ART for persistant calf pain/tightness

Options
htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I've had ongoing calf pain/tightness for almost three months now (and I'm talking at rest, when walking, every day-not intermittent), and been unable to exercise. Walking sucks most of the time. I've been to see my doctors, undergone all sorts of testing, and in fact thanks to the suggestion of someone on these forums, am waiting for results of bloodwork for my thyroid as another thing my doc was willing to consider.
While we still don't have a diagnosis, my doctor (an orthopedic doc) has referred me to a chiropractor for Active Release Therapy (ART). He mentioned graston as well, but wanted to go for ART first since it's less painful. I think he's hoping this will work so that we can avoid invasive/painful tests that might be down the road.
I wanted to know if people have had success with this form of treatment for the calves? I'm scheduled for my first appointment on Monday.

Replies

• scamp07
    scamp07 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it but know a few people who have. They have all said it worked very well. Though, they also said it's very uncomfortable. None of them regretted it.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I had it last month for the first time on my shoulder. It was a like a deep tissue massage without the candlelight and music. Now, I have not had it on my calves but I would definitely give it a chance. Good luck.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    So I went to my first appointment, and it went well. He hooked me up to a tens unit first with a heat back on my lower back, then did the ART. Wasn't excrutiating, but there were definetely some spots he got into that did more than tickle. I'm supposed to go twice a week for a few weeks and then we'll re-evaluate and see if it's helping.

I wanted to ask about the adjustments-I told him I was leary of having anything cracked, which he was very respectful of, but did tell me after assessment that he did think that it might help coupled with the soft tissue work. He mentioned my ankles, knees, and left hip. Anyone have feedback on adjustments? Do they hurt? Help? Success? I'm so fed up of this leg pain I'm almost willing to give it a try.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Does stretching your calves provide any level of improvement?