Crunches make me sad.

Options
2»

Replies

• ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    thank u arditarose . Think I'll give that a miss - would probably catch my hair in the cable, or bang my head!

I still haven't done them but I want to! Looks way more fun and efficient than stupid crunches.

I <3 cable crunches. Really easy to progressively add weight without having to balance a dumbell.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    ajnb88 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    thank u arditarose . Think I'll give that a miss - would probably catch my hair in the cable, or bang my head!

I still haven't done them but I want to! Looks way more fun and efficient than stupid crunches.

I <3 cable crunches. Really easy to progressively add weight without having to balance a dumbell.

Yeah. They seem like the option for me. I'm back in a deficit so I'll save it for maintenance/bulk (can you tell how much I hate ab work?)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    When I asked this question, the only response I got was Yoga. So... yoga?
  • DvlDwnInGA
    DvlDwnInGA Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I used to hate crunches, then I tried them on a medicine ball. Give them a try like this, they work your core hard while laying on something soft and squishy so you can really concentrate on squeezing your core and not how bad your lower back hurts while doing them on the ground. You get a better range of motion as well.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Really?!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

hahaha. Did you ask on a Saturday afternoon or something?!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Hanging knee raises are great for the core. I do these at the end of a workout with about 3 sets of weighted incline sit ups. I can only manage about 20 reps per set and my core is burning. A great diet is good for revealing abs too. :)
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I was also going to say weighted Russian twists...use a medicine ball or a plate.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I put a roman chair in my living room and use it every morning and every evening noticed a huge difference as I can now hold both legs out straight for a very long 20 seconds..

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Holy moly, thanks for all the suggestions! Y'all are amazing! I'm gonna take some time to sort through these and then start working.
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Y u no deadlift?

Honestly just a matter of procrastination, I guess. My husband tried teaching me a few times, but he's no expert either. He tells me I put it down incorrectly, but based on what he's telling me to do and based on the instructional videos I've watched, it feels like I'm doing it right. We just haven't taken the time to go back to it and to film myself so I can see what doing and so we can get advice from someone a little more experienced.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Cxworx is a great class for core. There are some crunches and crunch variations, but also various planks and work with resistance tubes. I workout every day doing various weight training and cardio, and this class gets me the most in terms of feeling your abs burning!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Ooooh those cable crunches look awesome!!!! I'm gonna try them next gym sesh
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    If you are hardcore look up dragon flags.

You just tried to kill me.. :)

• SaffronSunrise
    SaffronSunrise Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I always feel the ball hamstring curl in my abs...and other places too!
    exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/BWBallLegCurl.html
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Ok that's a lie, but I do hate them! And as a result I'm sorely neglecting my core when it comes to my strength routine. I want to remedy this, so I'm wondering if y'all can help me figure out how to work my core without doing crunches (and preferably without lying down at all!).

Your core is used in pretty much every single exercise you do, unless they are hindering progress in any other area why do you need to target it?