Cardio or weight training?

Options
Hey guys..
So I'm back at the gym and have 6 months to get my dream body.
I don't mind the way I look at the moment but improvements need to be made i have a very tiny waist but my legs and arms are chunky in all the wrong areas, I do want thicker legs but any advice on wether I should do cardio to trim them down then start weight training or should I just drive straight into weights?

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Do both. Given fairly generic objectives do a combination of CV and resistance work until you have more specific ideas of what you want to achieve.

It's not either/ or, they're complimentary.
  • DoogCampbell
    DoogCampbell Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Cardio will improve your fitness and offer fat reduction WHILST you are doing it regularly. You will build some muscle but only a little.

Weights will improve your shape faster as you can target muscles to give yourself a proportion. Additionally weights will build muscle that will inherently burn energy even at rest.

I honestly believe that the best is a combination of both. I would REALLY STRONGLY recommend a lifting program with compound lifts like squat and dead-lift. These bring the fastest shape benefits, slimming and toning thighs, strengthening the waist and back. If you ask the opinion of any of the women here that have worked with a lifting program seriously for 8-12 weeks you will get the same response.

If you are concerned about looking like a bodybuilder, then dream on as that kind of physique will not only take you years.

I would base a program around lifting 3 times a week and cardio as you feel able in-between. I would recommend Strong Lifts 5x5 as a beginner program and you can find references and testimonials all over the board.
  • WRLemmon
    WRLemmon Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    When I first started back to they Gym I used a personal trainer that understood that I wanted to loose weight and tone rather than bulk up. The advice I was given was to always start with strength training, not with too much weight, but be able to do 12-15 reps per set and three sets per machine. I do three days a week working on Legs, Core and Arms then after strength training I go for the Cardio, at least 30 minutes each time and enough to raise the heart rate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    as a matter of general fitness, cardiovascular work and resistance training are both important
  • chasingthesun85
    chasingthesun85 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I've lost 6 1/2 lbs since June 1st doing a combo of both. I do a full body strength workout every other day and cardio almost every day. I only do 15-30 mins of HIIT, and always after lifting weights. Long endurance cardio like jogging for an hour has been proven to destroy your muscles so it's detrimental to strength training. Cardio and weights both burn fat- cardio while your doing it, and weights after as they increase oxygen uptake and raise your bmr over time. I have to say personally if your only going to do one I would do weights as it feels so good having my muscles nice and firm, and my butt looks rather amazing! (*kitten* to the grass squats, lunges deadlifts and butt lifts are the best!) And it's been less than 2 months, weights literally change the shape of your body! Go as heavy as you can for low reps, I only weigh 122 and I'm 5'1 so I'm definitely not bulky but my body is getting firm and it's amazing. Women don't have enough testosterone to get bulky unless they take steroids (female bodybuilders) and of course you can work out as much as you want but if your diet is crap you will be wasting your time, I do carb cycling, low carb on cardio only days, moderate to higher carb on strength days to aid in muscle recovery.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Do more weights than cardio, start with weights end with like 20 mins of cardio. I am a strong believer in strength training before cardio. I have copd as a result, i cannot run as good and cardio basically has me working too hard to breath. Weight lifting has changed my life, cardiovascularly speaking and muscle building as well. Doing legs helps me practice breathing better and i don't exert myself. I havent had any asthmatic flare ups or wheezing in the last 4 months (which is when i started to do only weights). Maybe try something different, you never know how beneficial it can be. I used to do only cardio few weighs and never saw a change in my body (yes cardio helped my breathing but if i stopped i would have tp work so much harded). Weights for me and lite walks all the way.
  • SonjaK14
    SonjaK14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So how many days of weight training is recommended, and how long?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    as a matter of general fitness, cardiovascular work and resistance training are both important

+1
  • sweetochiken
    Options
    I do about an hour to hour and a half daily(but i take my time you could probably take 40 minutes). For five days. Cardio 3 days a week(mainly just fast walking).
    Day 1: upper body
    day 2: legs
    day3: tris, bis, and back
    day 4: butt and legs
    day 5: upper body again.

Thats the run down of my workouts, i gotta look at my notes for specifics.
  • chelseaxxx13
    chelseaxxx13 Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks guys this has been so helpful :) I used to do three days weight training and two days cardio but the amount of people who tell me I needed to lose the weight with cardio) before I started strength training had me thinking I was approaching my fitness workout completely wrong.. So should I do less weights more reps or visa versa?

• sweetochiken
    Options
    Start light and 3-4 sets of 6-10reps. Every wk increase weight and lower your reps. Does it make sense? But only switch to heavy weight once you are ready. Take it slow.
  • chelseaxxx13
    Options
    Yeah I understand.. This is great thanks so much, and finish with 20 mins cardio? Is that every night?
  • sweetochiken
    Options
    I only do it 3 times a wk(sometimes just 2 xs), but thats my choice, i could probably do more. Maybe some else can give some insight, but i go one day on and one day off. I only walk 2 miles, because i am already losing a lot of calories from nursing.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Both. Weights then cardio, or alternating days.
  • chelseaxxx13
    Options
    Great.. Understand a lot more clearly now thanks for your time guys
  • tracie999
    tracie999 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    look up jamie easons livefit 12 week program, im on week three and enjoying it.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Both. I like both on everyday. But it all depends on your conditioning. HIIT is great cardio for slimming down. Weights for "building", even if you are female don't be afraid to lift heavy. It won't happen overnight and you can always stop building when you have enough muscle for your own liking.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Both, I think. I do 3 days a week of each on alternating days.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Both. Weights then cardio, or alternating days.

I personally prefer alternating days but I train for half marathons so during race season my runs get pretty long. The difference is that in the "off-season" I do core and upper body one day, run 5K or so the morning of the next day and then do legs that evening after work. And repeat. The extra day between doing legs and running keeps my legs from feeling dead right from the start of the run.
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    tracie999 wrote: »
    look up jamie easons livefit 12 week program, im on week three and enjoying it.

I'm on week 3 last day of rest! Love it too!