Opinion on diet drinks

Options
2»

Replies

• joolieb1
    joolieb1 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Used to drink diet soda every day, now drink no added sugar squash. Will allow soda but only when I am out having a meal! Just for a naughty treat, otherwise none
  • gummybears700
    gummybears700 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    no matter what the studies show, the chemicals can't be good for you. all chemicals do is stuff up your body, why do you think processed good are condemned by the health food industry so much? but i guess a diet soda on the occasion is acceptable, everything in moderation, and stick to water :)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    no matter what the studies show, the chemicals can't be good for you. all chemicals do is stuff up your body, why do you think processed good are condemned by the health food industry so much? but i guess a diet soda on the occasion is acceptable, everything in moderation, and stick to water :)

Especially that Dihydrogen Monoxide. That's ther worst. It fills you up but doesn't give you any vitamins, energy, no protein either.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Especially that Dihydrogen Monoxide. That's ther worst. It fills you up but doesn't give you any vitamins, energy, no protein either.
    And just a little in your airways can straight up kill you. Yet we allow corporations to make billions selling it to our children.

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

You do realize that everything is made up of chemicals? Everything. Water, as pointed out above, is chemically known as dihydrogen monoxide; two molecules of hydrogen and one of oxygen. So much for not putting anything into your body that a 5 year old can't pronounce.

And almost everything you eat is "processed". Cut up some carrots? You're processing them. Semantics, I know, but it's the same semantics being used by the "health food industry." Which, by the way, makes its money by convincing ill-informed people that "chemicals" are bad so they'll buy the healthy food industry's products. Whole Foods isn't in business to supply the world with organic foods; they make billions of dollars jacking up their prices and convincing people that organic is better (which has basically been debunked by several organizations) and mis-labeling and mis-marking foods they package. Just do a simple websearch.

Whew! Rant over.
  • z304
    z304 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I can't drink them. I get really bad cramps (&etc, sometimes) from artificial sweeteners.
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that most diet sodas are gross so I don't drink them. Also, I don't believe they cause cancer. Aspartame is not the devil. FYI neither is sugar. /opinion
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I watch way too many documentaries, but in the documentary Fed Up (available on Netflix), they showed how diet coke does the same thing to your brain as cocaine. Aka it makes you extremely addicted and constantly crave it. Not to mention the high amount of sodium in these drinks makes them not the ideal choice for weight loss. I haven't had soda of any kind in my diet for a long time. I do drink a cup of coffee in the morning with honey instead of sugar and have an occasional beer. We all have our vice, the question is what do you want yours to be?
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I love diet pops and usually have one every evening. I know diet drinks do not slow weight loss. However, what are your opinions on the long-term effects that they may have on your body? I keep hearing these horror stories about aspartame causing cancer and I am wondering if you think it is a big myth or if there is some merit to it.

I'm a bit afraid of new forms of chemicals in nutrition. It took 80 years for Crisco's original formulas health risk to be identified and the company buried the knowledge so we kept eating it.

Studying hazards in human nutrition is so incredibly difficult! I'd let others be the guinea pigs for the first twenty to forty years on the market and maybe only use it in small quantities after that.

Even certain substances labeled poisons (cyanide) are safe in very small (minute!) quantities.

I have a major issue with trusting a corporation with a formula and a new chemical to actually look out for my health.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I drink one on occasion

I have not found those studies that link a normal consumption to disease

Kind of like how there are no factual studies linking second hand smoke to cancer

Lots of lawsuits waiting for that proof... But alas.... There is none
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think go with your gut instinct on this. If its too good to be true it probably is. Great flavor without calories and no repercussions? The jury IS still out on this topic because the tests run are being done by the food companies where money is the pull, not your health.

Now for you it comes down to the level of "healthy" you're trying to reach. If you're an obese individual, I think heart disease and diabetes is more concerning for that moment than cancer. If you are fairly fit and looking to add years and youth to your body then yeah cut that out. In this world to be completely chemical free you would have to live in a third world country growing and raising your own food. Our body can naturally detox but were are we on the cancer risk scale? I have no clue! If it makes you happier to drink and be thinner stick with it. If you can find an alternative way like tea you might be better off.