HIIT Running

Options
Thinking about integrating intervals. How do you manage your intervals in running? Can't see myself looking at my watch all the time.

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    You can either go off your watch... count in your head, or get an app for it; here ya go
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    What type of watch do you have? My Garmin Forerunner 220 has a built in intervals program. You set it up and it beeps to alert you when to start and stop your intervals. You can do it based on distance or time. Also, I usually hate to run on the treadmill, but I do find it useful for intervals.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    My Garmin (FR220) allows me to create workouts which will beep when I go above or below the desired pace by whatever margin.

That said, I don't do true HIIT while running; my intervals are much slower. If you really want to sprint all out, you should be in decent running shape already or you risk injury. (Running fast is in general riskier than running more slowly, but the speed/form needed for HIIT-intensity running is very very demanding.)
  • jdimsdle
    jdimsdle Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hmmm IsaackGMOON an app is a real possibility...
  • jdimsdle
    Options
    lporter229 I do not have a watch so maybe thay is worth the investment. Yeah, I was hoping to avoid the treadmill. I usually only use that in winter
  • jdimsdle
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My Garmin (FR220) allows me to create workouts which will beep when I go above or below the desired pace by whatever margin.

That said, I don't do true HIIT while running; my intervals are much slower. If you really want to sprint all out, you should be in decent running shape already or you risk injury. (Running fast is in general riskier than running more slowly, but the speed/form needed for HIIT-intensity running is very very demanding.)

I am not sure if I'm in decent shape, but I'm worried I've pretty much adapted to my current run. Not sure I have the time to add distance so I thought intervals might help to mix things up and add challenge.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You can either go off your watch... count in your head, or get an app for it; here ya go

Thanks for the link, that's super helpful! I think I'm going to buy one of those apps. :smile:
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    jdimsdle wrote: »

I am not sure if I'm in decent shape, but I'm worried I've pretty much adapted to my current run. Not sure I have the time to add distance so I thought intervals might help to mix things up and add challenge.

Intervals are great! They're a fantastic way to increase your speed and alter your workout. But "intervals" just mean periods of faster running. Actual HIIT is a full-blown, ALL-OUT NOTHING ON THE TABLE effort for very short periods of time.

You might try longer intervals--one or two laps around a track, for example, at a pace that feels fast but doable over that distance.
  • jdimsdle
    Options

Intervals are great! They're a fantastic way to increase your speed and alter your workout. But "intervals" just mean periods of faster running. Actual HIIT is a full-blown, ALL-OUT NOTHING ON THE TABLE effort for very short periods of time.

You might try longer intervals--one or two laps around a track, for example, at a pace that feels fast but doable over that distance.

Oh thanks for the info re: intervals vs. HIIT
    I think what you are describing might work for me. However I never run on a track...it makes me dizzy ha!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options

How much distance (or time) are you running each week?

Introducing speed work into your running is good thing to do once you've built a solid base. There are a bunch of different approaches. If you are still building a good base of activity, one approach you might find fits with what you are doing now is doing fartlek runs. You'll run your ordinary training pace for the bulk of the run but will use some marker along the way (like a street lamp or corner or bend in the trail etc) as cue to pick up your pace and hold that elevated pace for a period of time (pick another tree, bend in the trail, etc) and then coast back down to your training pace, allow yourself some time to recover, then repeat. I really enjoy fartlek runs as I'm not a big fan of doing interval work at a track, although I do it from time to time.

Don't do speed work on every run!

• jdimsdle
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

How much distance (or time) are you running each week?

Introducing speed work into your running is good thing to do once you've built a solid base. There are a bunch of different approaches. If you are still building a good base of activity, one approach you might find fits with what you are doing now is doing fartlek runs. You'll run your ordinary training pace for the bulk of the run but will use some marker along the way (like a street lamp or corner or bend in the trail etc) as cue to pick up your pace and hold that elevated pace for a period of time (pick another tree, bend in the trail, etc) and then coast back down to your training pace, allow yourself some time to recover, then repeat. I really enjoy fartlek runs as I'm not a big fan of doing interval work at a track, although I do it from time to time.

Don't do speed work on every run!

I run about 3 miles every other day and have run the same route for about 2 years now. Admittedly I am more of a tortoise than a hare. Running is kind of zen for me like others might use meditation. That's why I am so reluctant to look at a watch. Sometimes running is the only time I get to be alone and without distractions. But I think the fartlek runs might work for me as I could see using landmarks. I'll look that up. Thanks
  • jdimsdle
    Options
    Hey it turns out Fartlek is a real thing it is Swedish for "speed play".