Sugary Drinks CAN cause Diabetes ?!?

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Standard size cola in the UK would be a can which is 330ml, which has 35g of sugar and 139cal.
    I think what is being pushed is that sugar in execess has links towards diabetes even for those who are not obese.

Just because you are not overweight does not prevent you from being unhealthy.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have no comment regarding the numbers tossed around, but too much of anything can cause problems. Too much sugar, too much salt, too much red meat, and etc. The difficulty is in determining how much is too much.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    The amount of soda I drank was a direct correlation to type 2 diabetes. 2 Liters of soda a day along with other excessive sugar binges... I quit soda began working out and now its gone and my doctor says im healthy and my dentist sees an improvement in my teeth as well
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    Link? If someone drinks 3 regular sodas a day, that is like 900 calories of soda. That is a good amount of calories to drink.

So it could be... increased calories --> increases chances of being obese --> increase chance of diabetes..

They "corrected" for overweight, apparently.

Three 330 ml cans of coca cola in the UK are 105g of sugar and 420 cals so "regular" might be a bit flexible

The vague epidemiology also concluded that it would be unwise to substitute fruit juice or artificially sweetened soda as these showed some tendency to increase diabetes risk too.

I read that artificially sweetened soda had no effect, did I miss something in there?
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There are some links that sugary drinks cause diabetes, but I would ask, is it the sugary drinks or is it the obesity. The bigger issue, sugary drinks have a lot of calories and don't provide much nutrition and doesn't fill you up, making it very easy to increase caloric intake.

The authors are clear that its the sweetened drinks and not the obesity.

For example they found a trend for diabetes with consumption of artificially sweetened drinks but this went away when corrected for adiposity.

They agree with you on filling up etc "SSB may contribute to type 2 diabetes risk via both their effects on adiposity, where energy intake in liquid form is not fully compensated, promoting weight gain via the glycaemic
    effect of consuming large amounts of rapidly absorbable sugars, and the metabolic effects of fructose."
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    mom2kpr wrote: »
    too much of any sugar can increase your risk of diabetes.

Too much sugar doesn't increase your risk of diabetes. Too many calories causing overweight/obesity increases risk of diabetes.

My Doctor must have lied to me then, because I asked him about eating too much sugar, even in fruits and he told me too much can cause diabetes so try cut it down.

There are some links that sugary drinks cause diabetes, but I would ask, is it the sugary drinks or is it the obesity. The bigger issue, sugary drinks have a lot of calories and don't provide much nutrition and doesn't fill you up, making it very easy to increase caloric intake.

http://www.diabetes.org/diabetes-basics/myths/

Both can play a role. That fact sheet you linked to says this:

"Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight. "

So if most overweight people never get it, and many people with it are not overweight, it clearly is not simply a matter of being overweight. There are other genetic and lifestyle factors at play. Your sheet also says this:

"Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes."

"The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes."

"These (sugar-sweetened beverages) will raise blood glucose"

So while it's clear this is not perfectly understood yet by scientists, there certainly does seem to be some legitimate indication that the sugary drinks increase risk beyond just the calorie/weight impact.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »

Too much sugar doesn't increase your risk of diabetes. Too many calories causing overweight/obesity increases risk of diabetes.

My Doctor must have lied to me then, because I asked him about eating too much sugar, even in fruits and he told me too much can cause diabetes so try cut it down.

"Most overweight people never develop type 2 diabetes, and many people with type 2 diabetes are at a normal weight or only moderately overweight. "

So if most overweight people never get it, and many people with it are not overweight, it clearly is not simply a matter of being overweight. There are other genetic and lifestyle factors at play. Your sheet also says this:

"The American Diabetes Association recommends that people should avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes."

So while it's clear this is not perfectly understood yet by scientists, there certainly does seem to be some legitimate indication that the sugary drinks increase risk beyond just the calorie/weight impact.

Eating anything with sugar will raise blood glucose. If sugar in drinks is causing diabetes then why are countries with higher sugar consumption than the US generating lower diabetes rates? Truly causal relationships hold up across arbitrary lines on a map.
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

Eating anything with sugar will raise blood glucose. If sugar in drinks is causing diabetes then why are countries with higher sugar consumption than the US generating lower diabetes rates? Truly causal relationships hold up across arbitrary lines on a map.

Biology is complicated :/

Perhaps the drink itself has to do with how quickly the sugar can be taken in. I can drink a soda pretty fast, but I take longer on sugary food.

Just a hypothesis, no research on that thought
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

There are plenty of "healthy" weight people who develop diabetes. It's not that simple.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Link? If someone drinks 3 regular sodas a day, that is like 900 calories of soda. That is a good amount of calories to drink.

So it could be... increased calories --> increases chances of being obese --> increase chance of diabetes..

YOU, I like!
  • MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options

Take it up with the American Diabetes Association. The quote that says we should "avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes" comes from them. Frankly, I think it's good advice. YMMV
  • ultrahoon
    ultrahoon Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    As with all studies, we need to wait for more to confirm this. Single studies on their own show good points to follow up on, but independent verification is key.

Of course, until then, moderation still appears to be the safe bet.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Take it up with the American Diabetes Association. The quote that says we should "avoid intake of sugar-sweetened beverages to help prevent diabetes" comes from them. Frankly, I think it's good advice. YMMV

As pointed out, the American Diabetes Association also notes that sugar does not cause type 2 diabetes. Of course, we've had health organizations change their previously alarmist pronouncements due to facts not supporting the hype.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

The authors are clear that its the sweetened drinks and not the obesity.

For example they found a trend for diabetes with consumption of artificially sweetened drinks but this went away when corrected for adiposity.

They agree with you on filling up etc "SSB may contribute to type 2 diabetes risk via both their effects on adiposity, where energy intake in liquid form is not fully compensated, promoting weight gain via the glycaemic
    effect of consuming large amounts of rapidly absorbable sugars, and the metabolic effects of fructose."

Can't get link; "adiposity" including normal weight adiposity (high bf% regardless of weight) or "adiposity in the overweight"? Have seen studies indicating increased risks for the first as well
  • MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options

As pointed out, the American Diabetes Association also notes that sugar does not cause type 2 diabetes. Of course, we've had health organizations change their previously alarmist pronouncements due to facts not supporting the hype.

No, they don't actually say it doesn't cause diabetes. What they say, to be precise, is "The answer is not so simple."

They go on to talk about genetic and lifestyle factors and also, in answer to that question, say "Research has shown that drinking sugary drinks is linked to type 2 diabetes."

That is basically what I said in my original post. It is a number of factors, but there is at least some scientific evidence to suggest that sugary drinks play a role beyond contributing calories. Obviously, more research is needed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I like how "increases risk of" = "will cause".
  • MoiAussi93
    edited July 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I like how "increases risk of" = "will cause".

It doesn't mean "will cause". But it certainly does not mean "doesn't cause". The point is there is some link that they need to find out more about before something definitive can be said. Until then, every individual is free to decide their own tolerance for risk. If you feel it is low risk and are comfortable with that, keep drinking sugary drinks. If you want to give yourself the best odds possible (even if a small difference) of avoiding diabetes, stop drinking them. I don't see why this is controversial.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Arg - as someone with a diabetic family, this type of misinformation is beginning to get downright offensive. No, sugar doesn't cause diabetes - and anyone who says it does is either misinformed, or attempting to generalize things in order to simplify an explanation for the layman.

Sugar doesn't cause Type 1 or Type 2. What it does do is throw off your blood glucose numbers enough to where you begin to feel the effects of a disease you were genetically prone to have in the first place. It exacerbates things. And for many people, sugary drinks and binges make their symptoms apparent for the first time. Hence the wrong belief that sugar causes diabetes. Could it "knock" someone into the full fledged disease who, though genetically prone to it, might've been able to avoid pancreatic issues if they hadn't indulged? That's an argument I'm willing to accept with some evidence, but no - to repeat - sugar doesn't cause diabetes.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

They "corrected" for overweight, apparently.

Three 330 ml cans of coca cola in the UK are 105g of sugar and 420 cals so "regular" might be a bit flexible

The vague epidemiology also concluded that it would be unwise to substitute fruit juice or artificially sweetened soda as these showed some tendency to increase diabetes risk too.

If it's the same ones at @kgeyser posted, I will have to read those.

But when I think soda, I automatically think 20oz because it's common in the US.

That's interesting. When I think "regular" I would never imagine being able to drink a 20 oz can on my own. Here the most common single serving sizes are 200 and 330 ml (that's 6.7 and 11.1 fl oz).

The correlation in this study is interesting, especially that substituting artificially sweetened drinks does not lower the risk, so if it's not the sugar could it be that there are some overlooked lifestyle habits that soda drinkers had but nondrinkers didn't or vice versa?

For example, I remember a study being done about coffee drinking where they tried to control for several factors, smoking being one, and I remember being intrigued by the fact that smokers drank more coffee than nonsmokers in that group.

Similarly, I read that smokers are more likely to drink caffeinated coffee and drinks in general. When you think "sugary drinks" caffeinated soft drinks (cola-type drinks) jump to mind. I haven't read the paper but have they controlled for smoking and other similar habits which play a role in the likelihood of developing diabetes?
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sugary drinks, like sodas, typically have no protein or fiber. Protein and fiber help stabilize blood sugar levels.

I know I'm gonna catch crap for saying this, but there IS research that indicates artificial sweeteners (like high fructose corn syrup), the kind found in many sugar-sweetened drinks, have more of an effect than natural sugar on blood sugar. Same with white table sugar. People's bodies respond differently to the natural sugars in, for example, fruit. That's why eating a bowl of fruit every day doesn't have the same effect as a daily Coke or sweet tea. Part of that is the fiber found in fruit, but you could blend a fruit smoothie and it wouldn't make your glucose levels spike like a Coke.

There are a lot of armchair nutritionists around here. People can think and eat whatever they like, but telling others that sugar doesn't cause diabetes is pretty irresponsible.