Real-Life, Real-Girl (or guy) Solutions Needed

Options
My old trainer said you don't see fat runners. Well hmm... *kitten* you. I do.

I'm 5'5", 240, I have alot of jiggle between my legs, and I have a floppy big bum. There I've said it. I'm a big girl.

That said, I'm struggling with my running/jogging. I recently did a 10k, and I think by the grace of whatever it is you believe in, I did not have any chafing, except on a spot that I had that I covered with a bandaid, and that was only becuase the sweat made it fall off.

That said, whenever I practice at the track, I can get to almost 2 miles, but my @$$ chaps. Bad, like blood chaps. The inside of my legs do ok usually. I have tighter/compression like capris on. But my butt. ouch. I'm ok with using glide, but dang it, really I have to lube up EVERY TIME I want to run period??? No, there has to be another answer. I'm training for a 5k in October, and I really want to knock this one out, but dang it, at this rate I'm spending more time healing than I am getting out there.

I'm not wearing cotton undies, I have wicking type. So that's off the list already.

Replies

• cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the answer is just some kind of lube, whether you use Body Glide or cycling chamois cream or plain ol' petroleum jelly. That's why the stuff is so popular--everyone uses it because everyone needs it. :)
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Everybody needs it and doesn't wanna talk about it. lol ;)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the answer is just some kind of lube, whether you use Body Glide or cycling chamois cream or plain ol' petroleum jelly. That's why the stuff is so popular--everyone uses it because everyone needs it. :)
    Agreed.

Also, @cheshirecatastrophe has the best profile pic ever!
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I wonder if a really firm compression underpants like Spanx would work. Chaffing is the pits! Hats off to you for running.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    My old trainer said you don't see fat runners. Well hmm... *kitten* you. I do.

I'm 5'5", 240, I have alot of jiggle between my legs, and I have a floppy big bum. There I've said it. I'm a big girl.

That said, I'm struggling with my running/jogging. I recently did a 10k, and I think by the grace of whatever it is you believe in, I did not have any chafing, except on a spot that I had that I covered with a bandaid, and that was only becuase the sweat made it fall off.

That said, whenever I practice at the track, I can get to almost 2 miles, but my @$$ chaps. Bad, like blood chaps. The inside of my legs do ok usually. I have tighter/compression like capris on. But my butt. ouch. I'm ok with using glide, but dang it, really I have to lube up EVERY TIME I want to run period??? No, there has to be another answer. I'm training for a 5k in October, and I really want to knock this one out, but dang it, at this rate I'm spending more time healing than I am getting out there.

I'm not wearing cotton undies, I have wicking type. So that's off the list already.

Something is not adding up here. You say that you are "a big girl" (Your BMI is 39.9, Morbid obesity range begins at a BMI of 40) and that apparently should have no correlation with being able to perform physical activity? You have specific problem areas that are causing chafing (even bleeding) because of your size. My first and most important recommendation would be to continue down the path of physical activity and calorie deficit and lose weight. This should help tremendously with this problem.

Secondly, if you cannot perform this exercise without injury to yourself, it may be a good idea to try something else for now. Something that won't cause you to chafe, maybe something like swimming. Not to mention the possibility of injury and strain you are putting on your joints right now. Think about trying something lower impact, because like you said, it sucks spending more time healing than doing your preferred activity.

Lastly, if you really enjoy running and want to continue without injury you already know your options. It's lube, chamois cream, compression pants, etc. These can only minimize the problem, but any inconvenience you suffer from having to use it far outweighs chafing/bleeding.

I hope you find something that works for you, best of luck!
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    Well, big girl is the nice way of saying a ridiculously horridly fat lard *kitten*. :smiley: but yes I intend to continue. I do enjoy the run/jogging/walking, I didn't at first but I'm hooked on the high I guess. But the weight loss does not happen overnight, and I want to be active now. That's where the frustration comes in. So yes lube it is! lol Just wondered if there wasn't something else out there that people have tried and had success with. Thanks!

• michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    i don't really know what to do about the bloody *kitten*, but this article may interest you: http://www.runnersworld.com/runners-stories/ultra
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Just a heads up.... the chafing thing may not go away when you lose the weight. I still chafe all over the place and I only have a couple vanity pounds to lose. I just happen to have sensitive skin so I use a combination of body glide and a talc lotion that turns into powder. I chafe between my butt cheeks when it's especially warm out or when I'm running long distance. I also chafe on one side along the bra line, in my belly button. around where my pant line sits, under my arm where my armband sits and many other strange places. In the end I'd rather take the extra five or ten minutes to do my anti chafing routine before heading out that have a painful shower later on. Oh, and btw, If you are going to use the Talc lotion make sure you put your contacts in before applying the lotion.... I found that out the hard way as well.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    This stuff is really intended for use while riding butt.......

jix6bra6zgd0.jpg

it's been a lifesaver for Olympic distance duathlons.....