upper arm jiggle

Options
TamLam99
TamLam99 Posts: 247 Member
I know weight loss will get rid of some of the flab and jiggle on your body. I exercise at home and have a good routine alternating between my bike, the punching bag, walking, squats, etc. For my arms I've been doing reps using 5 & 10 lb free weights and doing stair push-ups (until I get strong enough to do a normal one). Any other recommendations for an at home workout that will tighten up the arm jiggle ? What are the most effective exercises for toning arms ?

Replies

• jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    The first sentence of your post answered your question.

The only thing that is going to "tone" your arms is continuing to lose body fat until there isn't enough fat left to "jiggle". You should absolutely keep exercising to maintain the muscle you have, but there aren't any exercises that will cause the fat that is jiggling to come off any faster than a calorie deficit.
  • TamLam99
    Options
    jeffpettis wrote: »

The only thing that is going to "tone" your arms is continuing to lose body fat until there isn't enough fat left to "jiggle". You should absolutely keep exercising to maintain the muscle you have, but there aren't any exercises that will cause the fat that is jiggling to come off any faster than a calorie deficit.

so no magic pills, potions, or miracle exercises ??? darn

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can work your arms all you want but if you still have fat over the muscle, it will jiggle. Just keep losing body fat and keep going with your push ups! I've found that my arms have taken much longer than my legs to show definition, it's just the way I carry my weight. Even though I'm strong enough to do pull ups, heavy weights, clap push ups etc - my arms still jiggle because of the fat over the muscle.
  • TamLam99
    Options
    Unfortunately you can work your arms all you want but if you still have fat over the muscle, it will jiggle. Just keep losing body fat and keep going with your push ups! I've found that my arms have taken much longer than my legs to show definition, it's just the way I carry my weight. Even though I'm strong enough to do pull ups, heavy weights, clap push ups etc - my arms still jiggle because of the fat over the muscle.

I have a feeling I'll be the same way, my legs already look much more defined. Arms, well that's another story.

• JudithNYC
    JudithNYC Posts: 80 Member
    Options

The only thing that is going to "tone" your arms is continuing to lose body fat until there isn't enough fat left to "jiggle".

Tell that to my arms. Have you ever heard of loose skin?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yes to losing fat

But can you get heavier weights? Increase the resistance ...maybe barbells for compound exercises or even kettle bells ...10lbs won't really keep you satisfied for long
  • TamLam99
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Yes to losing fat

But can you get heavier weights? Increase the resistance ...maybe barbells for compound exercises or even kettle bells ...10lbs won't really keep you satisfied for long

Yes, I plan on heavier weights as I get stronger. I also have resistance bands but not sure how useful those are. With 40 plus pounds left to lose I probably won't see much definition through all the fat.

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    TamLam99 wrote: »

I have a feeling I'll be the same way, my legs already look much more defined. Arms, well that's another story.

Yep, it's just life! My arms have always been bigger even when I was thinner. I do have definition when I flex, but there's still jiggle. So it's definitely worth pushing forward - heavier weights are a great idea, I found they made a difference.
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    JudithNYC wrote: »

The only thing that is going to "tone" your arms is continuing to lose body fat until there isn't enough fat left to "jiggle".

Tell that to my arms. Have you ever heard of loose skin?

Sorry but there aren't any exercises to target loose skin either. The only thing that will tighten the skin is time and staying hydrated. Fat can be lost quicker than the skin can tighten so everyone that has ever lost a substantial amount of weight has had the same problem. The good thing is that skin is very resilient and will eventually tighten it just takes patience.

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Heavier weights, my handbag weighs more than 10 lbs some days.....And lose fat....
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    in addition to losing weight like everyone said. focus on tricep exercises. i'm fat, and old, have have loose skin, But I have pumped triceps and nothing jiggles. Do close grip pushups, and every other tricep exercise you can, and make them hurt. and of course you'll have to do regular full body workouts as well.
  • TamLam99
    Options
    astrampe wrote: »
    Heavier weights, my handbag weighs more than 10 lbs some days.....And lose fat....

HAHA - that handbag comment gave me a chuckle.