Sleeping problems

Has anyone been diagnose with sleep apnea or having sleep issues?

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    No to the first, but I had a decade of my life racked with insomnia. What's the issue?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited July 2015
    kkenseth wrote: »
    No to the first, but I had a decade of my life racked with insomnia. What's the issue?

ENT think my big o tonsils are having adverse effects on the quality of my sleep. Having surgery in three weeks to get them out.

Also this doctor things that it will cure my snoring habits. I can't even cuddle with a woman while sleeping because they will complain that when I fall asleep I snore so loud. I find that this issue I am willing to stay positive that it will at least decrease how loud I snore.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    I had insomnia for many years. When I started exercising and about 20 lbs came off, I started sleeping better.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Yes, I have sleep apnea. It has improved greatly since losing weight.

Do you have specific questions?
  • yopeeps025
    jemhh wrote: »

Do you snore?
    Do you have your tonsils still intact?
    DO you have any nasal issues?

The big one do you ever like stop breathing at night and kind of snort to breath again?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Do you snore?

The big one do you ever like stop breathing at night and kind of snort to breath again?

I used to snore horribly. I've always snored a tiny bit but when I gained weight it got really bad. I do have my tonsils. I had a lot of sinus infections (pretty much every 8 weeks or so I would have a new one.)

And yes, I would stop breathing at night. Two summers ago I had several different nights when I woke up gasping for breath, feeling like I was going to pass out. I had a sleep study done and my AHI was 87, which means that I stopped breathing or breathed shallowly an average of 87 times per hour. Severe sleep apnea is diagnosed with an AHI of 30+ so that was...not good. Lol. Anyway, I got a CPAP after that and it helped immensely. I was completely exhausted before I got it so it took about 6 weeks or so to really feel like I was caught up on sleep but the difference the first morning after I got it vs the day before was crazy.

Are you really tired a lot?
  • kk_inprogress

ENT think my big o tonsils are having adverse effects on the quality of my sleep. Having surgery in three weeks to get them out.

Also this doctor things that it will cure my snoring habits. I can't even cuddle with a woman while sleeping because they will complain that when I fall asleep I snore so loud. I find that this issue I am willing to stay positive that it will at least decrease how loud I snore.

The tonsillectomy should help...they can certainly get in the way. In the meantime, it's hard to help because when you have a structural anomaly, surgery is the best course.
  • yopeeps025
    edited July 2015

Do you snore?

I used to snore horribly. I've always snored a tiny bit but when I gained weight it got really bad. I do have my tonsils. I had a lot of sinus infections (pretty much every 8 weeks or so I would have a new one.)

And yes, I would stop breathing at night. Two summers ago I had several different nights when I woke up gasping for breath, feeling like I was going to pass out. I had a sleep study done and my AHI was 87, which means that I stopped breathing or breathed shallowly an average of 87 times per hour. Severe sleep apnea is diagnosed with an AHI of 30+ so that was...not good. Lol. Anyway, I got a CPAP after that and it helped immensely. I was completely exhausted before I got it so it took about 6 weeks or so to really feel like I was caught up on sleep but the difference the first morning after I got it vs the day before was crazy.

Are you really tired a lot?

I tried the CPAP but I used to toss and turn a lot as a kid and teenager. I was always afraid that the tube would wrap around my neck at night.

That is the thing I am not tired. Some days yes. It was worse when I was heavy drinking and overeating to gain weight up to 265 on my 5"6.5' height. I don't drink coffee or anything with caffeine but some days I have to mentally wake myself up to have energy. People talk about the 230 pm feeling. I have the opposite feeling at 230 pm and I go to work at 730 am. I in a sense am fully awake at 230.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    Since I lost a considerable amount of weight...i no longer snore or wake up at night. Also for about a month I workout early in the morning and have so much more energy during the day. I fall asleep early now whereas before when I worked out at night I would have a hard time falling asleep. Many of my friends have had that surgery. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. One person in particular that had it done had the surgery done with a laser. He said it has really helped him breathe now on the one side of his nose that he could not. Lots of luck.
  • Keith3481
    Keith3481 Posts: 91 Member
    I had a sleep problem that ended up being due to serotonin imbalance (too low). I sleep really well now that I'm on citalopram.
  • yopeeps025
    Keith3481 wrote: »
    I had a sleep problem that ended up being due to serotonin imbalance (too low). I sleep really well now that I'm on citalopram.

How they find that out? Sleep studies?
  • yopeeps025
    My tonsils are so big I really don't have that much space to actually breath. I actually think they have got bigger to since I don't remember them taking up that much space.
  • kk_inprogress
    My tonsils are so big I really don't have that much space to actually breath. I actually think they have got bigger to since I don't remember them taking up that much space.

Such a useless piece of anatomy.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    I have sleep apnea. my doctor just put in a referral to have me re tested since I have lost so much weight.
  • yopeeps025
    hwhb17_073_pi.jpg

This is normal tonsils I guess. I can barely see my the thing that dangles in the center. My tonsils come all the way over to dangle thing in center. There is a small line opening i see that I guess is all the breathing taking place. A very small vertical opening.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,782 Member
    I was a "mouth breather" for years, much to the dismay of my sleeping partners. I always thought it was "sinuses" and congestion. I did a sleep study that revealed that I "woke" about every 46secs (no wonder I was always sluggish!). X-rays revealed a very crooked septum that blocked my air passages. I underwent a septoplasty to realign my deviated septum. I sleep much easier, deeply and quietly now.
  • yopeeps025
    I actually snore sometimes when I am awake. Then I do the shallow or stop breathing and almost snort to resume breathing.

I also notice I have to eat less then the calculators to lose weight which can be tied to lack of good sleep. ENT says that can lower my BMR which lowers TDEE. It all makes sense now and something has to change if it can help.
  • yopeeps025
    I was a "mouth breather" for years, much to the dismay of my sleeping partners. I always thought it was "sinuses" and congestion. I did a sleep study that revealed that I "woke" about every 46secs (no wonder I was always sluggish!). X-rays revealed a very crooked septum that blocked my air passages. I underwent a septoplasty to realign my deviated septum. I sleep much easier, deeply and quietly now.

MY ENT said I have a deviated septum that I have worked my way around to breath. I told him this has been a way I had to deal with breathing my whole life.
  • kk_inprogress
    hwhb17_073_pi.jpg

This is normal tonsils I guess. I can barely see my the thing that dangles in the center. My tonsils come all the way over to dangle thing in center. There is a small line opening i see that I guess is all the breathing taking place. A very small vertical opening.

Bahahahah. Your uvula? That's the dangly thing :D I'm a speech therapist and see lots of fun things but tonsils like that are certainly a problem when it comes to breathing and sleeping.
  • yopeeps025
    hwhb17_073_pi.jpg

Bahahahah. Your uvula? That's the dangly thing :D I'm a speech therapist and see lots of fun things but tonsils like that are certainly a problem when it comes to breathing and sleeping.

Oh uvula well my tonsils are my big enough that uvula blocks what more airflow I could have.