How much cardio do I need to be doing?

rebeccam279
rebeccam279 Posts: 13 Member
edited July 2015 in Getting Started
At the moment I'm doing about 30mins a day is this enough? Is it best to have break days or just power through everyday?

I'm 5'2. Currently 141lbs looking to ultimately lose about 28lbs if that helps.

Replies

• julia_lu
    julia_lu Posts: 90 Member
    Hello there! I'm 5'4", 114 lbs now, lost 8 lbs so far. I'm not sure if I'm doing the proper/best way of losing weight but since I've lost a few pounds, I must be doing something right? I do cardio for an hour (jogging) every other day, and some strength training in between those days. I also hike once a week.

I wish you luck in your goal!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Cardio isn't a necessity. Alternate days should be adequate.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited July 2015
    You don't need to do any cardio to lose weight. Weight loss is created by eating less calories than you burn, period. Exercise is for fitness and for some people cardio is a means to "earn" more calories to eat each day. Do as much or as little cardio as makes you happy. I would strongly suggest at least one rest day each week, though. Your body needs a chance to recover.

I personally run 3-4 days each week and try to get 10,000 steps every day which means I walk a fair bit on the days I don't run. I also lift weights 2 or 3 days that I don't run. It's more than enough.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    I do not do cardio other than 5 minutes for "warming up" at the beginning at my work out.
    I weightlift 4 days a week, with 2 days for Pilates and floor exercises. 1 day for full rest.
  • ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    You don't need to exercise at all if weight loss is your only goal. I run everyday because I've been enjoying seeing how far I can push my body. I also like being fit - and yes, it gives me a nice calorie cushion to work with when I'm planning my meals for the day. :smile:
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    It really depends on goals and context. I personally need at least 5 hours a week of running/cycling or I can't maintain a solid deficit. Many others need no cardio at all.

You'll need to find the right level based on your personal goals and experiences.
  • VanillaGorillaUK
    VanillaGorillaUK Posts: 342 Member
    I do 30mins 4-5 times per week.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    For what exactly? Weight loss? If for weight loss, you don't have to do any to lose weight. If you want to do cardio for fitness then how much is really up to you.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Lifting will be better for weight loss because muscle takes up less space than fat and burns more calories when you aren't exercising. Also when the fat does melt away you will look nice and tone.

Cardio is great though, don't get me wrong. Some people use cardio to let them eat more. I like cardio because I do racquetball and zumba so i am working on agility and eye hand coordination.
  • Alyshe
    Alyshe Posts: 509 Member
    Lifting is the best way to go. Cardio alone may not get you the results your looking for. Muscle burns more fat and takes less space. It really depends on your goals .
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    General question with no background information make answering questions difficult. So it all depends, what type of cardio, are you in pain and define need? Everyone should do some type of Cardio for heart health, how much will be defined by your goals.