Shake suggestions?

Options
sed1217
sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
I am trying to overhaul my workday menu and would like to incorporate a breakfast shake. I plan on doing Sunday prep for lunch and dinner for portion control. Being able to just zoom a shake in my Nurtibullet before running out the door seems like the best option for me right now. I have been bad about just grabbing a Larabar and running to work, which gives me no protein. Any advice on a shake? I would like to keep it under 300 calories and have substantial protein content. Prefab shakes or recipes that I can assemble beforehand are both ok.

Replies

• FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I drink Sunwarrior Raw vegan protein shakes with almond milk. I don't add anything to mine, but you can if you want extra calories.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Larabar Alt bars have 10g protein in them, more than a hard boiled egg. That's the one I get to keep in my bag for emergencies.

As for shakes, I'm interested as well. :-)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    I basically start all of my smoothies with Greek yogurt, 1/2 a banana and protein powder. The rest is based on mood and what's in the fridge/freezer. Lately I've been using vanilla Greek, double chocolate protein from ON whey, 1/2 a banana and some PB2. It's delicious.

Other times I like a fruit flavored Greek, vanilla protein powder, 1/2 a banana and a bunch of berries (blueberries, strawberries, etc) This combo also works surprisingly well with citrus fruit and mangos. When I make the citrus-based smoothies I replace the banana with baby carrots. Awesome texture.

Just measure out your portions to keep them below 300 calories. Mine are usually 300-400 and over 40g of protein. You could pre-weigh protein into containers, freeze baggies of banana and fruit (all weighed out) and pre-weigh the yogurt. Best part is you can then pre-log your breakfasts for the week. Plop in the blender and go!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats a good old fashioned shake at a diner. It's always a bonus when they give you the extra in the mixing cup! Rare to see that these days though.