Do I need to exercise to keep loosing weight?

Options
Used to exercise 3-4 times a week and I've lost 78 pounds, but now I have a full time job and housework ect it's been hard and haven't been going to the gym after a 8 hour shift cleaning/preparing and serving food. I will pay and go to one if its necessary as I don't want to give up, but I've been keeping under my calorie goal and my job involves a lot of walking about and physical activity and wondering if it's still possible to loose the pounds.

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    If you've been staying under your calorie goal without it, you'll still lose weight, just a little more slowly, all other things being equal.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Exercise is good for your health, but not necessary to lose weight. As long as your calories in are less than calories out you should still lose weight.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You do not need to exercise to lose weight.

It's good for your health! It will also help you burn calories. But it's not necessary. :)
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Weight loss is made in the kitchen.
  • _cdaley
    _cdaley Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Someone once told me that the only exercise you need to do to lose weight is to push your chair back from the kitchen table. Lol.

I've lost 18 lbs so far just by calorie counting and the walking I do as a part of my job/daily life (12,000-17,000 steps most days). I actually am just starting to take yoga 2x a week, but as others have said I am doing that for health/fitness reasons, not weight loss. I want to lose about 7 more lbs and will continue calorie counting to get there!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit is all that's required for weight loss. You'll still have weekends to get out there though :smiley:
  • sarawallace888
    sarawallace888 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    To lose weight there must be a balance of healthy eating and exercise. It is what leads to physical fitness not just a drop in the scale. I recommend finding time to have some exercise, it doesn't have to be painfully hard but some activity is vital. A 30 minute walk everyday can even make a difference. Good luck!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise is just as essential as lowering your calorie intake. If you eat back your exercise calories, which are often overstated, you are sabotaging yourself. Eat at or below your calorie level and exercise. Your body will love you for it.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    mizukikuro wrote: »
    Used to exercise 3-4 times a week and I've lost 78 pounds, but now I have a full time job and housework ect it's been hard and haven't been going to the gym after a 8 hour shift cleaning/preparing and serving food. I will pay and go to one if its necessary as I don't want to give up, but I've been keeping under my calorie goal and my job involves a lot of walking about and physical activity and wondering if it's still possible to loose the pounds.

Nope. Just stay within your calorie goals and you will be fine.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    To lose weight there must be a balance of healthy eating and exercise. It is what leads to physical fitness not just a drop in the scale. I recommend finding time to have some exercise, it doesn't have to be painfully hard but some activity is vital. A 30 minute walk everyday can even make a difference. Good luck!
    Yes, exercise is just as essential as lowering your calorie intake. If you eat back your exercise calories, which are often overstated, you are sabotaging yourself. Eat at or below your calorie level and exercise. Your body will love you for it.

Yes, exercise is good for fitness. but millions of people lose weight and maintain without exercise. Exercise is not necessary to lose weight (and this comes from a girl who weight lifts and runs three times a week simply because I love it so much). :)
  • getlessheavy
    getlessheavy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Eat less to lose weight
    Workout to get in shape
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I burned 1354 calories yesterday through exercise. You can bet I'll eat a lot of those back!
    One of the main reasons I exercise is so I can eat more.

OP, I lost 24lbs with zero exercise. As long as you stay within your calories you'll lose weight.