help with logging

Options
Hi hope everyone is enjoying their day. So I have a question and also any adv8ce on improving what I am doing is welcome. Every morning I go to the track. I do about 14 laps and maintain about 50 mins average. But my uncertainty is when I log my exercise what do I call it. I jog from the break line (basically where the straight way starts) to the middle of the curve at the top and bottom of the track. I thrn stop running at the middle and walk half of the rounded curve at the top and bottom till the next breakline. So essentially out of a whole lap I walk 1 whole curve. Im trying to work my way to exclusively jogging but ive been doing it this way for about 6 weeks and im thinking my body has kinda train3s irself qhere to get really tired and want to stop. Would I log this as walking or jogging and any ideas in how to get myself running the all the laps without havi g to walk?

Replies

• CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Here is what I would do; other opinions may differ.

​I would choose walking for two reasons, the estimated Calories burned for walking a certain distance is less than the estimated Calories burned for running the same distance; logging those estimated Calories as walking rather than running would help to reduce the error of overestimating Calories burned. Second, there are walking entries for speeds up to 5.0 mph; so until the average speed for the entire time goes above 5.0 mph, log it as walking, which provides the incentive to achieve a faster pace so the exercise would have to be logged as running to provide an estimate for Calories burned.

Track length can vary, but the current standard is 400 meters.

14 laps x 400 meters/lap = 5600 meters = 5.6 km
    5.6 km x 0.621 mi/km = 3.47 mi
    (3.47 mi / 50 min) x (60 min/hr) = 4.16 mph

Log as 50 minutes "Walking, 4.0 mph, very brisk pace"
  • brandi712
    brandi712 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    @CyberTone, you just blew my mind. And thank you! I have often wondered this myself and I do the same thing sometimes as OP
  • jezzy32908
    jezzy32908 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow @ CyberTone...incredible. U Should b an app in my smartphone. I wonder no more! thanks so much everyone!