What foods have you replaced? What have you eliminated?

Options
umayster
umayster Posts: 651 Member
Not as in 'never' eat, but foods you no longer consider part of your everyday eating plan.

I've replaced..
soda, milk & juice with water
half/half with heavy cream
cereal with eggs

& eliminated..
cake, pastry, bread, buns, cookies, chips & crackers
sugar/sweetener in coffee

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I love my eggs because they are the perfect food. :)
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Foods I eat less of is
    Breads
    Pasta
    Potatoes
    Red meat
    Milk
    Cereal
    Pancakes
    French toast
    Tea
    Sweets
    Foods I have cut off all together
    Soda and Juice
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I've replaced
    full sugar/full fat yogurt with a nonfat low sugar greek yogurt
    Half and half with almond milk
    3 whole eggs scrambled with 1 whole 2 whites scrambled
    big bowl of ice cream with a kiddie one or a 70 cal dream bar

I have eliminated
    nothing
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I replaced:

Diet pop with regular pop (big mistake for me), and then regular pop with carbonated water with lime.
    Milk with coconut cream.
    Evening snacks of ice cream, cookies or chips with macadamia nuts and chocolate chips sweetened with Xylitol, or cheese, or a pepperoni stick.
    Breakfast, lunch, and dinner with meals I eat whenever I am hungry (although I do sit down with the family).
    Sugar (referring to granulated sugar) in coffee with Stevia drops.
    Sugar (granulated) in my children's baking with fruit or stevia drops.
    Flour and starches made from grains (wheat, rice, barley, cornstarch. etc) with coconut flour, flax meal, hemp and chia.
    Noodles with squash.

I eliminated (for myself):

Gluten (celiac, so this is a never).
    Dairy with more than a trace of milk sugar (lactose).
    Processed baked goods (bread, muffin, cake, crackers, rice cakes, etc).
    Liver, sashimi, seaweed... yuck. Probably another never, although you never know.
    About 300 kcal so I am eating at a deficit to lose some weight.

• hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot more fruit. I really haven't eliminated anything, but I eat a lot less of French Fries and very little potato chips. A piece of cake is now a sliver, and I still go for ice cream, but it's a very light dinner when I do that. I am at goal weight now.

Calories in versus calories out worked for me.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    nothing (except salt for medical reasons)
  • pixtaker
    pixtaker Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I cut out Dr. Pepper (and all soda pop) completely. This was extremely difficult but I've been on the wagon for over 2.5 months. All I drink is water (occasionally unsweetened iced tea) and coffee.

I haven't so much cut foods out as I try to make healthier choices. That and portion control.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I crave salt. I watched my salt intake for a while and discovered that it was actually quite low. In the past, I'd roar through a bag of potato chips because of the salt craving. Now I have salted cucumber slices or a pickle instead.

I'd been doing that for about 4 months when I had a bag of chips again. My comment ... "These are SO SALTY" I could barely finish them. I returned to my salted cucumber slices and pickles.

I am trying almond milk rather than cow milk ... I don't tolerate cow milk very well. Stomach upset. And it's nice that it is low cal and tastes pretty good. I'm sort of curious what I can do with it, aside from putting it on cereal and using it in my recipe for French Toast.

That's about it ... I actually eat more variety now than I did before. :)

And with the help of exercise, I can do things like ... have a piece of toast with honey in the evening ... like I did last night after putting in 45 minutes on my bicycle on the trainer in our basement while watching the TDF.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    tomorrow 9 months without salt...and i am so determent, never really hungry, have no gravings...but i sure would love some salty crisps or jerky..what ever.

I find it so easy what i do lol And dont miss it in my cooking.
    But some crisps would be soooo good.

But i dont my BP will be all over the place. So i just dont, why torture myself.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have eliminated low quality foods. If I'm going to have something that packs a bit of a calorie punch, I'm going to have the good stuff dammit. So I stay away from cheap chocolate, average ice cream etc and splurge on the stuff that really satisfies my taste buds.
  • cyronius
    cyronius Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I've moved to diet soft drinks, rather than full sugar versions, but other than that I haven't eliminated anything.

I find that I'm eating less of some things, but that's an incidental side effect of lowered calorie intake rather than a deliberate choice, and even then, if I really want a burger and chips, I'll make sure I leave enough room spare in my calorie limit for the day...
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Nothing replaced, nothing eliminated.
    Moderation, portion control, and better choices.
    Sustainable for me. Over 20 months on maintenance. Over 40 months on MFP. Lost over 1/2 of my original body weight. Works for me.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Regular pop with diet.

I also don't do juices like orange or apple juice for the most part. But if it's in front of me (like on vacation) I'll probably have a bit
  • RobbyWheeler
    RobbyWheeler Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    As most folks will find or have found... its hard to just eliminate foods. If you cant do that you can take the next best step and control what you eat.... Smaller portions of food , cans of soda (if you must) instead of the bargin bottles.

I am one of the millions of folks in the USA or perhaps the world who have problems affording good food. More often then not its some kind of pasta or something with potatoes in it... (a lot of potatoes).... For the most part its chicken but sometimes pork and I dream of steak.

Sea food is great but seldom on the budget... my brother would say its best raw but I prefer it cooked.

There was a time where if I went to a buffet and left without feeling near to exploding... that I was being cheated and the result.... well we know the result. :)

Im still heavy... and I love the buffets.

The trick is , if you have to go to the buffet have some control and limit your intake....a salad is a healthy part of any buffet and I love seafood. If you can leave the buffet feeling comfortable and not guilty you may consider yourself ahead.

Sometimes I need my chips.... and one day I plan to lose my wieght... but know its not quick , easy or instant... has to be a good place to start or at least realisic.

The biggest problem with dieting as well as smoking is feeling you have falle off the wagon and giving up... and going back to all your bad habits..... so you fell of..... it happens... just do your best to resume..

One last thing... I love salad... but if you add cheese , bacon bits and 4 to 6 oz's of dressing your not going to lose wieght. I love Russian dressing.... have you seen many skinny Russians? With all due respect to our soviet members.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    A brownie got replaced with a Quest brownie!

Yum

A DQ Blizzard got replaced with a Optimum Nutrition Whey protein shake

44 waist pants got replaced with 33 waist.

• umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

44 waist pants got replaced with 33 waist.

:)
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I replaced full fat mayo with low fat mayo since the only reason I use mayo in the first place is to wet tuna for sandwiches.

I sometimes substitute unsweet tea for sweet and DP 10 for Dr Pepper.

I've eliminated no foods, but 21 inches from my waist.
  • Funship
    Funship Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Have not really eliminated anything, except portion size and I now make smarter choices. Oops not true, I have eliminated pecan tarts. Not forever, just for now:)
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have eliminated from my diet is soda, but I never really cared for it anyway.