• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    Carbs - 400g/48%
    Protein - 173g/21%
    Fat - 115g/31%.

The moment I realised overdoing it on protein and skipping carbs was what was causing me to continually lose weight was a bloody revelation, I tell you.

Just curious, what (approximately) were your macros before, when you were losing weight?

It's been a while, so I can't really remember, but I think maybe 40/30/30 or 50/30/20. All I know is that I was getting around 3-400g of protein a day somehow. Did a ton of resistance training, got reasonably defined, but just wouldn't gain weight (in fact, I lost it a few times). Then I had a long chat with a guy I know about nutrition and flipped it all around.

• ElisaJtsu
    ElisaJtsu Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    WHY does this matter?
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Carbs - 400g/48%
    Protein - 173g/21%
    Fat - 115g/31%.

The moment I realised overdoing it on protein and skipping carbs was what was causing me to continually lose weight was a bloody revelation, I tell you.

Just curious, what (approximately) were your macros before, when you were losing weight?

It's been a while, so I can't really remember, but I think maybe 40/30/30 or 50/30/20. All I know is that I was getting around 3-400g of protein a day somehow. Did a ton of resistance training, got reasonably defined, but just wouldn't gain weight (in fact, I lost it a few times). Then I had a long chat with a guy I know about nutrition and flipped it all around.

Wow. 300-400g of protein seems like a lot. You must have had impressive plate fulls! ;)

ElisaJtsu wrote: »
    WHY does this matter?

Just curious. I certainly never had that problem. I'm curious.
  • ElisaJtsu
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Carbs - 400g/48%
    Protein - 173g/21%
    Fat - 115g/31%.

Wow. 300-400g of protein seems like a lot. You must have had impressive plate fulls! ;)

WHY does this matter?

Sorry, I was not referring to your question as such. I was wondering why 'macros' matter so much to people :)

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    And here I thought getting to 250 on protein was hard some days.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    Carbs - 400g/48%
    Protein - 173g/21%
    Fat - 115g/31%.

WHY does this matter?

Sorry, I was not referring to your question as such. I was wondering why 'macros' matter so much to people :)

I would doubt they matter much to most people. My WOE involves unusual macros so I wondered how unusual it actually was. For weightloss, CI<CO is king.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options

It depends on what you want to achieve. When I was losing weight, it wasn't really an issue, calories in v. out was king - and it worked. However, when you want to do something more specific, macros can play a big role. Despite loads of weight training, I simply could not put on weight while my protein was so high and carbs so low, but since switching it around, I've gained weight (without too much fat) and also noticed a huge improvement in my energy levels throughout the day :)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Carbs - 400g/48%
    Protein - 173g/21%
    Fat - 115g/31%.

WHY does this matter?

I need a certain number of calories to meet my goals. I need a certain range of protein to meet my goals. I need a certain amount of fat for my body to function. Carbs fill out the rest. That's why they matter so much to me, in particular.

• ElisaJtsu
    Options

It depends on what you want to achieve. When I was losing weight, it wasn't really an issue, calories in v. out was king - and it worked. However, when you want to do something more specific, macros can play a big role. Despite loads of weight training, I simply could not put on weight while my protein was so high and carbs so low, but since switching it around, I've gained weight (without too much fat) and also noticed a huge improvement in my energy levels throughout the day :)

Thank you VERY much! I now understand why people 'watching' their macros when attempting muscle gain; on the contrary I found all this talk about macros slightly obsessive (in forums overall), that is why I wanted to know. What you're saying makes perfect sense though. Thanks.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    335c
    180p
    70f

Currently cutting
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I just meet my protein and fat minimums and fill the rest with what I want.
    Protein minimum = 120g
    Fat minimum = 52g
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    pzyxian wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    slp51 wrote: »
    Wow, carbs are super-low! Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Mine are:

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

A very kind fitness expert who belongs to the site helped me set mine. I'm a small-framed 64 YO F, 5'4". I also did a little research and I think mine are great for me.

Curious as to why you have Cs so low and F so high?

low carb is all the rage...

If you throw in my gluten free diet (due to celiac disease), then I guess my diet is the "it" thing. Yep, it's all about staying with the trends...

simply commenting for the sake of the poster that low carb is all the rage right now...carbs are the latest and greatest dietary demon...google anything to do with weight loss currently and you're going to find low carb, low carb, low carb everywhere...there are valid reasons to low carb...but most people I know in the real world are just suckers for whatever the industry is going to throw out there...a lot of people here too...thus all of the carbs are the devil threads and whatnot.

people are generally ignorant...thus the current gluten free craze...and yes, there are valid reasons...but most people getting on that band wagon have no reason...again...ignorance.

For some of us in the US, about 2/3 of us in fact, carbohydrate levels need taming. Please don't mock and undermine those who need to restrict carbs.

Obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels. While this epidemic was developing we as a nation increased carbohydrate intake as a percent of diet about 20% and decreased proteins and fat percentage. It really isn't as crazy as you are implying to focus on decreasing carb intake. Please respect that.

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

I'd love to see studies regarding your statements.

At the very bottom is a table by macro. I just realized it is only up to 2000.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5304a3.htm
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm

Hi, increased in carb intake might like to obesity. However, in countries with lowest obesity rates, they are most east Asia countries. I think their food intake are primarily carbs.

"The prevalence of diabetes in China has risen rapidly, the authors write, from 0.9% in 1980 to 11.6% in 2010" They have the same problem now, but I'm not sure if they had similar increases in carb macro. China's obesity rates have also risen dramatically in a very short time period.

Seems much more likely that with increased wealth protein and fat would increase. Also highly processed stuff and sugar, but not carbs in general. Efforts to focus on macros alone -- especially carbs -- are really not very informed, because traditional diets that seem to be equally healthy are all over the place.

The US is not particularly high in carbs even now, and our total fat consumption has been increased despite the war on fat with just a slight ratio shift which is likely overstated because people tend to answer based on what they think is healthy (and they think fat is unhealthy due to the propaganda). Even if the shift is 100% accurate, the US still doesn't eat the percentages of carbs that many healthier diets include. The problem with the US diet isn't macros, it's overall food quality/micros and especially calories.

Focusing on carbs is quite similar to the mistakes made (IMO) by the researchers who focused on fat post WW2, when instead high animal fat (and protein) consumption frequently simply indicated overall society wealth and food surpluses, which of course is associated with many diseases of overconsumption. Similar things are going on now. If the people supposedly suffering from eating "too many carbs" had spent their lives eating beans and whole grains and even white rice and vegetables and fruits, and even some sweet treats in true moderation, I doubt diabetes, etc. would be an issue. (Obviously, celiacs shouldn't eat the grains, though.)

I'm not saying meat is a problem, to be clear. I think similar criticisms can be made of the arguments against meat.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    35/35/30

Protein/Carbs/Fat
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Wow, carbs are super-low! Do you have enough energy throughout the day? Mine are:

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

A very kind fitness expert who belongs to the site helped me set mine. I'm a small-framed 64 YO F, 5'4". I also did a little research and I think mine are great for me.

If you throw in my gluten free diet (due to celiac disease), then I guess my diet is the "it" thing. Yep, it's all about staying with the trends...

simply commenting for the sake of the poster that low carb is all the rage right now...carbs are the latest and greatest dietary demon...google anything to do with weight loss currently and you're going to find low carb, low carb, low carb everywhere...there are valid reasons to low carb...but most people I know in the real world are just suckers for whatever the industry is going to throw out there...a lot of people here too...thus all of the carbs are the devil threads and whatnot.

people are generally ignorant...thus the current gluten free craze...and yes, there are valid reasons...but most people getting on that band wagon have no reason...again...ignorance.

For some of us in the US, about 2/3 of us in fact, carbohydrate levels need taming. Please don't mock and undermine those who need to restrict carbs.

Obesity and diabetes are at epidemic levels. While this epidemic was developing we as a nation increased carbohydrate intake as a percent of diet about 20% and decreased proteins and fat percentage. It really isn't as crazy as you are implying to focus on decreasing carb intake. Please respect that.

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

moderating carb intake =/= low carb...please. I agree that most people who eat the SAD should moderate their carb intake and make better decisions in RE to what makes up their carb intake...but that doesn't mean you need to go full tilt low carb...it's unnecessary and carbs aren't the devil. I'm not mocking anyone, I'm simply pointing out observations from the real world in which I live

also, if you look at the diabetes food pyramid...whole grains and starches and what not actually make up the bulk of the recommended diet...again...maybe a little education is in order.

i respect actual knowledge...i do not need to respect diet fads and trends.

19916.jpg

for your edification...pretty much also the way I eat even though I'm not diabetic. you'll note the evil grains their...and of course, the devil fruits.
  • mtbke5
    mtbke5 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Control days 150g c/70g F/ 130g P (W, S, Su)
    Active days 275g c/70g F/ 130g P (M, T, TH, F)
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    roughly......

carbs 60%
    protein 25%
    fat 15%
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

moderating carb intake =/= low carb...please. I agree that most people who eat the SAD should moderate their carb intake and make better decisions in RE to what makes up their carb intake...but that doesn't mean you need to go full tilt low carb...it's unnecessary and carbs aren't the devil. I'm not mocking anyone, I'm simply pointing out observations from the real world in which I live

also, if you look at the diabetes food pyramid...whole grains and starches and what not actually make up the bulk of the recommended diet...again...maybe a little education is in order.

19916.jpg

for your edification...pretty much also the way I eat even though I'm not diabetic. you'll note the evil grains their...and of course, the devil fruits.

The thinking on how to treat diabetes is changing faster than the ADA can keep up. Many diabetes experts now think that advocating more sugar, in the form of carbs, is not a good treatments for diabetics who are having a hard time regulating their blood sugars. If dietary sugars are kept low, and of a low G.I., it helps a diabetics sugar not climb to dangerously high levels, and plummet after a few hours.

I'm sure some diabetics do high on a high carb diet, but I wonder if they would do better by limiting their problem foods.

Dr. Bernstein, an engineer and m.d., is only the leading edge of this change. His book, Diabetic Solutions, is quite interesting if you want to learn more.

BTW, the links that were included show that about 2/3 of Americans became overweight when the SAD changed by adding calories, mostly in the form of carbs, while decreasing fats.... I think that is what the OP was referring to. I think she just asked that you try to respect her opinion based on those statistical facts.

I am sorry that you think grains and fruit are evil.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

19916.jpg

The thinking on how to treat diabetes is changing faster than the ADA can keep up. Many diabetes experts now think that advocating more sugar, in the form of carbs, is not a good treatments for diabetics who are having a hard time regulating their blood sugars. If dietary sugars are kept low, and of a low G.I., it helps a diabetics sugar not climb to dangerously high levels, and plummet after a few hours.

I'm sure some diabetics do high on a high carb diet, but I wonder if they would do better by limiting their problem foods.

Dr. Bernstein, an engineer and m.d., is only the leading edge of this change. His book, Diabetic Solutions, is quite interesting if you want to learn more.

BTW, the links that were included show that about 2/3 of Americans became overweight when the SAD changed by adding calories, mostly in the form of carbs, while decreasing fats.... I think that is what the OP was referring to. I think she just asked that you try to respect her opinion based on those statistical facts.

Hmmm... Me thinks low carbs might've broken your sarcasm meter?
  • nvmomketo
    edited July 2015
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

19916.jpg

And here I thought I used sarcasm correctly there. Darn.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

C 45%
    F 25%
    P 30%

Mine:
    10% carbs
    20% protein
    70% fat

19916.jpg

And here I thought I used sarcasm correctly there. Darn.

maybe, maybe not