Weighing liquids

Is in inappropriate to weigh liquids using ounces on a scale? Taring the glass and then pouring the water in?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Water is fine, as 1 milliliter of water weighs 1 gram, but not for other liquids. Measuring cups will be better.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    yes it is.

solid food is best measured by weight, not volume because its irregularly shaped. fill a cup with cheerios, and there is a lot of empty space. so its not a valid measure. so your better off going by mass.

liquids conform to the shape of their container, 100% occupying the volume.

so its more appropriate to measure liquids in volume (cups, fl oz). And this is also how the nutritional value will be given (in units of volume not mass).
  • NekoneMeowMixx
    NekoneMeowMixx Posts: 410 Member
    yes it is.

solid food is best measured by weight, not volume because its irregularly shaped. fill a cup with cheerios, and there is a lot of empty space. so its not a valid measure. so your better off going by mass.

liquids conform to the shape of their container, 100% occupying the volume.

so its more appropriate to measure liquids in volume (cups, fl oz). And this is also how the nutritional value will be given (in units of volume not mass).

What they said. What liquids are you trying to measure? Pro-tip, blender bottles (and similar) have notches on the side that actually show you how many ounces of liquid you have in the bottle. I suggest utilizing this if you're curious about how many ounces you're drinking.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Almost everything you'd drink will be heavier than water (where 1 fl oz = 1 oz), so weighing it will shortchange you. Oil's are lighter than water (hence why they float on top), and you will under measure.

I often weigh my milk for cereal as I'm too lazy to get the measuring cups out and clean them, but it works out in my favor anyways. If I'm cooking it goes in a measuring cup.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    You're "supposed" to use a liquid measuring cup to measure liquids, but honestly, I just use my scale and it works just fine for me. I've measured out 8oz in a measuring cup and compared it to the scale and it's pretty much on. So, if you do measuring cups or scale, pick one or the other and stay consistent.
  • jenniejoy07
    jenniejoy07 Posts: 78 Member
    I was just wondering. I use a 22 oz waterbottle most of the day. But, at night I drink out of a glass. Just water; nothing else.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Put measuring cup on scale, pour in liquid to measurement, and write the weight down for later when you want the liquid again but don't want to dirty a measuring cup.
  • Terri6627
    Terri6627 Posts: 39 Member
    If it's the same liquids you use all the time then measure out the serving it says on the product and weigh it. For example measure out 250mL and discover that's it's 247 grams. Write it down somewhere so you have a reference for what the serving is. If you do that, it should work :)