Stretching. How necessary is it?

Options
I don't do much of it, but what are the benefits? Why do it? I stretch maybe 5 minutes before and after i work out, i am probably not doing enough.

Replies

• MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    There actually is no intrinsic value in being able to wrap yourself like a pretzel.
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I didn't stretch before doing Stiff-legged deadlifts for the first time and couldn't walk for a week.

However, a lot of people suggest not stretching while cold (i.e. before warming up), so I generally just warm up with light weights and then do some stretches appropriate for the lift I'm going to do (i.e. back extensions before deadlifts, leg stretches before squats etc)
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    My crossfit trainer doesn't support static stretching before working out because your mussels are like a spring. If it is cold and ridged and you pull on it then it loses it's shape. But once you are warmed up from your workout then you can stretch yourself out to help with flexibility. Not sure if that made sense lol.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. Mainly i stretch my sore muscles to loosen up a bit. But i won't do it cold like yall say. I just wonder, what's the point of all that stretching? My friend does it for like 15 minutes after a workout. I thought, man, i must be doing something wrong .
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Makes sense. Mainly i stretch my sore muscles to loosen up a bit. But i won't do it cold like yall say. I just wonder, what's the point of all that stretching? My friend does it for like 15 minutes after a workout. I thought, man, i must be doing something wrong .

I think it's to encourage blood flow/removal of lactic acid, but don't quote me on that. I never do post-workout stretches and it hasn't really caused me any issues yet.
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different and needs a different amount of stretching. Right now I do not stretch much at all but I don't seem to need it. But stretching is meant to help keep you flexible and your mussels from winding up to much. Again using a spring or slinky as an example you can pull a slinky out super far and once you let go fast it can get tangled. But if you slowly bring it back together it will help it not get tangled. again not sure if I am making any sense.
  • kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    My understanding on the current line of thinking is dynamic warm-up and foam rolling before, stretching after.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

It's up to the individual. I add short yoga routines once or twice a week just to keep everything in check. I think it helps prevent injury...but I'm older, that may be part of the difference. Make sure you do a warm up before stretching. Stretching cold muscles isn't the best practice.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    You're always supposed to warm up with some cardio before working out, it'll start blood flow to your cold/tense muscles, 5-10 minutes worth. Then follow up with some mild stretching in order to loosen up your tendons and tense muscles. Obviously you shouldn't stretch cold. And no you don't need to let stretching get out of hand and become a pretzel. But flexibility is a must. I see all these people who don't warm up or stretch and then just jump right into a workout. 5 minutes in they're standing there holding and rotating a body part and cringing because it's hurting from being shocked instantly without any sort of warmup. That's my opinion and several others. If you don't agree then alright, I just know I've never seen a serious power lifter jump right into deadlifts or squats without a propr warm up and stretch first.
  • sweetochiken
    sweetochiken Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    You're always supposed to warm up with some cardio before working out, it'll start blood flow to your cold/tense muscles, 5-10 minutes worth. Then follow up with some mild stretching in order to loosen up your tendons and tense muscles. Obviously you shouldn't stretch cold. And no you don't need to let stretching get out of hand and become a pretzel. But flexibility is a must. I see all these people who don't warm up or stretch and then just jump right into a workout. 5 minutes in they're standing there holding and rotating a body part and cringing because it's hurting from being shocked instantly without any sort of warmup. That's my opinion and several others. If you don't agree then alright, I just know I've never seen a serious power lifter jump right into deadlifts or squats without a propr warm up and stretch first.

I like this, thanks. :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    How come other mammals stretch all the time when "cold" but we shouldn't? That's so unfair! B)
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I have to stretch after I run or I pay for it for the next 2 days. I warm up before a run by walking briskly for 2 or 3 minutes. But the stretching is a must for me!
  • CancerSurvivor2014
    CancerSurvivor2014 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do a few quick light stretches after a 5 min cardio warm up usually on elliptical before lifting. I did develop runners knee after trying to vamp up my cardio sessions. I found a good series of stretches on youtube for runners knee and no longer get pain in my knee when running. I don't do them every time but I will usually before or sometimes after a long run but I never stretch cold.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I think it is more dangerous to cold stretch, than not stretch at all before a workout. I believe (for me anyways) it is better to do any stretching once I have completed my workout, just before cool down.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    I'll just put this here:

If you do a quick Google Scholar search, you'll come up with over 100 different studies on how beneficial stretching is for you.

You'll also come up with over 100 different studies on how beneficial it is how recovering from injury.

However, if you stretch, you dramatically reduce the likeliness of getting injured in the first place <--- That is a fact.

Unless you like having injuries from doing activities you love to do. That's up to you.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I'll just put this here:

If you do a quick Google Scholar search, you'll come up with over 100 different studies on how beneficial stretching is for you.

You'll also come up with over 100 different studies on how beneficial it is how recovering from injury.

However, if you stretch, you dramatically reduce the likeliness of getting injured in the first place <--- That is a fact.

Unless you like having injuries from doing activities you love to do. That's up to you.

Exactly what I as talking about. Honestly these forums are extremely hit and miss. People like to share their opinions over facts, and are huge fans of bro science it seems. A Google search will result in more useable info and a whole lot less controversy and clashing of opinions.

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I'm only speaking from my experience, but stretching is essential for injury prevention. I have ended up in PT multiple times because of my lack of stretching after a workout. Runners knee, achilles tendonitis, sciatica, now ongoing mystery calf pains. If I was more dilligent with my stretching, I might have been able to avoid some of these injuries (and save myself tons of money in PT copays!).
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Other then my arch for bench I don't stretch. I'm hypermobile and stretching without compensatory stabilization work destabilizes my joints.

I do a lot of rolling both with a foam roller and a lacrosse ball for tight spots.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It really depends on what it is you are doing. I was a gymnast and did karate for years. For those things, stretching to maintain or increase flexibility is imperative. Nowadays I mainly run and lift weights. I sometimes do some light stretching after running but none beyond a couple minutes of walking before. I do have a tendency to stretch between sets while weight lifting. It's more because of having some extra time and that I like to stay flexible than for any reason related to lifting or running, though.

As far as the benefits, stretching can help improve flexibility, and, consequently, range of motion in your joints. Better flexibility may improve your performance in physical activities or decrease your risk of injuries by helping your joints move through their full range of motion and enabling your muscles to work most effectively. I know that being flexible has saved me from injury more than a few times. An awkward fall that might have resulted in a muscle strain instead merely resulted in my looking like a complete klutz, for example.

• distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I like to stretch. I do about ten minutes of upper body stretching and ten minutes of lower body stretching either totally separate from my workout or afterward. It feels good to me and it seems to be helping me improve/maintain my flexibility. When I stretch after working out I find it's a nice way to cool down.