Hungry since I returned from holiday!

Options
Hello everyone,

I went on a camping holiday 2 weeks ago, and while I found it impossible to track my diet online while away, I made sensible food choices and exercised a fair amount (while keeping relaxed and enjoying the holiday).
Ever since I returned, I have been back to tracking my Calories and exercise and am doing exactly the same things as before I went away - but suddenly I find myself hungry all the time, just like when I first started losing weight!
I aim to eat 1290 Calories a day and eat back some of my exercise Calories - I used to find it to be a generous allowance, and currently I don't any more :(
I have been keeping an eye on my protein and fat intakes and ensuring they're sensible.
Has anyone else ever had this problem? How have you overcame it? I'm hoping I'll settle back into things soon...

Replies

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Yep, I went on my honeymoon about 3 weeks ago and gained 2lbs. When I got back, I vowed to take it off, but instead continued to eat higher amounts (without all of the walking, etc) and put on another lb. Now I'm finally settling back into my eating patterns, but that hunger was real!
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    HeatherCrazyCat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Aww congratulations on your wedding, and I hope that you enjoyed your honeymoon, Queenmunchy! :)
    I think that gaining 2lbs over such an important and joyous event, while frustrating to you I'm sure, is minor in the scheme of things.
    It is hard to get your body back into the right mindset after a break though, isn't it?
    I lost 2lbs in the 2 weeks between when I weighed myself just before my holiday and when I came back, and I made sure I went straight back into "business as usual" upon my return, but I keep being REALLY irritable due to the near-constant hunger - my meals just don't satisfy like before! :'(
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    My lowest weight was just before my vacation last year... 1.5 pound from my goal weight... I haven't been able to get back to it since. I gained 2 pounds in that vacation and I've just been hungrier since, and I've pretty much maintained at 1 pound more than I was a year ago...

Really wish I had a solution for you but you're definitely not alone :( I just came back from yet another vacation and I'm just hoping I won't end up maintaining that higher weight from now on (which is now 5 pounds from my goal weight). But even as it is, I'm hungry most of the time. It sucks.
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    Options
    I think you've done really well to maintain a weight that is so close to your target over a prolonged period, Franc127 - it is much harder to lose weight when you don't have a lot left to lose, isn't it?
    I'm lucky in the respect that I am still about 50lbs away from my target weight, so it's currently coming off quite quickly so long as I log and track everything. But I've set myself strict targets in order to get the main part of my weight off at 2lbs/week to start with, and the post-holiday hunger is a killer!
    Maybe now you're back from your holiday, your body might have enjoyed the break and you can reach target with a few tweaks? Or maybe, so long as you're healthy and happy, you could re-set your goals so your current weight is your new target weight as you've sustained it for so long? You might not feel so bad then!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,944 Member
    Options
    I was hungry after my holiday too, so I have eased back into it by raising my calorie limit a bit.

I've continued to lose weight, but much more slowly.

Monday will be 3 weeks back, so I think then I'll lower the calorie limit a bit and get back on track.
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    Options
    That's a good idea, Machka9 - I wish that I had been sensible enough to think the same way!
    Today is the first day (well, so far so good anyway) that I have not been starving all day since my return. I will see how today and the weekend go, and if I feel hungry again, I think that I will follow your lead and take a more balanced approach.
    I am just too keen to hit my targets, but it's only myself I am competing against - sometimes it's good to take a step back a bit and put things in perspective.