Self-conscious

fketteland
fketteland Posts: 19 Member
so I started my weight loss journey in March of this year and as I lose weight and become more and more and more self-conscious about the way look how things fit and sometimes what people think of me.. It's getting to the point where I get anxious and nervous about going out with my friends. Is this normal??? Does this happened to everyone

Replies

• kaitlinconidi
    kaitlinconidi Posts: 17 Member
    I'm sorry you feel self-conscious. I can understand why you may feel that way with your body changing and maybe your clothes not fitting the way they used to. Just remember to be proud you decided to become healthier and embrace the new you! Good luck! :)
  • fketteland
    fketteland Posts: 19 Member
    I'm sorry you feel self-conscious. I can understand why you may feel that way with your body changing and maybe your clothes not fitting the way they used to. Just remember to be proud you decided to become healthier and embrace the new you! Good luck! :)

Thank you so much
  • Wii_Player
    Wii_Player Posts: 2,454 Member
    That is probably because you are paying so much more attention to yourself now and you notice more things than before. Also, it seems like our mind takes so much longer to catch up with our weight loss. What we see is usually much much worse than what others see. Be proud and walk your head up high!
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    it happens to everyone. Go have fun, chances are no one is paying as much attention to what you're doing as you are. Remember a big smile and a great laugh are far more attractive than a wall flower!
  • Barbados1965
    Barbados1965 Posts: 33 Member
    Self-conscious can be hard daemon to fight. I lost fat and toned up but sometimes when I look at my stomach it still looks large when I know it is not. I've gotten better by realizing the tape measure and they way my clothes fit are the real truths of my progress. Keep up your good work your self-image will improve.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Being fat has it's advantages. But once you get comfortable with yourself, the visibility won't be so bothersome. It took me about a year after I lost my weight to stop bringing larger clothing into the dressing room with me.

If it really becomes an issue, I'd look into some professional support to help you make the transition. In the long run, that's cheaper than regaining the weight you worked so hard to do.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    It's normal to some degree.

If it gets to the point where it keeps you from doing things you would otherwise do, then it may be an anxiety disorder (for example "social anxiety disorder"), and you should see a psychologist to help you work it through.

Being fat can make you somewhat socially invisible. Maybe you've been socially anxious for awhile and the fat was a defense mechanism to keep you "under the radar" for other people's attention. Now you are losing your "castle walls" you feel vulnerable? Just a for-instance of how losing weight might be uncovering issues you need to deal with.

Or you might just be more self-conscious because you are being more body-conscious as a tool for staying on-track for weight loss. Only you can tell if it is an actual problem or just an observation of how you are feeling and thinking.
  • phillipdean299
    phillipdean299 Posts: 113 Member
    It happened to me to some degree. As I started losing weight, I began to realize just how much I had let my self go. Just keep in mind that you are on the right path now and will be very proud of yourself once you achieve your goals.