Having a very hard time maintaining

I've been maintaining for a few months now...I've been trying to slowly add more calories in but I feel as though I'm still restricting myself too much because some days I have such a lack of energy and occasionally I binge and hate myself afterwards..last weekend I went away and pretty much ate whatever I wanted. Since then my eating has been less then stellar and I am so afraid of gaining my weight back

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    In general, people who restrict themselves too much tend to let go and overeat when they give in. You have to find a way to meet your needs and feel comfortable.

When I hit maintenance, I upped my calories by 250 to see how that went. I also looked carefully at my diary to see where my big calorie sinks were. For me, it was milk, cheese, and bread. And handfuls of nuts when I got home from work! I didn't really care about those foods, but they used up a lot of calories that I wanted to use for things like small helpings of ice cream. Bread v. ice cream? A no brainer. I started eating low carb tortillas.

See if upping 250 over maintenance helps. I know some people go up slower than that, but I'm not that patient. Then add small helpings of things you really would enjoy. See how that goes. In general, I feel like I can eat anything I want. I just don't eat a lot of things that are very calorie dense. It's the first few bites that taste the best anyway.

If you can maintain there, try going up to 500.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited July 2015
    It is a major concern of mine as well. Over 20 months maintaining for me now. I watch my weight very closely and allow myself a 5# weight gain limit. If I am up 5# I cut back on my calories. I have only gone down more than 5# once, so that is not an issue for me, but I kind of would rather be under than over. It is a constant battle for me.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited July 2015
    What have you been doing exercise-wise?
    As we all know, you can eat more if you do more exercise.
    I'm maintaining on around 1900/2000 cals a day, due to the fact i workout 5-6 days a week.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    What are your stats, and at how many calories are you maintaining?
    I've already seen a few times that people are so stuck in the dieting low cals mindset that they try to maintain at a way too low calorie intake.