Afternoon snacks - ideas!?!?

Options
rigby619
rigby619 Posts: 28 Member
Hi all,

Looking for ideas - low calorie snacks for mid afternoon... I am toning and trying to lose Body fat...

I have fruit with peanut butter around 10am so looking for different ideas? That are quick!

Replies

• catch_me_ifu_can
    catch_me_ifu_can Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I make a batch of these on the weekend and freeze for snacks when I'm getting bored. They are a little work but are so delicious.

http://www.damyhealth.com/2012/03/cauliflower-pizza-bites/

I rotate through celery/carrot sticks, blueberries, raw almonds, miso soup, chopped cucumber with olives and yoghurt with some frozen berries for something quick to grab :)
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Right now (and because they're in season) I'm really into having a bit of cheese with a few cherries, apricots or strawberries. I'm also a big fan of hard boiled eggs because they are so satiating. Also, plain Greek yogurt (with a light dusting of cinnamon if you like) is delicious, and it has a decent amount of protein.
  • kimw91
    kimw91 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    A bowl of (flavored) yoghurt, a protein bar, rice cakes with hummus/cottage cheese and honey/jam/avocado/egg, a piece of (homemade) banana bread.
  • tombainbridge10
    tombainbridge10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Subway turkey breast
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Nakd raw fruit and nut bars are a handy afternoon snack. Greek yoghurt is also a go-to of mine.
  • rigby619
    Options
    Thanks all, might have to try Greek Yogurt with some fruit maybe and the banana loaf!v
  • thecookingnurse
    thecookingnurse Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am loving uncooked sugar snap peas right now.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I just had vanilla greek yogurt (yoplait, 100 calories) with 1 Tbs PB2 mixed in (22 +/- cals) ~ yummy! appx 122 calories for a filling afternoon snack :)
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    luna or cliff bars,caramel rice cakes,hummus & chopped veggies,nuts & dates
  • edwardetr
    edwardetr Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    rigby619 wrote: »
    Thanks all, might have to try Greek Yogurt with some fruit maybe and the banana loaf!v
    Greek yogurt is a great snack. I just finished a cup with Walden Farms calorie free syrup. Loaded with protein.

• rigby619
    Options
    I have some Greek yogurt with grapes and almond nuts to try today.

Will give some of the other idea a go throughout the week... especially the sugar snap peas! :-)
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I always have greek yogurt topped with a few pecans and a drizzle of honey :)

Houmous with chopped veggies also good.

I have also made roasted chickpeas a few times - they are actually pretty good. From memory, drain and rinse a can of chickpeas, then add a drizzle of oil and whatever spices you like. I have experimented with chilli flakes, paprika, curry powder etc. Mix well, then pour onto a lined baking tray and pop in the oven for about 40 mins. They keep for a day or so in a paper bag (but I like them best when still warm and crunchy). Great healthy alternative to crisps with the benefit of healthy protein from the chickpeas.
  • kirstens1984
    kirstens1984 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    another recipe which I love for a snack is peanut butter brownie cake. I make it once every few weeks then chop into 16 slices and it can keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks (it never lasts that long in my house!)

- 250g peanut butter
    - 125g chopped hazelnuts
    - 250g chopped and pitted medjool dates (or any soft dates would do)
    - 25g coconut oil
    - 2 tbsp. honey
    - 5 tbsp. raw cacao (could replace with cocoa powder but may have to use more?)

Put everything into a food processor, until you get a brownie consistency (you may have to add ingredients slowly).
    Place mixture into a cake tin and press down, then cover and freeze for 2 hours. Remove from freezer, slice up and keep in an airtight container in the fridge.
    1/16 cake is approx. 200 calories.

Really quick and simple, yummy too!
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Whole Foods demos had this fruit paste table one day and they were offering samples with cheese. It was delicious! I threw out the package wrap so I don't remember what the brand was, but I cut little pieces and make a plate with some cheese. It's very satisfying. - sweet and protein (Oh, I also discovered "Skinny" cheese brand - 35calories/ounce; higher protein than regular cheese. It's quite tasty)
  • MaraAraLara
    MaraAraLara Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    No Fat Greek yogurt & Quinoa with Watermelon, Nut butter boats (almond butter on celery with raisins dotted on!) Almonds & Blueberries. Turkey slices and Sweet potato (I cook up a weeks worth at a time) Green/Fruit Tea, Black Coffee, Drink lots of water - sometimes we think we need a snack and we are just hungry! Air popped popcorn (31 cals a cup!) with a little salt. I also make paleo dark chocolates at home for a sweet treat from time to time and they vary from about 43 to 67 calories each (depending on what I add in). Hope you find something useful there! :)
  • rigby619
    Options
    Oh I love the idea peanut butter brownie cakes I'll be giving that a go!! :-)
  • gianasmommy0205
    gianasmommy0205 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I take 1 ounce avocado and whip it together with one tablespoon part skim ricotta - use that on one WASA rye cracker... Sprinkle with a little dry Italian seasoning and squeeze a couple drops of fresh lime juice.
  • Electromyrmex
    Electromyrmex Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like Greek yogurt (Chobani vanilla is only 120 calories).

Also in the yogurt aisle is one called Elli Quark, which I think is better than Greek yogurt and is only 80 calories.

Bare Organic Fuji Apple chips are great (and only 90 calories a serving).

I like Plentils (especially the garlic parmesan flavor) if I'm craving chips
    (130 calories a serving)

Lately I've been eating low fat crackers (or flax seed crackers) w/ hummus

Also Inka Sweet Plantain chips are delicious (I think 130 calories for 20 chips)

Beef jerky/ turkey jerky (I like Divine Bovine brand)

McCanns Irish Oatmeal packet (160 calories I think)

You can make cookie w/ bananas, quick cook oats, and chocolate chips/nuts/etc (I got the recipe off Pintrest, just those three things nothing else!)

I've also been on a cantaloupe phase lately.
  • AloneWolf4
    AloneWolf4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    rigby619 wrote: »

Yes, Greek Yogurt (200g) with teaspoon of honey! ..about 173 cal o:)
  • AloneWolf4
    AloneWolf4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cucumber and dried pork ham sticks!
    Cucumber - 100g - 14 cal
    Dried pork ham sticks - 13g - 38 cal