So I bought a food scale....

Options
2»

Replies

• rekite2000
    rekite2000 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Cheese was a huge eye opener for me! I was probably eating 3x the serving size. I can now usually do exactly one serving slices now (still weigh to be sure though- feels good to be right)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options
    sadiebrawl wrote: »
    Thank you all for the info! If i actually use tablespoons for my PB is that not 32 grams like the jar says? I didn't think I would need to weigh it...

Well, I know in my case, my stomach is bigger than my eyes so it would be one big heapin' tablespoon! I think it's safer to weigh the more calorie dense food just in case.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Wait until you weigh stuff like cereal and peanut butter etc It is quite the depressing experience :cry:

Truth. And 1 oz. of mixed nuts is pitiful.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the info! If i actually use tablespoons for my PB is that not 32 grams like the jar says? I didn't think I would need to weigh it...

If you're using measuring spoons, there's a lot of room for error, especially for something as calorie dense as PB. Which I love. LOL
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options

When i take a tablespoon of peanut butter and weigh it to check i have always more...a lot more rofl almost half sometimes.

So i do those kinda things different. I take a knife, put the jar on the scale and take out my ingredient like butter or peanut butter or jam. The scale gives a negative number so -32 is my real table spoon of PB.
  • nm212
    nm212 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Are calories always measured by weight though? Your avocado example makes me wonder...I haven't tried a food scale yet, but I am curious.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    I've tried several scales and like the OXO the best. When you first turn it on, it does a quick 3, 2, 1 countdown, but after that it tares quickly. It had a pull-out display so you can see the display with a plate on the scale. It's small. It's not cheap, though.

The other good one is the postal scale, but you can't see the display with a plate on it and it's best to keep it covered with plastic wrap since it wasn't designed as a food scale, lol.

The others I tried weren't entirely accurate or took too long to tare or whatever.

I put the OXO on my Christmas wish list last year after seeing that it was America's Test Kitchen's top pick for a digital food scale.

Digital Scales

Good habits, such as weighing baking ingredients, can make you a better cook. We've found a good kitchen scale to be an essential kitchen item.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED - WINNER

OXO Food Scale

Exceptionally intuitive. The super-clear display offers an optional backlight, four easy-to-read buttons, and, unique to OXO, can be pulled out from the large, removable (i.e. washable) platform when weighing bulky items.

detail_SIL_DigitalScale_OXO_detail.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WJMTNA/?tag=atkequippilot-20

This one has an 11 pound capacity; OXO makes one with a 5 # capacity that is cheaper.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,598 Member
    Options

When i take a tablespoon of peanut butter and weigh it to check i have always more...a lot more rofl almost half sometimes.

So i do those kinda things different. I take a knife, put the jar on the scale and take out my ingredient like butter or peanut butter or jam. The scale gives a negative number so -32 is my real table spoon of PB.

I've been doing that with a small jar of cookie butter. And a spoon. And my mouth.

:)

• sadiebrawl
    sadiebrawl Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    OMG i love cookie butter. I have to have my DH hide it and just let it out when I want a little. Pathetic I know....
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    use grams whenever possible. it will be more accurate.

ironically, im really good at eyeballing a tbsp of peanut butter. mmmm peanut butter LOLOLOLOL (but i weigh it anyways just for more complete accuracy)
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    rachelbouc wrote: »
    Congrats! Oh my, I weighed out grapes today. The cup measurement said that a cup was 50 or so calories. Nope! Thank goodness for scales!

rice was one of my OMG moments, 1/4 cup dry weighed 60grams and the serving size was 45grams dry so I was overeating by 40 extra calories on just that one thing. thankful for my scale to keep me right.
    I started weighing oatmeal too. That was depressing as well...
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    use grams whenever possible. it will be more accurate.

ironically, im really good at eyeballing a tbsp of peanut butter. mmmm peanut butter LOLOLOLOL (but i weigh it anyways just for more complete accuracy)

When I got my scale I realized I was underestimating my peanut butter. Score more peanut butter for me!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I was UNDERestimating my ranch which was the best surprise ever.
  • Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I bought a food scale. It has a feature that when i type in a code it tells me how many calories and carbs each item has for the weight I'm measuring. Perfect for fruit :)

http://www.target.com/p/perfect-portions-scale/-/A-13560576?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=google_pla_df&LNM=13560576&CPNG=Kitchen&kpid=13560576&LID=26pgs&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=13560576&kpid=13560576&gclid=CKXL0a6n8sYCFYGRHwod3EEO3Q

if anyone else is interested :)
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Try a few days of measuring in grams. I find grams to be so much easier than ounces, I have no idea why. The scale was eye opening. I discovered I was overestimating everything. Hummus, peanut butter, salad dressing, avocados. And croutons. A serving size is seriously like 3 croutons. They aren't even worth the trouble, I don't buy them anymore.
  • Cocoa1020
    Options
    Kexessa wrote: »
    Try a few days of measuring in grams. I find grams to be so much easier than ounces, I have no idea why. The scale was eye opening. I discovered I was overestimating everything. Hummus, peanut butter, salad dressing, avocados. And croutons. A serving size is seriously like 3 croutons. They aren't even worth the trouble, I don't buy them anymore.

my big thing is carbs. like rice and cereal. i measure those out so I'm not over eating them.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »

my big thing is carbs. like rice and cereal. i measure those out so I'm not over eating them.

Oddly enough I don't like cereal, any kind. I'm not a fan of rice in any form either. The Minute Maid multi grain medley is ok though. Potatoes are my weakness. And bread. Never met a bread I didn't like.

• Cocoa1020
    Options
    Cocoa1020 wrote: »

Oddly enough I don't like cereal, any kind. I'm not a fan of rice in any form either. The Minute Maid multi grain medley is ok though. Potatoes are my weakness. And bread. Never met a bread I didn't like.

I eat Kashi berry, i measure it out and then throw in some chia seeds and berries :) make it a little healthier lollol
    Also I am dominican so i was born with a plate of rice and beans XD but ill eat brown rice instead of white and right now i've been eating Farro (love it omg) and as for the bread.... i HATE RYE BREAD but other than that.... i like them all but don't eat it often.