Hi all!

Any fellow PCOS sufferers who are able to share any success stories and/or tips?
I've been working out and eating healthy but the weight is coming off so slowly! It does become disheartening. I also take metformin. Thanks for taking the time to read this post and i look forward to hearing from you! X

Replies

• officialashy
    officialashy Posts: 15 Member
    i stopped taking metformin a year ago, but my condition still remains. some tips i can give you can be, us pcos sufferers are quite prone to carbohydrate sensitivity, where we dont respond well to a lot of carbs. So,

1.NO WHITE CARBS:avoid white carbs as much as possible. but at the same time its okay to go for white carbs
    sometimes. choose food with low GI.

2. WORK OUT!: Yeap.. we have it the hard way when it comes to losing weight as its so stubborn. the main idea
    is to not give up and keep on doing it. check your weight once in a week, same time, same day.
    As i am typing this to you right now, i have completed 3 weeks of workout and healthy eating, but
    i managed to lose barely 2 kilos, which is very disappointing. However, i think i did lose some fats.

3. DONT RELY ON THE SCALE TOO MUCH: number on the scale doesnt define your value, or your beauty. so dont
    stress out or blame yourself if you dont see a change. but if you workout
    consistently, you will eventually feel better.

4.AVOID UNNECESSARY CALORIES: when you feel the temptations crawling up to you, ask yourself "do i really need
    it?"

Not much of a success story as i am still on my journey, but i would like to share it with you anyways.

i used to consume so much unnecessary foods out of boredom. once i started my fitness journey, i look at others and think to myself that losing this weight is much more important than the temporary pleasure i get from unhealthy foods. just the other day, i went to starbucks as i havent had a starbucks drink in 3 months. i ordered a java chip frap with cream and one major change i realised was that, i immediately had an aversive reaction to it because i could literally feel the fats and excess sweet in my mouth. this probably happened because now my palette is more used to the less sweet less oily foods. same thing happened when i had a sip of soft drink. i cringed! however, if you really really feel like having some food to indulge once in a while, dont go too hard on yourself and by all means go ahead. :smile: however, i havent lost much weight. just 2 kilos! but i feel much better. at the end of the day believe in yourself! you can do it.

hope i helped even just a bit. GOODLUCK DEAR :smile: take care
  • jessicanyari
    jessicanyari Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you so much for your tips!!! It's really useful to get tips from other sufferees because they know exactly what you're going through.
    Is there any reason you stopped taking metformin? It does give me a bad stomach ache but i put up with it in hope the tablets will aid my weight loss.
    And 2 kilos in 3 weeks?! Girl that's AMAZING! I'm lucky to lose half a pound! What kind of exercises have you been doing?
  • ng647
    ng647 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi! I also have PCOS and have struggled for 15 years now, going from doctor to doctor and trying countless medications (primarily hormonal based). I also stopped taking metformin 5 months ago for 2 reasons: my symptoms did not improve in any way while I was on it for the 1.5 years and my (new) obgyn stated that new research shows it has no significant effect for pcos sufferers like me ( not overweight and normal sugar levels). If you are contemplating on stopping your metformin you should talk to your doctor first to ensure that the main reason it was prescribed to you was not for high blood sugar or suspected insulin resistance, because metformin does help those things. Making a decision like this on your own is just not possible or advised. I really hope this helps!
  • Heddleey
    Heddleey Posts: 9 Member
    Hey! I've had pcos for 10 years now. I quit all my medication years ago in search of a more natural way of dealing with it. I now take flax pills. It works wonders I don't have complications anymore, my blood sugar is perfect and my weight is now manageable. It was difficult with all the different hormone medication to maintain a healthy weight. I recommend you read up on flax it's helped me out so much :) also I stay away from soy! Hope this helps
  • jessicanyari
    jessicanyari Posts: 8 Member
    Thank you for your responses! I'm going to get myself to the doctors and discuss which would be the best way forward for me. I haven't seen any improvements whilst using metformin, it's actually made me feel worse. Did flax pills help with weight loss?