist models is they will count (some) steps for driving, and don't count steps if you are holding something (lawnmower). It monitors sleep....not a big deal for me. It counts stairs (climbed)...kinda nice.
  • JediMasterNaw
    JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I do want something to track my sleep - I don't think I've been sleeping very deeply lately and that's probably why I'm tired most of the time. I'll take a look at MFP's device list to see what's there, but even if it didn't sync automatically I'd still consider it.

I do like the idea of the things that prompt you to get up and move - I tend to sit too long sometimes and never even realize it.
  • meraki78
    meraki78 Posts: 43 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Garmin VivoFit 1 or 2. If you are able to splurge get a good one. Garmin Vivofit will do all that you want. I have not taken mine off since I got it in February except to cook (like cut chicken) and when I upgraded to version 2. Syncs with MFP, waterproof, no charging required. Runs on a watch battery so when the battery goes dead you just replace it. Absolutely love mine, lost 38lbs since mid January. Price around $89 to $99.
  • Heidisjourney
    Heidisjourney Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I love my misfit shine
  • JediMasterNaw
    Options
    I love my misfit shine

I've been looking at the misfit flash (~$30) now too. I like the versatility of the band or the clip because the bands can sometimes be inaccurate since a wrist movement isn't necesarily a step. I'm not sure about the battery though - it just seems like a hassle when compared to a rechargable device.
    mandiRN1 wrote: »
    Garmin VivoFit 1 or 2. If you are able to splurge get a good one. Garmin Vivofit will do all that you want. I have not taken mine off since I got it in February except to cook (like cut chicken) and when I upgraded to version 2. Syncs with MFP, waterproof, no charging required. Runs on a watch battery so when the battery goes dead you just replace it. Absolutely love mine, lost 38lbs since mid January. Price around $89 to $99.

I'd love to splurge, but I really can't justify that expense to myself right now. I don't really need a fitness tracker at all since I'm doing fine without one (36lbs in 4 months!) but I'd like to get one and see if that can motivate me to move more as well as tracking my sleep.

My dillema at the moment is between something like the jawbone up where it's got a great track record, a really good app (I've heard), and I can easily upgrade to a newer device when I do have the money, or something like the misfit flash with it's lower price, versatility, and (presumably) slightly better accuracy.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    [Jedi master waves his hand]

...These are not the fitness trackers you are looking for...

I found using Google Fit on my Android phone was motivating enough. Cost: zero.
  • JediMasterNaw
    Options
    Your Jedi mind-tricks don't work on tose wiht strong minds! ;)

(I'd like something that also tracks my sleep, unfortunately my phone can't do that as far as I'm aware)
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I use a Jawbone Up...but it's my third one within a year. The other two were defective and replaced by Jawbone Support. I bought a Jawbone Up for my wife...the second REPLACMENT for hers has to be sent back already (only been 3 weeks). :/

Jawbone's are cheap, but with my experience horrible. Between my wife and I we have gone through 5 (all brand new or replacements directly from Jawbone) and of those 5 only one works well. We aren't active enough to blame it on harsh use, I'm an accountant behind a desk all day, and she's a school teacher.

Long story short...DO NOT get a Jawbone Up unless it's a newer Bluetooth model.
  • firef
    firef Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use the withing pulse it has a belt clip and a wrist band when sleeping to track your sleep. I can't remember what I paid for it.
  • firef
    firef Posts: 4 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Also there is an app that links to MFP and endomondo, another app I use to track my biking and running. They all connect together. I also got the Withings wireless scale that is excellent as I track my weight each morning and never let myself get off track for to long.
  • colors_fade
    colors_fade Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have the Zip for $50. It's simple, and does exactly what I want it to do: tracks my steps, converts (roughly) to miles walked and calories, and synchronizes with MFP.

It's a bi-directional synch, so MFP gets updated with my steps from the FitBit, and my FitBit dashboard (web site) gets updated with my calories consumed via MFP. There is a panel on the FitBit Dashboard I really like, that shows me daily calories burned/consumed, and automatically calculates my weekly deficit. That helps me keep an eye on the weekly 3,500 deficit I shoot for.

Anything more would be... too much, IMO. Simple works.

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Sleep tracking, even on the higher end GPS watches, is not really accurate. At best it shows an approximation, which is based on how much you are moving around in your sleep.

For the price point you have set, I think you should let go of the sleep tracking requirement, and focus on more productive and accurate aspects of fitness trackers.
  • gail1961
    gail1961 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I bought the fitbit because I really wanted the sleep tracking too, but I found it was not accurate, so it didn't help much. If I was awake, but not moving, it didn't log that I was awake. I used the sleep monitor for about 2-3 weeks and then gave up, it didn't really give me helpful feedback. I do like my fitbit a lot and have had it for about 1.5 years. I got it on ebay for $73. I know you don't want to spend that much, but maybe you could find something you do want on there. Good luck.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I don't really need a fitness tracker at all since I'm doing fine without one (36lbs in 4 months!) but I'd like to get one and see if that can motivate me to move more as well as tracking my sleep.

So I got one about six weeks ago, admittedly I'm an endurance runner so pretty active in terms of deliberate exercise.

I don't see a particularly compelling reason to bother, particularly if you can't justify spending the money on a mid range device.

Step tracking is interesting, but doesn't tell me anything I don't know already. If you think you need to walk ore, then set yourself objectives and walk more. Use a hone app to see if you do actually find it motivating. IF it works for you, then look at spending the money to get a decent device.

As far as sleep tracking is concerned, it is pretty rudimentary. It won't tell you why you're not sleeping, only that you're moving more or less overnight.

• WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    The sleep tracking aspect of the fitness trackers is the least useful aspect. When I was looking, that was one of the selling points for me, but it quickly lost its appeal. I think I only used it twice.

I have the Fitbit One and the Fitbit Flex. I really like them both. My favorite feature other than the step tracking is that they have silent alarms. I don't think the Fitbit Zip has that feature (I could be wrong though).

• JediMasterNaw
    Options
    I think I'm deciding overall to go with the Misfit Flash. It seems to be the best for it's small price. Thanks everyone for your input and ideas
  • Joolscrowley
    Joolscrowley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had a Misfit flash which I loved - it's not necessarily the most accurate but it tracks swimming and you don't need to charge it, but the wrist strap broke after a month so I got a pebble. This is apparently a big problem with Misfits, so I would get one but maybe get a different strap on etsy or whatever.