Gall Bladder Removal and Weight Loss

Options
After an almost 2 year battle with gall bladder problems, I had it removed in April 2014. Since having my gall bladder out, it seems I gained weight, and I am having a hard time losing it.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what advice can you share?

Replies

• cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    You're gaining weight because you are eating more calories than your body is using.

It has nothing to do with the removal of your gallbladder.

Lose weight by eating less calories than your body is using.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    No, I actually found it super easy to lose after my gall bladder was out, since I found I couldn't eat fatty food anymore without having... issues.
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,929 Member
    Options
    I was very ill at first, so I lost weight after surgery and my doctor wanted me to walk a good bit stating that was the best medicine. I also never knew it was my gall bladder until I ended up in the ER. The doctor stated that I could also eat what I was eating before surgery...THIS IS NOT TRUE. You are definitely processing at slower pace without the gallbladder to help you and only you can figure out how that feels now. (By the way, it has been three years now). I also quit smoking at the same time. Second story, I had a bad accident midway through and gained my weight back. I am now working on getting the weight off. Add me if you like. Walking is the best exercise to ease and help though.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had my gal bladder out over two years ago. Actually, that is why I started to lose weight. When they did the scan of my gal bladder they noticed I also had hydronephrosis (swollen kidney) and the Nephrologist said it was because of extra weight. I lost over 25 lbs in the 4 months after having my gal bladder removed. Unfortunately I gained most of it back when my dad, grandfather, and uncle passed away in a 3 month span AND I had to have several surgeries to remove a 22mm kidney stone stuck in my ureter.

Now that I am back on track, I have been able to lose close to 12 lbs in about 6 weeks.

The only thing I have not been able to tolerate since my gal bladder was removed is McDonald's cheeseburgers.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I had mine out Dec 2013 and then was very sick from foods, but also gained 25 lbs. I now have to be on a low FODMAP diet due to the stomach issues that have gotten pretty bad since then.
  • labohn91
    labohn91 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Some people can't eat fat after having it removed, they need to run to save their pants. I had not problem after mine was removed.
  • orchidbutterflies
    orchidbutterflies Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out about 5 years ago. It took a whole year of me having attacks before they decided it was my gallbladder and needed to come out. I still ate everything the same after surgery (fast foods, fatty/sugary foods) and the only difference was no attacks. Obviously I gained weight because my diet was terrible. If I remember right, from my surgery weight to my highest weight after that I gained about 40-50lbs.

Since February of this year I have lost almost 80lbs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    A lot of people cannot eat a lot of high fat items after their surgery or they have bathroom problems. If that was your case, you could have made up for those calories (and then some) through carbs since fat will satiete you more than most carbs. But having your gallbladder removed, in and by itself, won't cause you to gain weight.
  • CoreyTrumanOsborne
    CoreyTrumanOsborne Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am a pre-nursing student and I had my gallbladder out in March. I gained about 20 pounds post-op. Not directly because of the surgery but my hunger increased as well as my cravings. Because of the gallbladder malfunction, I started craving fats because my body wasn't absorbing them before. Also, when you first have your surgery, since you no longer have a gallbladder, the bile that your liver secretes that was stored in your gallbladder is now literally DUMPED into your small intestines. That, in turn, can make you hungrier, eat more and gain weight.

Other medical conditions that could cause weight gain: Stress(body produces cortisol which promotes fat storage), Cushing's syndrome, Hypothyroidism(slows metabolism), Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS), Syndrome X and Hormonal changes in women. I
  • ilovebacon33
    ilovebacon33 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    cityruss, have you had your gall bladder removed?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    i lost the majority of my weight before having to have my gallbladder removed , however haven't had any problems keeping the weight off. it really shouldn't be a factor. in fact, 99% of the perceived excuses posted on the forums are merely that. Adjust or dont. just stop trying to find an excuse.
  • ilovebacon33
    Options
    After surgery, I never experienced the "bathroom issues" that people experience after gall bladder removal. Thank goodness!

I eat about 1100 calories a day. I do not eat foods high in sugar or carbs. I walk or I swim almost everyday.
  • 1966spen
    1966spen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I sort of went a bit mad after my gallbladder was removed cos I could eat without fear of pain so put on weight. 6 months later I joined mfp and I've lost 23 lbs by controlling calories.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    After surgery, I never experienced the "bathroom issues" that people experience after gall bladder removal. Thank goodness!

I eat about 1100 calories a day. I do not eat foods high in sugar or carbs. I walk or I swim almost everyday.

Do you use a food scale? Can you open your food diary? The majority of time, we find the issue is, people are not accurate or consistent in their logging.

A few of my friends lost weight after a gallbladder being removed due to the inability to eat fats.
  • ilovebacon33
    Options
    besaro, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE. I SIMPLY ASKED IF HAVING MY GALL BLADDER OUT COULD BE THE PROBLEM.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    cityruss, have you had your gall bladder removed?

Yes.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Do you use a food scale? Can you open your food diary? The majority of time, we find the issue is, people are not accurate or consistent in their logging.

A few of my friends lost weight after a gallbladder being removed due to the inability to eat fats.

Just going to bump this for @ilovebacon33 in case they didn't see it.

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    besaro, I AM NOT LOOKING FOR AN EXCUSE. I SIMPLY ASKED IF HAVING MY GALL BLADDER OUT COULD BE THE PROBLEM.

It's not the direct cause, if that's your question. If you're gaining weight it's because you're eating more calories than you're burning. You might be eating more because you're not experience pain anymore. But the removal of the organ does not CAUSE you to gain weight.

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    my apologies, it sounded like an excuse. cause even if it is the cause, then you would need to make adjustments accordingly in order to lose weight no?
  • PrettyCreature
    PrettyCreature Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had my gallbladder removed last year. I can't diggest everything the same anymore, but still manage to eat about the same food as before. Of course i'm eating healthier ! Though, since my operation, my hunger as grown ten times more, and it's driving me nuts ! I don't know if this will ever go away, but if you had have the same problem, what did you do? Will the extreme hunger go away at one point? All this operation thing drained me kinda...I need advice, since i'm obviously trying to lose weight, trying to eat the right amount of calories, but at the same time, it's like I need more to gain back energy, etc. It's complicated !