Foods that make you FULL

2»

Replies

• abrooks54
    abrooks54 Posts: 45 Member
    Coffee and water. Godsends.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Foods with protein, fats, fiber usually help me to feel full and satisfied.

Dishes with beans or lentils or regular potatoes are very filling to me.

• lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Fat is the thing that seems to keep me from getting hungry again too soon, especially when I eat protein.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited July 2015
    abrooks54 wrote: »
    Coffee and water. Godsends.

Lol I wish.

For me it's a mix of fiber, protein and fat, typically.
  • Ellitamaria
    Ellitamaria Posts: 34 Member
    Whenever I'm hungry I just snack on some baby carrots. They're delicious and cute. haha.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Henny2206 wrote: »
    No carbs whatsover and 75% vegetables. It's low calorie and high protein. And I'm hungry again after an hour.

I understand you'd like to limit carbs. I'm a carb-aholic too. But you do need some carbs. If you're eating 75% vegetables and the rest is protein?

Carbohydrates are necessary. You can't live without a certain amount. Maybe more protein? Or add in avocado to the veggies.

When I'm absolutely starving and want to eat a lot I scramble 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites, 1/4c skim milk and a piece of Pepperidge Farm 15 grain bread. It doesn't sound like it but that is a lot of food for around 300 calories. You can put diced up veggies in the eggs if you want, but adding the 2 extra egg whites really increases the volume of cooked eggs without racking up the calories. And I don't notice the yolks are missing.

You're probably hungry because your ratio of carbs, protein and fat is out of balance.

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Kexessa wrote: »
    No carbs whatsover and 75% vegetables. It's low calorie and high protein. And I'm hungry again after an hour.

I understand you'd like to limit carbs. I'm a carb-aholic too. But you do need some carbs. If you're eating 75% vegetables and the rest is protein?

Carbohydrates are necessary. You can't live without a certain amount. Maybe more protein? Or add in avocado to the veggies.

Tecnically, people do not need to eat carb sources to get glucose for their blood. The body can provide enough glucose from meats, eggs, and high fat dairy, but most people who eat very low carb still like to add some carbs to their diet. Most people do prefer to include a fairly large portion of carbohydrates in their diet, as a personal preference or to increase exercise performance.

I found adding more fats to my diet helped me cut my hunger. Nuts with coconut, pepperoni, cheese, eggs, whipped cream, coffee with coconut cream, are common snacks for me, and can tide me over for a few hours. I don't go to bed hungry very often anymore since I started eating more fats.

High fat may not work for you though, as I cut carbs to make room for my fats while staying at a caloric deficit. A lot of people find lowering their carbs is not something they enjoy.

Good luck!
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    MB_Positif wrote: »
    Pizza with grilled chicken on it.

I wish. Even with a thin crust, a homemade pizza is way too high calorie.

I sometimes make a pizza out of just a tortilla with low fat cheese but it's still a treat. I'm better off just eating the chicken.

You can get reasonable sized, whole grain flat breads for like 140 cals. They're thin, but they get the job done and they often have 6-7+g of protein and flax seed
  • HM2206
    HM2206 Posts: 174 Member
    Kexessa wrote: »

When I'm absolutely starving and want to eat a lot I scramble 2 whole eggs + 2 egg whites, 1/4c skim milk and a piece of Pepperidge Farm 15 grain bread. It doesn't sound like it but that is a lot of food for around 300 calories. You can put diced up veggies in the eggs if you want, but adding the 2 extra egg whites really increases the volume of cooked eggs without racking up the calories. And I don't notice the yolks are missing.

I have actually made omelets like that several times and it works well. They can get boring though.

The other factor is price of food. I live in Oslo (Norway) and the food prices are among the highest (if not the highest) in the world. Eggs cost a bit so I don't always the conscience of throwing away several yolks, or having many eggs a day. My mum lets me dig into her freezer sometimes though, and that's where I get the chicken, salmon, white fish, king prawns etc. :)

I find that I get tired and low in energy if I cut carbs completely, so I usually include some with dinner. I usually go for sweet potato rather than regular, and brown rice rather than white.

I have to skip pasta altogether, or I'll eat it all. My sister can eat a small portion of pasta bolognaise and stay full for three hours, I have NO idea how. Pasta is too good and it's not filling to me at all...
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Eggs
    Poultry
    Beans
    Potatoes
    Oatmeal/porridge

I make a lot of meals with ground turkey, like turkey chili and meatloaf and lettuce wraps and such, all quite filling and comparatively low calorie to my ground beef versions.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Green salad in addition to meal. Light oil vinegar dressing. Few cslories but helps the meal fill me up whatever it is.