When did you hit your first plateau?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    My 'plateaus' happened every month from the time I started ovulating to the end of my period... so 2/3 weeks at a time, every single month.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @dakotababy When you say you drastically increased your calorie intake, are you saying you ate at maintenance? Above maintenance? How far above?
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    eshnna wrote: »

not sure I understand your response. Adipose is a correct biological term is it not?

:| I am confused too.

I hit my first one at 40 days. Lasted almost three weeks. I kept logging and exercising. Then all of a sudden my body got the memo and I lost 2 lbs in a week by doing exactly the same thing I was doing when I was losing .5lbs a week.

ditto
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I was in about a 1000-1200 calorie deficit each day. TDEE was about 2400-2500 calories a day (some days were even higher) when I started using my tracker. I was eating around 1200-1500 calories a day. (which was not enough) I went and started eating about 2000-2100 calories a day and then the weight started coming off again.

I have lost a lot of weight since this happened, so I am eating less calories a day (closer to 1800 as I am about 70lbs lighter since this occurred, my job is not as physically demanding as well) but I continue to keep about a 250-400 calorie deficit off of my TDEE regardless.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No plateau in 14 months, -100 pounds. I do not depart from my eating plan and I rarely miss a workout or steps goal. Consistency and discipline are key for me. Good luck! F60 y/o.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I did not lose a pound for the first six weeks but I did lose an inch in the waist and some in the face/neck/butt before I lost my first pound. I did not know it was possible to lose fat and not lose weight but now I know you can lose fat without losing pounds.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I had a 2 month wait after I had lost about 55 or so pounds before I got under 200. Even with meticulous logging. It was worth it to push through!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    dakotababy wrote: »
    I was in about a 1000-1200 calorie deficit each day. TDEE was about 2400-2500 calories a day (some days were even higher) when I started using my tracker. I was eating around 1200-1500 calories a day. (which was not enough) I went and started eating about 2000-2100 calories a day and then the weight started coming off again.

I have lost a lot of weight since this happened, so I am eating less calories a day (closer to 1800 as I am about 70lbs lighter since this occurred, my job is not as physically demanding as well) but I continue to keep about a 250-400 calorie deficit off of my TDEE regardless.

That is similar to my first plateau (actually I was gaining). I cut calories hoping to lose faster, but started gaining instead. I increased to a smaller deficit after I read that eating below RMR could cause gain. As soon as I returned to a smaller deficit, I started losing again.

Future plateaus were under different circumstances, though.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Never

Sure I stalled frequently for 2-3 weeks because that's how weight loss works

But constantly downward trend ...easily seen by a trend tracker site like trendweight.com and the application of patience
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I didn't hit a plateau.

I lost 15 kg in 16 weeks ... and hit my goal.

Then I took a holiday break and maintained for a few weeks. Deliberately stopped logging and tracking etc. while I travelled.

And now I'm down another 1 kg.

6 months into this ... still no plateau.

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The only time I've ever hit a "plateau" was when I got sloppy with my logging and was actually eating at maintenance.

In other words, I've never hit a plateau that wasn't self-inflicted.
  • kvansteen
    kvansteen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    If you are a woman you might seemingly plateau before your time of the month due to excess blood volume. This goes along with why you shouldn't weigh yourself daily, even weekly. Use measurements along with the scale to see your body changing and you won't be surprised by little "hiccups" along the way.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    Isn't a plateau defined as something which lasts 6 weeks or more?

Remaining the same weight for a few days or even a week or two isn't a plateau ... it's just part of normal weight fluctuations.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    kvansteen wrote: »
    If you are a woman you might seemingly plateau before your time of the month due to excess blood volume. This goes along with why you shouldn't weigh yourself daily, even weekly. Use measurements along with the scale to see your body changing and you won't be surprised by little "hiccups" along the way.

And around ovulation...water retention not blood volume

I find it makes more sense to weigh daily so you understand your fluctuations...linking to a weight trend line app like libra or happy scale or a site like trendweight.com gives you a trend line over time which smooths data and extrapolation lines
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I camped for a while once I lost about 30 # - then I added weight training and tightened up tracking and ended up slowly loosing another 12 or so. I would like to lose about 5 more - I am figuring it will take me until the end of the year just because I am now within healthy weight range (upper third - I could lose #18 and still be in range) and my actual deficit is probably only 150 calories a day. I aim for 250 but don't make it every day.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Isn't a plateau defined as something which lasts 6 weeks or more?

Remaining the same weight for a few days or even a week or two isn't a plateau ... it's just part of normal weight fluctuations.

I'm not sure about how long it takes to "officially" call it a plateau. However, I experience fluctuations within a plateau. For example, my second plateau was 6 months. I fluctuated up and down around the same number for that whole time. But I was not losing. I have no idea what caused the whoosh that time, but you know it because rather than small fluctuations of a few lbs., weight drops a few lbs. every day for several days... so then after a few days of consistent drops and no increases, then I went back to hovering up and down around the same weight (another plateau).