Cheat days, yes or no?

Options
13»

Replies

• ungeneric
    ungeneric Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have a chest day once a week
    (Am I immature for giggling at this typo?)
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've been meaning to start a thread on cravings from the Buddhist perspective, but for now will say the less craving-inducing foods I eat, the less I want.
    I think that's pretty common -- you get out of the habit of eating these things, or rather you get into habits that do not include those things, and so you don't have to exert force of will so often to avoid them.

I think the point of a scheduled "cheat day" is to make it sort of finite -- I am going to flex my willpower and preserve my progress by not having my trigger-food right now, and I won't have it tomorrow, either. But if I still want it on Saturday, then I know that I can have it on Saturday. It's not an insurmountable task, I don't have to keep making decisions about it: if I still want it on Saturday, I'l have it on Saturday.

(Where it really becomes pathological is if you don't even want it anymore on Saturday, but you have it anyway...)

All of that elegant logic aside, though, I don't know if it actually helps or not. Just because something sounds like it might help doesn't mean it really will. I'd love to read some studies about weight maintenance and cheat days.
    veganbaum wrote: »
    People like to talk about lifestyle changes and whatnot, and they're not wrong in talking about such a mindset. However, we all lead different lifestyles. If you want to be successful, you should probably choose a way that you could reasonably see yourself sustaining. If having your "cheat day" is that way for you, then do it.
    Exactly. Though the truth is, I don't think any of us really know if any given strategy will work for us, until we try it... a couple of times... at least.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    I don't do "cheat", as I'm not doing anything wrong. Make what you want fit into your allotment.

This!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    When I started I thought that would be the approach I'd take but in all reality it's just easier to eat what I want, when I want, not call it "bad" and just fit it into my daily allowance.

I had a couple of days off strictly counting last week and much to my delight I actually found it pretty hard to just go all out so things have changed for me. Had I been allowing myself to binge once a week from the get go (and I, personally, would have binged) I may not be where I am now with the whole thing.

I think it's totally personal but for the most part I don't think it's necessary.
  • rdtalon
    rdtalon Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The last two weeks I have been having a "cheat day" on Tuesday. I allow myself to eat an extra thousand calories if I feel like it (I dont usually eat the whole 1k calories). So for dinner I might have a chicken fried steak. It will slow your weight loss by 1/7th though I guess. I've been thinking about doing away with it, but it makes me happy, so I figure if I give myself an outlet on these cheat days I might be less likely to binge eat.
  • jessathemessa
    jessathemessa Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't like to do cheat days because I tend to feel bad about it. I do, however, eat more calories on certain days. Usually, though, if I'm going to eat a treat or an especially large meal, I'll try to scale down my other meals or get some extra work outs in to offset. Something that helps me is to really think about how this needs to be a lifestyle change. For example, if you love chocolate, it doesn't make sense to say you're never going to eat it. But then again, it also doesn't make sense to say that for the rest of your life you're going to eat 1200 calories a day except one day where you eat an extra 1,000 calories of chocolate.

When it comes down to it, you need to do what works for you. I know people who do cheat days and otherwise eat 100% clean, and that is great for them. I know that once or twice a week, I end up eating a couple hundred extra calories from a special meal or treat, but I try not to make an entire day unhealthy. Try different methods and do what works for you!
  • lolly2414
    lolly2414 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I just try to eat within my calorie and carb goals. Occasionally I do allow myself a day to eat over my carb limit, but for the most part if I want something like fast food I just eat a smaller portion of it (like small fries and drink instead of medium or large) or get whatever grilled chicken option is on the menu. As long as it fits in my calorie and carb goals on here I don't restrict it. That includes treats like cake, candy or juice too. With that said, I do try to focus on eating healthy food like lean meat, veggies and fruit and drinking a lot of water most of the time.

Now on holidays, particularly Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve & Day, and Easter, I don't track what I eat and eat whatever I want. I love dessert and on those days I allow myself to binge.
  • petitehealth
    petitehealth Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I personally always feel super guilty after a "cheat day"..even if I planned in advance and knew that the day was designated as my "cheat day". I am doing better with fitting in treats or my cravings to my macro and calorie goals. For example, my future hubby told me he is craving steak and I was craving red wine. So I planned the next day backwards. I pre-logged the next day, starting with a steak dinner and red wine and balanced out my calories and macros with the rest of the day's meals/snacks. This way, he and I don't have to feel like we are suffering and I won't go CRAZY (like I used to) on my "cheat day".
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days, I have nights of heavy beer drinking
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Today is my cheat day and consisted of two slices pizza and piece of cake/hoodsie cup. I did however stay in my calorie limit so I don't feel as guilty. It keeps me happy and keeps me from having binge days. Back to salads and smoothies tomorrow.
  • Whartonhope
    Whartonhope Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    swilde1978 wrote: »
    Cheat days are a way of telling your brain, your body and yourself that healthy eating will only ever be a temporary change.

• Whartonhope
    Whartonhope Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good point! It's a lifestyle change if you want lifetime success.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I first started implementing cheat days after reading an article in a magazine. The article said cheat days are good for two reasons. First, it keeps you on track for the rest of the week because you tell yourself you only have to wait to the end of the week to get that item you've been craving, and second, abruptly consuming more calories tricks your body into adjusting your metabolism, creating a better fat burn for the lesser calorie amounts you consume in the rest of the week. Now I will be honest, I'm not sure I could bear to give up cheat days altogether, but if they really are bad I might moderate them a little. So I want your opinion. Cheat days, yes or no? and why?

The only thing you are cheating is yourself, if you're cool with that go for it. Personally I find that when I splurge and eat more then I should it makes me want to do it more frequently. I find it much more productive to make room in my daily intake for the item Im wanting. I may not be able to eat half a pizza, but I can still find room for 2 slices. I don't get a supersize fry but I can get a small one.

I think Cheat days simply serve to reenforce your old "bad" eating habits. If you want to loose weight and stay in shape and not yo yo up and down you have to figure out how to eat in a way that doesn't "cheat", sure have a small bag of chips, instead of having pizza for dinner make a hot turkey sandwich with no mayo and a half ounce of cheese...