Redundant Issues in Conversation

Options
2»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, well, most of the time, I'm a little akward with people. Sometimes, I get so caught up in what they say, that I can't think of a next thing because I can't move off of it.

That must suck that you have that issue problem.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    When people on your FL message you "So how old are you, where do you live?"

I link them to my profile page, saves a lot of typing. In the real world people constantly say things that are redundant, myself included, my mother actually gives step by step instructions on how to drive your car to the bank to make a deposit for her. Instead of handing me the slip and the cash/check she says.
    Ok Serena, take this check/cash (I have to nod so she knows I am listening to her completely.)
    Get in your car (Nod)
    Drive to the bank (Nod)
    Take the slip and the deposit (nod, nod, so she knows there's two things I am taking in with me)
    Get out of you car with them (Nod)
    Walk into the bank (Nod)
    Give whatever teller is available both the deposit and check/cash (nod)

Then I mess her all up and say "But mother, I am going thru the drive through." To which step by step continues again from the beginning but she informs me how to go through the drive thru instead. :explode:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    ...people who say "pizza pie".

squeeze.gif

pizza is Italian for pie, so "pizza pie" is literally "pie pie". which makes me think of this guy...

tumblr_lpl08ckndZ1qeiwt7o1_500.jpg
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Your people skills need work. No wonder you are awkward with people.

Not his fault people are dumb.

Must also suck being so smart.
  • tryin08
    tryin08 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    It drives me crazy when people say, " In my opinion, me, personally..." Uggh! Who else would it be?
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options

I link them to my profile page, saves a lot of typing. In the real world people constantly say things that are redundant, myself included, my mother actually gives step by step instructions on how to drive your car to the bank to make a deposit for her. Instead of handing me the slip and the cash/check she says.
    Ok Serena, take this check/cash (I have to nod so she knows I am listening to her completely.)
    Get in your car (Nod)
    Drive to the bank (Nod)
    Take the slip and the deposit (nod, nod, so she knows there's two things I am taking in with me)
    Walk into the bank (Nod)

Then I mess her all up and say "But mother, I am going thru the drive through." To which step by step continues again from the beginning but she informs me how to go through the drive thru instead. :explode:
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Get in your car (Nod)
    Drive to the bank (Nod)
    Walk into the bank (Nod)

next time, you should call her when you get to the bank only tell her you're at the 7-11 and they don't have a drive through and act like you are really confused about what you should do next.

:tongue:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

When they said "beach house", I got it. I didn't hink you said I live in a beach house in Ohio.

Ohio doesn't have beaches? It's got that giant lake at the top. I am pretty sure there are beaches on that lake. I'm sure there are houses along those beaches.

ETA: Yep. I knew there were. here is photographic evidence:

227331_0.jpg

So is this a beach house or a lake house?! I NEED TO KNOW!

I have a guy at work that asks people if they rent or lease a property. They're slightly different by definition but for all intents, they mean the same thing.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'll add 2 others i can't move past:

When someone starts with "To be honest..." That makes me want to say, "So should I disregard everything you didn't preface with 'to be honest' because you were lying then?"

"Not to be (X) but (evidence they are X)". Hey if you're going to racist/sexist/homophobic/etc etc, just go for it.
  • JT_Taylor_99
    Options
    I park in the driveway but drive on the parkway.
  • MySignaturecolour
    MySignaturecolour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The woman that sits next to me at work every conversation starts with "I literally", really you are literally killing my over usage of that word.
  • MySignaturecolour
    MySignaturecolour Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    HOLY CRAP she just did it again when she answered the phone she told the person on the other in "I literally just walked back to my desk" they are half-way across the country they could care less if you just walked up to your desk. Just answer the damn phone. UGH.

Ok chilling out and literally putting my headphones on.
  • Lovdiamnd
    Lovdiamnd Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I need to go to the ATM machine :mad: :explode: :mad: :explode: :flowerforyou: "Automated Teller Machine" machine
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    "The La Brea Tar Pits" must drive you nuts ...
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of this one, I get into trouble every time I mention the hot water heater. I'm reminded that if the water is already hot then I don't need a heater, right?
    I hate to quibble but it is possible to need a heater for hot water. Perhaps you would like your hot water to be even hotter.

The thing that people say that drives me nuts is "anyways". Of course there are those that will argue that it is in the dictionary and therefore is correct, but the dictionary labels it as an informal or dialect form of the word anyway which is the correct word to use.

Another thing that drive me nuts is when tries to sound smart by using the a subjective pronoun but an objective pronoun should actually be used. For example: "As for you and I, we can walk." Since "you and I" are objects of the preposition "for" it should be "you and me".

I could go on as well.
  • jonjhayden
    Options
    I have a guy at work that asks people if they rent or lease a property. They're slightly different by definition but for all intents, they mean the same thing.

Oh, oh there is another one. When people mean to say "for all intents and purposes" but instead say "for all intensive purposes". What the hell are "intensive purposes"? Only the most extreme purposes? I don't know. It's mind bottling!
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, well, most of the time, I'm a little akward with people. Sometimes, I get so caught up in what they say, that I can't think of a next thing because I can't move off of it.

That must suck that you have that issue problem.

LOL

ETA: and EVERYTHING jon's said. I used to say "anyways" and had to write anyway abt 500 times to get it right. I'm glad I was forced to- the world should know this.

my peeves are when people say "Pacific" instead of "specific" and "Has per" instead of "As per". People using words/phrases out of context also tends to bug me.
  • jonjhayden
    Options
    Okay. One more for mfp specificallly is not knowing the difference between loose and lose.

One has a "loose" tooth. If the tooth falls out, then they "lose" the tooth.

It drives me nuts when I read someone wants to loose weight.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    Okay. One more for mfp specificallly is not knowing the difference between loose and lose.

One has a "loose" tooth. If the tooth falls out, then they "lose" the tooth.

It drives me nuts when I read someone wants to loose weight.

This post takes my breathe away. I can hardly breath!!
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Got a note once informing me she was headed "next store" to borrow a cup of sugar. :noway: