Would you eat food ONLY for its nutritional value?

Options

Replies

• lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    i thought i was the only one who didn't understand the quest bar hype. I have definitely finished food even if i didnt like it for it's nutritional value, but would not buy again.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything that I find revolting, but I do sneak a couple of things that I am indifferent to, into food where I won't notice it (chia seeds for example and some blended veggies added here or there).

I tried living within calories off pizza and condensed milk and it was not serving me health-wise, so I make a few compromises so that I feel better and my stomach acts up less often.

I could probably just live off cheese if my taste-buds were the only thing dictating my choices.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Do you eat foods that you don't like because it's good for you? Is that sustainable?

I don't, and it wouldn't be for me, I don't think, but that's because there are so many foods I do like that fit my nutrition goals and needs. Quest bars is something that I think you could easily find a replacement for that worked as well, for example.

IF I were someone who really didn't like vegetables or wasn't meeting some goal like protein I'd probably work really hard to learn to like the foods or find alternatives, though, but happily for me that's never been an issue.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't think of Quest bars as healthy food, more like a snack bar with extra protein. Even the guys who make them say that "real food" is better.

I don't eat things I don't like, but I do find ways to include things that I don't love. Carrots are a good example of a food I don't love, but eat on a fairly regular basis. Dark, leafy greens are something I have to prepare in different ways because just eating them raw...I can't. They're too bitter.

But if it's something I hate, like broccoli, I just eliminate it.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I bought the bars to help me hit my protein macro and that as filling snack they are practical for my lifestyle.

It seems the consensus is to keep looking. :smile:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I don't eat foods I don't like at all. But I will eat veggies because they fill me up, and I can't really say that I love veggies...
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Do you eat foods that you don't like because it's good for you? Is that sustainable?

Yes, I do, all the time. And yeah, it's completely sustainable. HOWEVER, motivation makes a huge difference. If you don't have to, I don't think most people would do it.

I do it because I don't have any other choice. I have a lot of allergies, which eliminates a lot of food choices for me. And as my allergens are ALSO typically making up inactive ingredients in vitamin supplements, I've either got to find foods to give me what i need, or get sick.

It's not fun. Frankly, it makes it so that eating is not enjoyable any more, and it's simply another chore to do, most of the time, like vacuuming. But like most things, you would be amazed at what you can do when you suddenly have no other choice, you know?

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

If there is a choice then I would choose the food I like. I happen to like plenty of nutritious foods that I can eat.
    One snack or meal is part of my whole day though so I look at the whole day's nutrition. If I am lacking something and carrots or a snack bar that I have fits my calories and is a way to fill in that gap- even though they wouldn't be my first choice food- then I would eat them.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    No...I don't think I eat a single thing I don't enjoy. And I enjoy Quest bars a little too much.

• accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    There are too many options out there to eat something that's not satisfying.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    I eat food because I like it. I won't eat food if it taste like crap... regardless of how nutriental it is.

BTW, put the quest bars in the microwave for 10-15 seconds... and then thank me.

no you gotta bake them, even better!
  • d08t
    d08t Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Raw Kale. It's so 'efing nasty. Tried to force myself and couldn't do it, so no. There's so much good great tasting, healthy food, why would you force yourself to eat something.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I eat beets (in salads) for their nutritional value. I hate them, but I appreciate them.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I will be going for rides all weekend and today

Skratch electrolyte drink tastes salty. Meh but is great on hot days

I will eat some GU packs. Kind of sticky sweet dextrose

Quest bars for sure.

80% function, 20% taste
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I only eat food I love and that includes quest bars :smiley:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oh course I would. If I were stranded because of a national or global disaster.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I eat food because I like it. I won't eat food if it taste like crap... regardless of how nutriental it is.

BTW, put the quest bars in the microwave for 10-15 seconds... and then thank me.

Or you throw it on the dashboard of your car if there isn't a microwave available. Works wonders :)
  • lemurcat12
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I will eat some GU packs. Kind of sticky sweet dextrose

GU is one of the few things that I might eat that I think tastes not very good. I'm doing a triathlon tomorrow (olympic distance) and used to use GU on the bike portion and haven't had time to figure out a good alternative. So I'll probably use it if I feel like I need it.

I'm going to play around with a better alternative for the next one, though, I think.

For longer bike rides (not in a race format) I normally eat more solid foods, like a Quest bar (which I like pretty well) or Clif bar or just nuts and dried fruit.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Or you throw it on the dashboard of your car if there isn't a microwave available. Works wonders :)

I've never tried the microwave thing, but I went for a bike ride last Saturday when it was super hot here and parked in the sun. When I got back to my car I went to eat the Quest bar I'd left in there while riding and found it was super soft. Decided to eat it anyway and it really did taste just like raw cookie dough, in a good way (it was the cookie dough flavor).
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Only spinach. I try to get some in every day, for whatever reason. Either hide it in a smoothie or add some to the salad greens.