7000 calorie deficit to lose a pound?

Options

Has anyone else seen this article? What do you think of the research? I'm on Day 96 of counting calories and I am losing more slowly than predicted, so I am curious if 7000 calories is a more accurate number for my body than 3500 calories.

http://www.runnersworld.com/weight-loss/biggest-weight-loss-myth-revealed

(Either way, I'm not giving up, but I thought this article was interesting.)

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Doesn't match my experience at all. For me, if anything, the 3500 kcal/lb is an overestimate. The article seems full of half truths and oversimplifications, e.g. regarding metabolic adaptation. Plus I'm skeptical of some of the other claims.

You might get better traction on this if you posted in the "Weight Loss" forum instead of the "Gaining Weight" forum, by the way.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day?! 3500 a wk. Yeah unrealistic. 7000 is a 1000 cals. I dont know. Seems unhealthy either way. Have you done a metabolic test to see how many calories you are burning? Once you know that you can see how many calories you need to consume in order to lose. Article seems kooky. From a dr who is not a nutrionist, but a mathematician?
  • ihatetodietalways
    ihatetodietalways Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Another thing that seems cooky is that we think we can measure our daily consumption of calories to any great accuracy (especially by believing the nutrition label which may be off by many % points) and also believe that our body is burning the exact same number every day.
  • Cali_125
    Cali_125 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I didn't intend to post this here...I meant to post it in the weight loss category...sorry about that!