BMI 28. I need to lose one quarter of my body weight. 76kg >57kg.....19kg of fat to shed!

I've always been slim and fit and healthy. Then last year I needed surgery, I was laid up for a while and the weight crept up. It doesn't help that I have a sweet tooth and have been snacking on chocs when I'm in pain.
So I found the website and started the diet today. I have exceeded the calorie target a bit. Even so, I am going to bed hungry. I'm going to need low calorie fillers, so I might go vegetarian, might have meal substitute shakes. I'm going shopping for groceries tomorrow.
Wish me luck and will power and I will keep you posted.

Replies

• Cocoa1020
    Cocoa1020 Posts: 197 Member
    Urg i know the feeling. i had 3 surgeries within 2 years. The first one was brutal and i was in so much pain that i actually lost some weight because it hurt to eat. but about a month later i broke my ankle. 8 weeks of no walking really did it. but now we are all here :)

It's just my opinion but if you go vegetarian you might be more hungry because of the lack of protein.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Just my personal experience, but shakes never keep me full. I have a smoothie for breakfast every once in a while, but I have noticed that even if it is all veggie with 25 grams of whey protein added and full fat yogurt...it does not keep me full as long as a couple of eggs.

This was also my experience years ago when I tried slim fast. I thought it tasted very good, but it never kept me full. So if feeling hungry is an issue for you on day one, I would do a bit more research into which shakes are said to be very filling. Or even better...but a small quantity instead of a huge container so that if you find it doesn't work you won't be stuck with a lot. I'm not saying don't try the shakes...I'm just saying it may not help with the hunger issue.

You don't NEED to go vegetarian either. Certainly nothing wrong with it if you do, but make sure you get your protein needs met. Again, that will help with hunger.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If you have exceeded your calorie goal and still are hungry, you may be doing it wrong. What calorie target are you set to? What are you eating? (Opening your food diary may provide us with clues.)

You don't need to go vegatarian or have shakes or fillers to lose weight. Or even luck. All you need is a calorie deficit, not too big, but consistent. Willpower? I don't like that word, I like to think of focus, determination and patience, and willingness to create new, sustainable habits.

Pain is dreadful and I can understand the need for comfort. I hope you feel better now.
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    congrats on deciding to start...
    dont just eat what you used to eat.. look at new healthier options.. veggies fill me up quick, and with a bit of homemade cheese or cool dressings they rock. Shakes suck!! they are delicious.. and 30 minutes later you are ready for another one... solids are what you are after.
    Also fats are soooo satisfying and in my case Carbs just get you ready for some more carbs...like real soon...like now soon...
    There is so much variety... look into new stuff and a whole world will open up.. also lowering your sugars and carbs will dramatically lower your sweet tooth and reinforce your willpower... ask me how I know...
    Good luck and stck with it...