so spicy foods...?

So I like spicy food and I've heard spicy foods boost metabolism even if its by a small amount.... my question is... how much spicy food do you actually have to eat to see a significant or any effect on your metabolism?

I mean is it like a tablespoon of hot sauce or chili flakes on every meal or do you you have to down a jar of jalapenos at random intervals?? :noway: :sick:

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    So I like spicy food and I've heard spicy foods boost metabolism even if its by a small amount.... my question is... how much spicy food do you actually have to eat to see a significant or any effect on your metabolism?

I mean is it like a tablespoon of hot sauce or chili flakes on every meal or do you you have to down a jar of jalapenos at random intervals?? :noway: :sick:

At least the jars of jalapenos, though I'd recommend fresh peppers because the sodium from several jars a day is going to be crazy high. But seriously, this is going to be similar to the boost from drinking a cup of caffeinated coffee. And I know an awful lot of overweight people that drink a lot of coffee.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    It's really not a significant amount. However, if you like spicy foods (I do) - enjoy! Adding spices to your foods won't hurt your progress in anyway, and they taste good.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,228 Member
    I've heard that the effect that capsacin has on the metabolism is insignificant. Just eat that hot stuff that you like and try not to overdo it so you don't cause yourself digestion problems.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    I put cayenne pepper on EVERYTHING! its good for you!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,139 Member
    Not enough to measure ........consuming a little more protein will increase TEF more, basically have lots of chili's with your protein of chicken or whatever and carry on.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Lol thanks everyone - to be clear i wasnt going to eat jars of jalapenos :noway: thats just nuts - this was just curiousity sparked by my lunch being spicy and realizing there was a chili flake on my tongue that i almost bit into:explode: , and i didnt feel like doing the google dance! :laugh:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    That is a myth.
  • mommabenefield
    Not enough to measure ........consuming a little more protein will increase TEF more, basically have lots of chili's with your protein of chicken or whatever and carry on.

TEF? -- still learning abbv...
  • belle_of_the_bar
    belle_of_the_bar Posts: 474 Member
    I love hot sauce as a no cal condiment, but I don't think it's benefitting my metabolism in a measurable way. I just think its tasty, especially on cauliflower.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Lol thanks everyone - to be clear i wasnt going to eat jars of jalapenos :noway: thats just nuts - this was just curiousity sparked by my lunch being spicy and realizing there was a chili flake on my tongue that i almost bit into:explode: , and i didnt feel like doing the google dance! :laugh:

Well that's a relief!

I saw angina and bleeding ulcers in your future.
  • xinit0
    xinit0 Posts: 310 Member

Try eating a pound of scotch bonnet peppers and see if you lose weight.

I think that the metabolism boost you might experience would come entirely from the adrenalin released to try to get you to run away from the peppers. A couple chilies in your curry aren't going to do much of anything other than make it taste better.
  • mommabenefield

Well that's a relief!

129025133243287226.jpg
  • mommabenefield
    I love hot sauce as a no cal condiment, but I don't think it's benefitting my metabolism in a measurable way. I just think its tasty, especially on cauliflower.

oh i do to - especially since i met my husband he puts tabasco on everything just cause he likes it... a good one to try is if you have sweet potato fries mix tabasco or chalula and ketchup - pretty tasty and not as calorie dense as ranch :laugh:
  • xinit0
    Well that's a relief!

Another thing that spicy food doesn't do: cause ulcers...

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/digestive/spicy-food-ulcers.htm
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Well that's a relief!

http://health.howstuffworks.com/diseases-conditions/digestive/spicy-food-ulcers.htm

Depends on the acid content of the food. Eat a jar of jabaneros every day for a year and your bound to **** something up. Jus' sayin'.
  • mommabenefield

Try eating a pound of scotch bonnet peppers and see if you lose weight.

I think that the metabolism boost you might experience would come entirely from the adrenalin released to try to get you to run away from the peppers. A couple chilies in your curry aren't going to do much of anything other than make it taste better.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2PknTxH5-5RhkNqQlodVOJnTR4pdeso1cVVGfIApqYf-Ufsjy
  • mommabenefield
    Well that's a relief!

Depends on the acid content of the food. Eat a jar of jabaneros every day for a year and your bound to **** something up. Jus' sayin'.

lol - The After Effects images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ61vLPGBZQSNLH7GFweW4OZjN-aN_mzyF80AnLJhUMJfbsLUa4
  • xinit0

Well, you might have massive indigestion, explosive firey diarrhea, and be unkissable... but ulcers won't be one of those problems.

Jus' sayin'.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    What's a jabanero? Is that what happens when a jalapeño sleeps with a habanero?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    What's a jabanero? Is that what happens when a jalapeño sleeps with a habanero?

So I'm not very good with Spanish! :tongue: