Wine: Red vs White?

Options
I just heard the most rediculous thing at work and I feel it necessary to ask the MFP community if it is true for them.

A 25 year old woman I work with swears that the reason she is thin is because she pigs out during the day but dinner for her every single night is 2 or 3 glasses of red wine and crackers. She parks in front of her DVR and drinks/eats crackers. She swears the red wine not only keeps her arteries open but also acts as a dierectic (sp?).

Thoughts???

Replies

• skymel14
    skymel14 Posts: 30
    Options
    Bump
  • kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    wine does indeed act as a directic but really this much will damage your health and your waist is thin not because of loss of true weight its a case of pigging out on wine and not eating, red wine at a glass(a very small 125 mL) a day has indeed been found to be beneficial for cholesterol but its unlikley at rival a decent diet and weight loss family factors and other health factors at reducing arteries being clogged. At this level you describe I am afraid alcohol induced diseases are a real risk, 1 average glass is two units, two units times 3 glasses is 6 daily units, 6 times seven days is 48 units in a week the average women is suggested to drink no more than 14 units per week and have two to three alcohol free days a week. https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/. Thin or not her health is at risk (its not a definite but probability is a buggar at turning out right.)
  • ddslowly
    ddslowly Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    that will most likely stop working for her very soon. i was at my thinnest when i was surviving on booze, bread and cheese, and some fruit from time to time. once i hit 28 or so, i had to change up my diet or accept the weight gain.
  • jamiek917
    jamiek917 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Have I met this idiot?

A glass or two of red wine (or white, minus the antioxidants) isn't bad for u- but it's obviously not a healthy/beneficial diet to live by. She's thin bc of genetics or a combo of other things. 3 glasses of wine a day if likely destroying her liver in the process.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    People say all sorts of BS. For all we know she could be bulimic. But people usually won't announce that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • LB2812
    LB2812 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculus :huh:

I guess she could argue that 2-3 glasses & crackers is 4-600 calories and that's what many people eat for dinner... but it's just pure sugar/carbs. She may stay thin (at least for now) but long-term, she can still have major health issues.

I drink a lot of wine too.... it's definately not helping me lose weight :grumble: i'm my thinnest and lose weight quickest when i cut it down/out.