Advice on keeping motivated with MFP

Options
Hey Everyone,

I'm a 28 year old female that has yo-yo'ed most of my 20's(ranging from 125-145). I promised myself this was THE year that I was going to wear a bikini all summer long and feel happy. Well..that didn't happen, instead I've gained 10-15 lbs since the Winter. As of TOMORROW, I'm starting fresh. I just want to know how everyone stays motivated with logging their food and work outs on MFP. Every few yrs I come back for a week and then get lazy and fall off the band wagon. Does anyone have any advice or I just have to "woman up" and stop being lazy?

I've let myself creep up to about 145 (I'm about 5'3) and hoping to be down to about 130 in roughly 6 weeks.

What have you found worked the best? Counting calories? Weight lifting?

I'm desperate to feel confident again before my scary 30's creep up!!

Thank you,

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    To lose weight you need to eat at a deficit.
    Exercise is for your health.
    I enjoy weight lifting because it helps me keep my muscle
    Read the MFP Recommended Post at the beginning of this message board. You will learn useful information.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • 6502programmer
    6502programmer Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    First, welcome to our journey!

Second, I really would urge you to be realistic in your expectations. Fifteen pounds in six weeks is 2.5 pounds per week. Not impossible, but also not advisable, and only should be undertaken under the guidance of a physician. In order to sustain that rate, at your current weight, it will take a ton of activity. Most guidance I've read says .5 pounds per week for every 25 pounds you have to lose, capped at two pounds per week. This is because the same exercise routine that works when you're carrying 75 extra pounds doesn't burn as many calories as it does when you're carrying 15.

To make it stick, for me, it's a lifestyle change. Minor changes make a big difference. I started out with nearly fifty pounds to lose, and I'm down eight pounds so far in a bit more than a month. I do eat at or under my calorie target each and every day. I do log religiously. I weigh/measure everything practical, and err on the side of calories in on every judgement call. When taking the stairs presents itself, I take it, even if it's six flights.

Find the reasons that matter, and use those as a motivation. Rocking a bikini is cool and all, but not really something that really truly matters to anyone other than you. Find those reasons for yourself and others that do matter, and use those to drive your changes.