That "holy" moment from people who see me after my weight loss transformation...

Options

Replies

• gemmi33
    gemmi33 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow you look fantastic, and your physique is astounding! You must be so proud of yourself :-)
  • msharrington315
    msharrington315 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, it feels good. I carried so much shame for the majority of my adult life. It takes a while for some of that to go away believe it or not. But the reality of where I am today is settling in. :wink:
  • msharrington315
    edited August 2015
    Options
    My article "400 Pounds and Lost The Will To Live: How I Took My Life Back" talks a little about the shame and self-hate I carried. I tell this story because I personally know others who are in the same place. Knowing how I felt gives them hope for a brighter future. My vision is to help save people from this agony as obesity is a curable disease.
  • tjohnoconnor
    tjohnoconnor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Outstanding and well done. For me it was the time 6 years after my divorce. I was felling good on completing my 3rd year of maintenance after losing 170 pounds. My ex approached me in a department store and said. "Excuse me, but have we met before? I politely replied with a "no we have not." She gave me that goofy perplexed look I had seen for 9 years and walked away. It felt almost as good as the first time she walked away. :)
  • tomnev1
    tomnev1 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You look much younger now than you did on your wedding day.
  • msharrington315
    Options
    Wow. Thanks! My wedding was in 2004... 11 years ago this Friday!
  • msharrington315
    Options
    Divorce is in the top 5 of life stress events, so well done. I love your story. I have had similar experiences... many people who have known me for years walk right past me. I have to get their attention. However, a pretty young woman I use to work with recognized me saying, "I wouldn't forget those gorgeous eyes..." :wink:
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Well done!

I've lost 144lbs but its taken a few years with a year gap for surgery in between, yet strangely, it's only been the last 21lbs loss where I've had the 'holy....!' comment from people!

It just shows that when you put your mind to it, you CAN do it, so for those of you reading these stories who are just setting out, yes, it can be done, just go for it!

3894102.png
  • msharrington315
    Options
    Well done!

I've lost 144lbs but its taken a few years with a year gap for surgery in between, yet strangely, it's only been the last 21lbs loss where I've had the 'holy....!' comment from people!

It just shows that when you put your mind to it, you CAN do it, so for those of you reading these stories who are just setting out, yes, it can be done, just go for it!

3894102.png

Great job too! Yes, we CAN do it!
  • mabinethin
    mabinethin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    freaking amazing!!! Love it
  • msharrington315
    Options
    mabinethin wrote: »
    freaking amazing!!! Love it

Thanks! It still amazes me sometimes.

I had a very touching moment the other day with a family member I hadn't seen in quite a while. She was literally stunned when she saw me. We hugged and for some reason I broke down crying on her shoulder saying, "I made it... I can't believe I made it..."

You can only imagine how much of my emotions were wrapped up in that 400+ pound body I carried around for so many years.

Now it is time to maintain and celebrate. :smile:
  • kellystuart11
    kellystuart11 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Holy #($* is right! Your story gave me goosebumps
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Just WOW!
  • msharrington315
    Options
    Holy #($* is right! Your story gave me goosebumps

I know. It's a pretty heavy story (pun intended). I debated on putting it out there in such detail, but it is the truth and it definitely has an impact.
    Just WOW!

Thanks! What more needs to be said?! :wink:
  • poejegg
    poejegg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite forum I've ever found. I love these threads. CONGRATULATIONS! INSPIRING!!!
  • msharrington315
    edited August 2015
    Options
    poejegg wrote: »
    This is my favourite forum I've ever found. I love these threads. CONGRATULATIONS! INSPIRING!!!

Thanks! These stories are inspiring! I love reading them too as they keep me on track and focused. :smile:

• msharrington315
    Options
    All- Feel free to friend request me if you would like to stay in contact and have any questions.
  • GlassRocks
    GlassRocks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I recently enjoyed my 1st "ah moment" encounter with a friend I had not seen in almost a year after loosing near 60 lbs during that period.

-- I showed up at an event and smiled at my friend, she looked at me and smiled back, then continued her activity. I began talking to several people eventually making my way over to her .... "OH MY GOD! Is that ... you .... I just thought you were some nice smiling guy. I DIDN'T recognize you at all, you LOOK AMAZING!"

I've had several similar experiences since then, all very rewarding.

Yours is an inspiring story indeed - well done.
  • LoreA1960
    LoreA1960 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I just started in December and have over 200 lbs. to lose. So far I've lost 65 lbs.. My problem is that I can't really exercise because of mobility issues. I can't wait to get to my first 100 lb. loss. Hoping to do it by the end of the year. It looks like you didn't have any sagging skin issues. How did you achieve that? Congrats on the awesome weight loss!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I mostly get "OMG you look amazing, how did you do it?" and then glazed-over eyes when I mention this website and/or calorie counting. Everyone wants a miracle pill or magic diet.

Sometimes though I get this weird *angry* look and "I wouldn't have recognized you" or "I almost didn't recognize you at all" like I am trying to play a nasty trick on the person. Disturbing!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!