Help with food!

Options
hharvey9
hharvey9 Posts: 36 Member
Ok so I am trying to get my diet figured out. Yes I still eat junk. I started just trying to follow the calories and not worrying about macros. But I know that area needs work - like a lot of work!

I'm trying to lose about 40 lbs to meet our departments weight requirement for my age/height to get into the police academy. That being said, I need to build up muscle too so that I can survive the academy!

I'm doing cardio 3-5 days a week (turbofire, c25k) and strength training (mostly body weight - push ups/crunches/squats/dips with some weights thrown in) I don't really know what I'm doing with the weights so learning as I go.

My issue is, how to get my protein intake up to where I've read it should be (somewhere around 120g) while still staying under calories to maintain a deficit. I also am trying to limit carbs (I have pcos and was reccommended to limit them).

Suggestions so I'm not eating like 5 chicken breasts a day lol!

Replies

• daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Eggs and peanut butter are both packed with protien. If you get the Healthy Life bread for 35 calories a slice then the PB wouldn't be so high in calories or dip sliced up apples in it.
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    I love to drink Muscle FX Hydrobolic FX. I love the taste (I mix it with Silk Light) and from what I've researched its the highest protein, lowest fat, lowest calories, lowest carbs, etc. Take a look, it really helps me to get up and over my limits for protein

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/musclefx/hydrobolic-fx.html
  • Sushifish87
    Options
    this might help too. its a list of protein options with their totals ^.^

http://rediscoveringmyfigure.tumblr.com/post/52303492636
  • hharvey9
    Options
    I keep eggs and pb as a pretty regular part of my diet already. Problem with protein shakes and powders is the cost. We right now are living on like $150 for two weeks food for 4 people... keeps it tight and hard to eat healthy much less add in powders that are crazy high! Its so frustrating to want to make changes and not be able to because of money :/
  • hharvey9
    Options
    Thanks!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Have you considered protein powder? It's a quick and easy way to add protein.
  • storknursekelly
    storknursekelly Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    beans & brown rice are a complete protein. Don't worry about the carbs so much because they are complex carbs. Keep away from the simple carbs (anything white) Both are inexpensive & easy to cook too :) Stay away from any processed foods or foods in a box that's what keeps the water weight on & most are full of additives that make you have cravings. Much success !!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Breakfast - eggs or smoked fish, or Greek yoghurt. Egg whites have the most protein for least calories.
    Lunch - chicken or fish salad
    Dinner - lean steak or lamb, loads of veggies
    Snacks - cheese, nuts, yoghurt, roast beans or wasabi peas.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Staying full longer ..... with protein, fats and fiber... all help you stay full. Eat real food, whole food, and you should stay full.

Whole grain has protein & fiber that "white" processed grains do not. Read labels.

Healthy fats .... avocado, olive oil, nuts and nut butters

Veggies & (whole) fruits have lots of fiber. Frozen is usually cheaper.

If you eat oatmeal .... try making it with milk instead of water to increase the protein. Greek yogurt has twice the protein of regular yogurt .... look for a store brand if cost is an issue. Lots of little things you can do to bump up the nutrition.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Tuna! Tuna has a lot of protein packed into a few cals. Mix in some Greek yogurt instead of mayo, and put it on some cucumbers! Mini sandwiches, so yummy.
  • Sagitta13
    Sagitta13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese can be a good source of protein.