Running over 200 pounds

Options
2»

Replies

• SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I started running with C25K at 213 lbs. You can do it. Just go slow. It doesn't matter if you are jogging slower than you can walk. Repeat weeks if you don't feel ready to move up to the next level.

You can do this. You just need to believe in yourself and keep trying.
  • deniselucas73
    deniselucas73 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    start with walking or swimming, try walking in the swimming pool with just your heard above water... find a few songs you like and just make up moves and do them for about 10 mins- 20 mins a day it gets everything moving..
  • nrhochman
    nrhochman Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 and 2 months ago I hit an all time high of 248 lbs. I'd had enough. I started walking every night or every other night and at first I could barely do 1/2 mile without dying. I was walking at 23 min per mile speed. Well, this morning I was 229 lbs and I am now doing 3-4 miles at 17:45 mins per mile. They keys to this were consistency, good music and really logging all my food. I truly feel the music helped increase my speed without realizing it as previously I was listening to books on tape. Now I am going to work on increasing the speed a bit more as the 3-4 miles doesn't bother me much.
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Imperfect_Angel Posts: 220 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Hi. I'm 217lbs, 5"7.5 and I run 4.25 miles 5 days a week with a slow pace of 12.5min/mile. I didn't start out like this though, my first day out running I walked half the distance and took so many breaks in between. I was exhausted but completed everything in a 13-14 min/mile pace. I felt so discouraged but did not give up. I've only been running now for a week or so and I'm not taking nearly as many breaks as I did before....just one 5 minute one when I get to my halfway point.

I agree with everyone on here, take it really slow until you feel comfortable then add short bursts of runs, even 30 second ones and increase as you go. I've never done the C25K but I've heard great things. Push yourself though and don't get jealous. One day you'll get there, just be consistent and manage your food intake :)
  • Imperfect_Angel
    Imperfect_Angel Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Oh....just to add on, walking is such good exercise. Before I started to run, I was walking - a lot! Started off at about 18 minutes per mile and before I knew it, was at 15 minutes per mile then decided to try running. I walked yesterday and was slightly under 15 minutes so you can do it. Don't give up and good luck xx
  • a4howard
    a4howard Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Today was my 1st time using that app and it was hard so I modified it. It has 8 minutes of running so I ran 1cminute, speed walked the 2nd as so on til I completed the 30 minutes. Change is difficult but achievable.
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    a4howard wrote: »
    Today was my 1st time using that app and it was hard so I modified it. It has 8 minutes of running so I ran 1cminute, speed walked the 2nd as so on til I completed the 30 minutes. Change is difficult but achievable.

Folks, this is what we call kick butt, don't give up attitude.

We'll done, Miss Howard. :smile:
  • schellies
    schellies Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do as much as you're comfortable with!
  • honlonc
    honlonc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I suggest walking. Jogging or running are going to be destructive on your knees at that weight. And, I don't know your personal goals, but have you considered weight lifting? I know there's a phobia, but it's not going to make you look monstrously muscular. It will however do absolute wonders for changing the composition of your body along with a healthier eating lifestyle. Be consistent and you'll see the rewards.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    You can run at any weight. Just make sure that you stretch and build up slowly. I weigh exactly the same as you. We aren't going to run marathons at this weight but we can jog slowly or even walk fast. I sweat alot and I may not be able to keep up with my Mom who is 147 pounds but I still can do my best.
  • Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" started doing the C25K at about 275. Under 250 now and finished week 7 tonight. Do I run slow? Yes. Am I running? Yes.. If it is too much for you then slow it down and make sure you don't hurt yourself. If you totally hate it, find something else with a little less impact for now.

I had a doctors visit last week, my first time with new doctor after starting this and being down 35 lbs. She wasn't too excited about me running at my weight. In the end, I feel good, no knee pain at all, and I make sure to stretch after runs. One thing she did say if I was going to do it was to make sure I had good supportive shoes.
  • Edjeep
    Edjeep Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    nrhochman wrote: »
    I'm 5'11 and 2 months ago I hit an all time high of 248 lbs. I'd had enough. I started walking every night or every other night and at first I could barely do 1/2 mile without dying. I was walking at 23 min per mile speed. Well, this morning I was 229 lbs and I am now doing 3-4 miles at 17:45 mins per mile. They keys to this were consistency, good music and really logging all my food. I truly feel the music helped increase my speed without realizing it as previously I was listening to books on tape. Now I am going to work on increasing the speed a bit more as the 3-4 miles doesn't bother me much.
    Good word. I need to try some music instead of just podcasts.
  • nicola8989
    nicola8989 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200lbs and I am doing a walk/run programme similar to C25K with a local beginner's running group. It's great and there are people heavier than me doing better than me.

Make sure you have the right shoes and just take really short strides, so that you're barely faster than a walking pace. You'll get the speed once you've built up. The breathing gets easier, mine still isn't great but it's much better than it was.

The programme I'm doing, you run until you need to walk, then you run again when you're ready. I know it feels like you're going to die, but you won't! Feel free to add me if you'd like some support x
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Start easy and stop if it hurts

Intervals of walking fast and jogging works

It is great you are trying and going at it

Well done!