Met all macros for the day, and have spare calories in budget to use

Options
What would you do with your spare calories?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd try to eat something with iron. I need more iron. Or Vitamin K, since I'm low on that, too. Everyone has their goals. What are yours? That's what you should do. :)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Ice cream
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Well, I have 22 more lbs to lose till I hit my goal weight. This week I've lost a lot more weight than I expected, and I normally eat all my exercise calories back. I worry that I'm losing more lean body mass than fat. I suppose I could treat myself to a calorie dense treat and get closer to my 500 cal deficit. If I don't eat anything else for the day I'll be at a 1400 cal deficit (exercise calories.) This will be the second day this week I've had a deficit that high, and I'm worried this deficit is causing me to lose more lean body mass than other weeks where I've lost my expected 1 lb per week.

• slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    You said it yourself-you're losing faster than you want. That means you get to eat more. This is a good thing! Enjoy
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cheesecake!
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Wine. Or similar.
  • dmt4641
    dmt4641 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    You are not too far from your goal, so I would personally not have a 1400 calorie deficit in a day. Especially not on a regular basis. I sometimes leave myself some extra calories if I know my tracking may not be accurate (eating out) but otherwise try to stick to my numbers. Eat something calorie dense to get closer to 500. You will eventually need to move to a 250 deficit as you get closer.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Protranser wrote: »

treat time!
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Whatever you'd like? I'd be partial to some terra chips.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Well, I have 22 more lbs to lose till I hit my goal weight. This week I've lost a lot more weight than I expected, and I normally eat all my exercise calories back. I worry that I'm losing more lean body mass than fat. I suppose I could treat myself to a calorie dense treat and get closer to my 500 cal deficit. If I don't eat anything else for the day I'll be at a 1400 cal deficit (exercise calories.) This will be the second day this week I've had a deficit that high, and I'm worried this deficit is causing me to lose more lean body mass than other weeks where I've lost my expected 1 lb per week.

Two choices.

1. eat more
    2. exercise a bit less
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Do you mean that you hit your protein and fat for the day, or do you mean that you hit your protein, fat, and carbs for the day and still have calories left over.

If it's the latter, then you need to check the database entries that you are using. You should be right on with calories if you hit all 3 macros.

Example:

Calorie goal: 1500
    carb goal: 188g x 4 cal/g = 752 calories
    fat goal: 50g x 9 cal/g = 450 calories
    protein goal: 75g x 4 cal/g = 300 calories

Add those together and you get 752 + 450 + 300 = 1502 calories from macro targets.

If your macros and calories aren't working out that way within 30 calories or so, you need to double-check the nutritional info on the food items in your diary.
  • Protranser
    Options
    Thanks for the good suggestions everyone :) I'm going to eat more, I feel like I'm doing just enough exercise
  • Protranser
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    Do you mean that you hit your protein and fat for the day, or do you mean that you hit your protein, fat, and carbs for the day and still have calories left over.

If it's the latter, then you need to check the database entries that you are using. You should be right on with calories if you hit all 3 macros.

Example:

carbs: 188g x 4 cal/g = 752 calories
    fat: 50g x 9 cal/g = 450 calories
    protein: 75g x 4 cal/g = 300 calories

Add those together and you get 752 + 450 + 300 = 1502 calories from macro targets.

If your macros and calories aren't working out that way within 30 calories or so, you need to double-check the nutritional info on the food items in your diary.

I hit my protein for the day. I usually have no issue meeting my fat and carb macros for the day so I don't even look at those numbers anymore :wink: I also hit my calcium, iron, potassium, and fiber for the day.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Example:

carbs: 188g x 4 cal/g = 752 calories
    fat: 50g x 9 cal/g = 450 calories
    protein: 75g x 4 cal/g = 300 calories

I hit my protein for the day. I usually have no issue meeting my fat and carb macros for the day so I don't even look at those numbers anymore :wink: I also hit my calcium, iron, potassium, and fiber for the day.
    Great! I was just checking. ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I would eat if hungry and if not I would skip it.
  • Protranser
    Options
    nvsmomketo wrote: »

I tried skipping eating because I wasn't hungry earlier this week even though I had about 900 more calories left in my budget, and I ended up losing more than 1 lb this week. This is part of the dilemma I have now :( I am worried about losing more lean body mass than fat, and if I've been reading things right, it takes more effort to build lean body mass than fat? Is that how it works?
  • nvmomketo
    Options

I tried skipping eating because I wasn't hungry earlier this week even though I had about 900 more calories left in my budget, and I ended up losing more than 1 lb this week. This is part of the dilemma I have now :( I am worried about losing more lean body mass than fat, and if I've been reading things right, it takes more effort to build lean body mass than fat? Is that how it works?

Oops. Sorry. I missed that you still have 900kcal to go. You must be really good at picking nutrient dense foods if you hit your macros - impressive.

Maybe something that seems small but packs a big punch like some nuts or cheese?

I find weight loss isn't linear. If one week is 0.5 lbs lost and the next is 1.5lbs gone, then often another week will have no losses at all. At least that is how my body seems to work. In the big picture, are you losing at the rate that you want?
  • Protranser
    Options

Oops. Sorry. I missed that you still have 900kcal to go. You must be really good at picking nutrient dense foods if you hit your macros - impressive.

Maybe something that seems small but packs a big punch like some nuts or cheese?

I find weight loss isn't linear. If one week is 0.5 lbs lost and the next is 1.5lbs gone, then often another week will have no losses at all. At least that is how my body seems to work. In the big picture, are you losing at the rate that you want?

Thanks for the suggestions :)

I normally lose at the rate I want. This last week scares me because I've lost a lot more than I was expecting. Perhaps the next few weeks I wont lose anything and that will make up for my sudden extra loss this week.
  • nvmomketo
    Options
    I used to call those weeks where I lost more than expected a "whoosh"... Can't remember who coined that phrase, but i felt it fit my sudden losses well.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    NM- question was already answered.