Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Legit question

I have started strength training and have limited time. I am rehabbing from knee surgery and spend about 45-60 daily on a bike for low impact cardio. I want to do some upper body work, but only have about 30-40 for a workout. What 3-4 lifts/exercises would you recommend for basic upper body strengthening? Or what would you recommend for a 30-40 min "workout A" and "workout B" for 3x/week? I do core exercises on "off" days.
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    I think OP deleted his profile...

I'm so disappointed b/c I had a legit question. Some personal trainer he is.....

• R_Turnz
    R_Turnz Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    PT here to help

I'm a trainer as well lol. I'm here to give random facts and list to opinions as there is no single right answer in fitness.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    R_Turnz wrote: »
    PT here to help

I'm a trainer as well lol. I'm here to give random facts and list to opinions as there is no single right answer in fitness.

There are plenty of answers that are wrong though.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    The OP's account is now gone. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,645 Member
    Options
    Legit question

I have started strength training and have limited time. I am rehabbing from knee surgery and spend about 45-60 daily on a bike for low impact cardio. I want to do some upper body work, but only have about 30-40 for a workout. What 3-4 lifts/exercises would you recommend for basic upper body strengthening? Or what would you recommend for a 30-40 min "workout A" and "workout B" for 3x/week? I do core exercises on "off" days.
    Strengthening?

Pullups
    Deadlifts
    Dips
    Overhead press

You're welcome.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • FoodieYi
    FoodieYi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PT here to help

Hello, I'm new here and have a problem. My body fat is 18% and want to lose belly fat. The app says my daily goal is 1200 calories but I hardly can do that. Always under the scale, especially I worked out five times a week. It's hard to reach 1200.My roommate told me the body stores fat if I can't reach the basic calories need... I am really worried... I love fruit, vegetables, yourgert,beef and salmon. I seldom eat dinner because I am not hungry at all. I really don't want to push myself eating. What should I do? Thanks very much!
  • Keklepke
    Keklepke Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    He was here to help now he is gone. Probably realized how nonsense his post was
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Keklepke wrote: »
    He was here to help now he is gone. Probably realized how nonsense his post was

He was probably hoping to make some easy sales on here.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    FoodieYi wrote:
    My body fat is 18% and want to lose belly fat.
    Put your stats into this calculator:
    http://fitness.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Body-Fat-Navy
    See the down arrow on the right end of the symbols under where it says "body fat category"?
    Click that.
    For women, 18% BF is considered athletic. So you're waaaay better than average there.
    You can't spot-lose fat. (Well, you can, but it's not statistically significant, or noticeable.)
    Where it goes on & where it comes off is almost entirely genetic.

The app says my daily goal is 1200 calories but I hardly can do that
    Your profile says you're a 21yo female. Unless you're REALLY short (under 5'), you should be eating more than 1200.
    Your profile says you want to lose 22 lb. A reasonable amount to lose would be 1 lb per month. I suspect you set
    your goal to lose 2 lb per week. Amiright?

And if you're already at a healthy weight the loss will be even slower, if you can do it.
    BMI-Chart-eng.png

My roommate told me the body stores fat if I can't reach the basic calories need
    :confounded:
    No. No, no, no, no, no. :unamused::disappointed::angry:

Your body needs energy (calories) to run.
    If it doesn't get that from you eating enough food, it will burn what's in your body.
    It prefers to burn glucose (blood sugar),
    then it prefers glycogen (stored carbs),
    then it prefers fat,
    and as a distant 4th it burns protein (muscle).
    (Yes, we're all burning all of those to some degree all the time, but that's where energy is pulled from.)

It WILL NOT store ANY calories if you're eating less than you need to run your body.
    Only if you're eating more than you need to survive will it store calories.
    Read this. Read it several times. Save it to read again later, and to show to your roommate.
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

I really don't want to push myself eating. What should I do?
    If you don't want more volume, choose more calorie-dense foods.
    Full-fat yogurt, milk, cheese, for example.
    Nuts. Avocados.
  • BethMilledge
    BethMilledge Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me