Healthy, not Thin

Options
I spent my whole life desperate to be skinny. That just added to my depression and anxiety and caused stress and binge eating. I would often feel worthless because of my size and that I deserved to be treated without respect. Quite frankly, I felt like a monster who wasn't quite human and never would become one.

Slowly I grew stronger even though each day is still a fight. I am fat AND I am beautiful. BOTH is okay and I deserve the same amount of respect as everyone else does even if I'm twice the size of some.

I started this journey to get healthy and I know I will get thinner in the process, but that's not my ultimate goal. I do have a hard time reminding myself of that when I am at the gym, however, surrounded by thin ladies working out. I want to live in a world that's less focused on appearance so I try not to fall into that too often. Its hard finding people who see working out the same way. Everyone I know has a goal to get thin and to get pretty. I just want to get healthy.

Anyone else?

Replies

• mandi18481
    mandi18481 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like what you said about just wanting to get healthy. I feel similarly. I have never expected or had the goal to be "thin" because its just unrealistic for me. I want to be a size that makes me feel comfortable in my body. Almost exactly 10 years ago I hit that goal, but I've been gaining ever since. I feel like it is time to take weight loss seriously. I went on a walk/hike a few weeks ago and it left me exhausted and took me 2 days to recover. I don't want to be that out of shape anymore.
    I'm just starting to convince myself that I am worthy of better health and fitness.