Options
13»

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ktsjourney wrote: »
    If you cycle, do you use earphones? I just bought a bike and will probably start tomorrow. I love listening to music when i'm working out but it seems quite unsafe on a bike? I've googled it and theres a mixed reaction between people.

Yes, I do, but I'm on pretty empty roads.

I've already put myself at significant risk just by being on a bike, on a road. The small extra risk from headphones is irrelevant.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    un0clruoteyp.jpg

this sucker is loud. I've actually used it as a speaker when I teach a class, but when I use it on my bike, it directs the sound primarily to me and not everyone around me. Also it's super easy to pair or re-pair when you get disconnected. And a lot cheaper than Beats.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I doubt anyone will get this, but there is something to be said for no music simply to get the full experience of the ride. There is something almost religious about riding... get on a good road (rural if possible), get into a good cadence, with good breathing... and then just be in the moment. No music, no cell phone, no GPS... just you, the bike, and the road.

I've only ever had a couple of moments in my life where I felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be, exactly when I was supposed to be there. Both times it happened on my bike with no electronics in sight.

Some people require constant stimulus, they fear that without it, they may need to have an original thought. :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I don't think riding with headphones is a particularly great idea.

However, as a compromise you could look into headphones which conduct sound through the cheekbones and as such leave your ears uncovered so you can hear what is going on around you.
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I only wear ear buds in the weight room or when I run. I actually enjoy the quiet, meditative quality of cycling.
  • moesis
    moesis Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Wearing headphones while biking is asking for trouble.

My wife has a small bluetooth speaker mounted to her handlebars, myself, I am with jacksonpt, except I need a GPS to not get lost.
  • eliezalot
    eliezalot Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Nope. Never. Super unsafe. It drives me crazy to see other cyclists (and drivers!) wearing earbuds/headphones. I just want to reach over and yank them out as I go past. On the rare occasions that I drive, I am always extra alert when cyclists have earbuds in. Can they hear me? Are they even aware of me? If you must have music, as others have mentioned, you can get a handlebar mounted speaker.
  • ragto
    ragto Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, some people use music for motivation, some people are just out enjoying an occasional ride and bring music along. Myself I never wear earphones, earbuds etc or listen to music but I'm aware and ok with the fact that people listen to music while cycling, I'm just into concentrating on my goals and listening to my body versus listening to music.
  • brocantrs
    brocantrs Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I wear a single bluetooth earbud in my curb side ear. I do this walking and running also, I want to hear what is going on around me.

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Never. Too dangerous even with one earbud in. Your brain need both ears fully functional to locate the source of a sound. One ear isn't enough.

That said even if I wanted to I don't think I could. Music and training is unnatural to me. I prefer to listen only to the sound of my own suffering.