How do you keep yourself disciplined?

Options

Replies

• alimagnum
    alimagnum Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Discipline ? My goal provides my discipline. For once in my adult life i want to be normal weight. Moving down thro 4 dress sizes is the motivation, think of those shopping trips, and more motivation you have, the less obvious amount of discipline is needed. I admire those who can change what they eat, how much they eat and exercise from the get go and shed lots of pounds in a few months. Well, that ain't me ! I've chunked down 58lbs over 26 months, done it in stages. Be realistic about how long its going to take, dont measure your progress against others. Just keep focused on what you wamt to achieve.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Practice

^^This. It gets to be habit, and after 3+ years I absolutely will not let myself get back to the place I was. The alternative is not acceptable, so will continue to monitor and stay within the "normal" range for my weight.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    disciplined?

i dont want to be fat.

thats my motivation. LOLOL
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    First, I decide what I want to do (e.g. lose weight); you gotta want it! Then, I decide how I want to do it (e.g. calorie counting). Then, I remove any unnecessary obstacles (e.g. choco tacos in the house). Then, I track my progress (e.g. weigh myself). The progress or (lack thereof) keeps me in check. But it all goes back to truly wanting your goal over the alternatives...
  • margaret123mfp
    margaret123mfp Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just tell myself how badly I want it and if I blip all my hard work for that day is ruined I feel. I look at before and after photos on google/here/instagram etc.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Avoid making food decisions when hungry or tired! Eggs and cheese sticks are two fast low calorie and satiating options to get unhungry and buy yourself some time to make a rational good decision. Almonds are good for this also, but higher calorie.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I decided that losing weight was more important than not. It doesn't really take discipline, it just takes reminding myself of my goal.
  • ljones27uk
    ljones27uk Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    depends on what you are trying to achieve.. For me, I am training for a marathon, and I find having an event booked in my diary that I am committed to is great for keeping me dedicated to training. Ive a few family members travelling to the marathon, so I feel like I really need to be ready for it on the day and perform as well as possible.. (for me its all about completing the course, Ive not done a marathon before and have never really been into running)... beyond the marathon Im not sure but I am looking at what else I can get booked up so I dont slip into bad habits and have something more to focus on.
    Re Food and overeating... Old photos of me before I lost a load of weight helps me stay dedicated to not putting it back on.. :-)
  • Holly_Wood_888
    Holly_Wood_888 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    My clothing is my best motivator... Since my journey from 170lbs-119 and a struggle with over eating and eating the wrong things, I keep in mind how I felt being so overweight each morning when I get dressed.
    Each day I make a mental note at how comfortable they feel compared to how they felt when I was heavier :)
  • golden6911
    golden6911 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest trick for me is to put everything on auto pilot. Don't even think about it. Just do it. If I find myself reacting negatively to exercise or food, I know I need to take a step back, cool off, and remind myself that it is just a feeling and I don't have to be a slave to this feeling. I can make a choice to ignore it for now and move on.
  • acoustophoresis
    acoustophoresis Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Keeping a positive feedback loop with yourself is so important. Set micro goals and they add up to big changes!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Establish habits. Then you get pissed off if you miss a workout or don't eat on time. Habits are hard to break, but if you replace bad habits with good habits you'll be better for it.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Logging my food every day on MFP and watching the numbers on the scale. I've been down this road before and have just re-lost the same 45 pounds that I lost 6 years ago (but gained back). That's disheartening. New encouragement/motivation now is regular cardio and free weights for heart and muscle strength, and knowing that there are no "off limit" foods as long as they fit into my plan.
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    At first I was diet focused: I WAS STARVING ALL THE TIME!! Mainly because my eating portions were way off and my body needed time to adjust to eating what it needed to fuel itself vs eating to feel full. In order to stay disciplined, I meal prep ahead of time, I stay away from eating out, and I take my gym clothes with me to work so I can hit the gym on the way home...and I have my husband trained that if I call to make an excuse to come home to help with dinner/laundry/homework..that he demands I hit the gym. I'm way nicer when I exercise anyway, so we both benefit! ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I'm a health and nutrition geek and enjoy fitness and being healthy and fit...doesn't really take a whole lot of effort on my end to do the things I do.
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I look at old photos of myself and then look in my closet and see how the clothes i'm wearing is a few sizes smaller than what I used to wear. That helps to keep me in check. Plus that high I get when I walk out of the gym after a good work-out.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Looking in the mirror and seeing my progress is enough to keep me going.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Discipl....Hahahahah....disciplined her ha, ur um yeah.

I have no discipline and regularly blow through my target by 100-200 calories, so then I have to go for a walk for an hour or so.

Consider adjusting the amount of fats and carbs in your calorie total. Some people feel full on carbs or on fiber, others feel full on fat. If you find the calorie category that makes you feel full at the lowest calorie intake (for me, it's fat, so I put cream in my tea as an appetite suppressant), then you can skew your intake to include more in that category so that you feel more full and need less discipline while still hitting (or approximating) your target.