Half-Marathon Training Help!

Options
Hi! My mom and I signed up to do a half-marathon in Mid-November as motivation to kick-start our weight loss and getting back into shape. The problem is that I am not a runner at all and we only get 3.5 hours to complete the marathon, which translates to roughly 16 min/mile, and I really really do not want it to take me 3.5 hours to complete (I am assuming I can improve my time in the next 4 months)... I downloaded the training schedule that the marathon organizers put online thinking it would help, but that just gives me the amount of time I should run for or a distance goal (ie. Week 1 - Tuesday run 30 minutes, Thursday run 30 minutes, Saturday run 2 miles). I definitely cannot run for 30 minutes straight yet (the time it says I should start at), and I tried to do 2 miles today and my pace was average 18.05 min/mile.
I google searched but there are a million websites and many of them are similar to the schedule above. Can someone point me in the right direction for a training schedule? I am trying to add this in the mornings 3, maybe 4 days a week.

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but you might not be ready to tackle a training plan for a half marathon just yet.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Start with this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

Four months is a little short on time to start training for a half marathon if you haven't already completed a 5k or 10k. Does not mean you can't do it, but it would be very challenging to complete based on your current run times.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I understand why you might think that, but I have to start somewhere. Maybe what you are saying is that a Half-marathon training plan is not the thing for me yet, but if not that, then what? (I refuse to believe that you mean I should just give up despite the fact that that is how I first interpreted your message).
    I am only asking where I need to start, I am doing the Half-Marathon, and I refuse to believe I wont be able to improve my pace in the next 4 months. There has to be something I can do to prepare for this thing.
  • ColinsMommaOC
    ColinsMommaOC Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    hermann341 wrote: »
    Start with this: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1217573/so-you-want-to-start-running/p1

Four months is a little short on time to start training for a half marathon if you haven't already completed a 5k or 10k. Does not mean you can't do it, but it would be very challenging to complete based on your current run times.

Thank you, I will check that out. I realize that I am a little late to start training. I am not trying to win or even run the whole way (I will likely end up having to walk a good part of it) but I refuse to believe that I cannot improve my times to about 15 min miles or less.
    I did a 5K mudrun last month, which I walked most of, but I did manage the whole thing.
  • larali1980
    larali1980 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Hey. I'm doing Hal Higdon's novice 1 program. I'm also a running newbie who's signed up to do a half in November. Adding you as a friend.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    15 min mile is 4mph, that's a snappy walk. You wouldn't even have to run for that. To practice what that pace feels like, honestly I would spend some time on the treadmill. Also, measure out a short distance and figure out how long it would take you to walk that far at your desired pace. Practice doing that. Use that speed when you do all your walking.

If you'd like more leeway, you could try something like the Galloway plan, which is run/walk by time periods. I think you'd have to jump in part of the way, though, as it's a long program. How far are you running/walking usually right now?
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Google Runner's World Smart Coach. You'll have to register, but it's free. The training plans are somewhat customizable, and I think pretty good.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    I recommend the couch to 5k plan, it takes 9 or 10 weeks to get you from being unable to run at all to being able to run for 30 minutes. 5k is just over 3 miles. From there you can do the couch to 10k which is just over 6.5miles. in my experience if you can run 10 you can run 15 and if you can run 15 you can run 20, the training will get easier.

4 months isn't long but if you have 3.5 hours to complete it then you can probably do a walk/run/walk within the time limit.

Good luck!

• rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I ran walked a half marathon at 260 pounds. You can do it, don't worry. Just find a training plan and stick to the plan. I knew I didn't want to run the whole thing, but I wanted to maintain a 15 min/mile pace. At my speed, it worked out to a 3 minute jog/2 minute walk. I finished exactly 3 hours and 30 minutes. I would find the longest half marathon program out there that is based in miles not time. Then if there is extra time, just repeat weeks are keep the distances the same. Pick a time you want to maintain and go from there.
  • danesom
    danesom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I Agree on the couch to 5k plan. Its a great way to start off and since all you need to do is get to a fast walk in reality. I think the half mary is doable (probably not running the entire distance though). Good luck... :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am only asking where I need to start, I am doing the Half-Marathon, and I refuse to believe I wont be able to improve my pace in the next 4 months. There has to be something I can do to prepare for this thing.

Given that ou can't run 5K at the moment I'd personally suggest trying something more manageable, but note that you're committed to it.

With that in mind I'd suggest looking at the Galloway run/ walk plans. Not something I'd use myself but as you're unprepared for a half then it'll get you across the line in the time limit.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Just jumping in to ask how long it took to do the 5k mud run? I like Warrior Dash and I did a half marathon last November. My half marathon time was pretty close to 4x my Warrior Dash time. So if 4x your mud run time is less than the 3.5 hour cutoff for your half marathon, you might be ok.
  • twofastdogs
    twofastdogs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would echo the recommendation for the Galloway run/walk plans. I am not a good runner, and can't do long stretches at a time, but I have successfully done several half marathons by the run/walk method. Running for a short time then walking allows you to maintain that pace for a much longer time. You can do it!
  • jennwdw
    jennwdw Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Look at Jeff Galloway's run/walk plan for a half marathon. If you train consistently you can get your time down to meet the pace requirements. It's a small window but doable. Consistency is the key. If you look on the run Disney website they have his training plan for free. You can print it out and go from there. There is a plan that's called "finish in an upright position". As someone who did the same crazy thing once that's a good goal.
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It's do-able. As others have pointed out, there are plenty of customizable plans to help you on your way, and technically no running involved if you just want to walk it. A lot of people do, but at you mentioned, you'd like to complete it quickly and not be all day at it. A simple run walk 1:1 or 1:2 ratio could easily get you on your way. That is, run a minute at whatever pace you're comfortable at, walk a minute. Or, run a minute then walk 30 seconds. A popular approach is to pick a run time, say 7 minutes, run that, and then walk 30 sec. It helps to preserve energy. Since this will be your first race (I'm assuming) it will be important to pace yourself and not get caught up in the moment too much, otherwise you risk injury. Same with training. These plans are meant to give you the right amount of rest time. Don't think you don't nee it, even if you seem "fine" without rest. Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great!
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Here is the training plan I'm using. I consider myself a beginner runner even though I now hit about 25 miles a week. Starting out with a half-marathon is ambitious, but maybe not too ambitious... it really depends! Expect the training to be hard but listen to your body, try not to overtrain, take walking breaks when you absolutely need them, and try your best! Good luck!
  • rumijs
    rumijs Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'd also recommend entering a 5k or something as you're training so that you know better what to expect in a race environment (very different feel from training, various line up processes, how far in the pack you should start to be comfortable, the kind of gear that works best for you in that situation). 13 miles is a long ways, and will feel double that if you find out that you wish you ha/didn't have something with you on race day.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I have my first half in November. I have been running for a while and run a 5k pretty slow at a 13 minute mile - that's not my max effort, but a comfortable pace where I can hold a conversation while running. I am hoping to increase my speed as well before my race. My plan is to follow a 20 week half marathon training plan (which I started a few weeks ago). I do 2 runs a week outside (the longer runs) and the two shorter runs each week I do on a treadmill at my target pace. So, right now, my long runs are 4 miles...I do those at a roughly 13 min mile, but do shorter 2 miles runs at 10 minute miles each week as well.

My rough weekly plan - each week the runs get a little longer :

M - short tempo run and strength training
    T - rest
    W - longer outdoor run
    Th - rest
    F - short tempo run and strength training
    S - longest run of the week
    Sun - rest.

I would really like to be able to finish around an 11 minute mile.
  • dinsfamily
    dinsfamily Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congrats on committing! That's how I have to do it too...once I pay for the race, I'm good to go.

I HIGHLY recommend the book Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham and Jenny Hatfield. I picked it up at the library when I started training for my first half 4 years ago after my last baby was born. My only goal was to run the whole thing. They had an easy training plan for that (easier than Hal Higdon's novice plan which was too much for me at the time). My mom wanted to join in as an overweight 57yo and set a goal to walk it in under the 4 hr time limit...the book had a training plan for that too. We both met our goals. I think it is completely doable in 4 months. I think the training plan I did was 12 weeks. I also did C25K beforehand to get me started. The biggest takeaway I had from the book was to start at a SLOW pace.

Since then we've both improved A LOT running a couple of halfs a year. I joined a running club and my mom is just consistently walking and mixing in some running. I'm super proud of my mom as it has become her hobby and she has gotten healthier.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a Disney race - those have 16 min/mile cutoffs. Wine & Dine? And if you don't meet that, yes, they will sweep you.

I second/third/fourth Galloway for you. You'll be able to run/walk it fine enough.

But.... I really, really encourage you to give yourself some real time to train for a half next time!!! I'm doing the Disneyland Star Wars in Jan 2016 (I did it this year too) and am hoping to spend several weeks at 20 miles per week before launching into a more formal training plan of 30-40 miles per week from October - January.

Finishing a race - you'll do it. But I hope you can come back and do another one, giving yourself lots of time to drop weight and improve your distances and pace. (Losing weight helped my times ENORMOUSLY. I pretty much PR'd my half marathon time in my sleep this year!)

Good luck.