Fatshamed by family

Options
2»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Tyke2410 wrote: »
    Parents don't change whether you do or not. It's taken me thirty years to realise that if I do one thing to make them happy, they just find something else to get on my case about.
    Do it for yourself, and balls to anyone else's opinions of you

Hahah yep

And nothing good comes out of being that bitter adult who blames their parents for anything - no matter if you really think it's their fault or not! They're just human beings like any other, they're not perfect, they have their flaws. I love that the OP is so young. Just read what everyone else is saying and the sooner you realize this, I just know you'll feel so free and your life will take off!
  • tiffanycompton33
    tiffanycompton33 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is so hurtful. I remember distinctly being a senior in high school and my Mom telling me that her and my sister were cute but I was the beautiful one and that if I lost a little weight I would be a knockout. I walked away feeling weird and heavy even though at that time I was a regular thin teenager. She never said anything like that again and never called me disgusting. I don't know how anyone could recover from that. There are so many bad relationship posts here. Doesn't everyone know you can't bully anyone into a healthier lifestyle? I'm in the camp who believes you should only attempt to get healthier if you feel your health is holding you back in any way. I know plenty of heavier high energy people.
  • pcote73
    pcote73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My father used to fat shame me when I was younger, called me things like the Pillsbury Dough girl even though he himself was obese. Years later I finally asked him why he did that to me and he told me he was trying to toughen me up so that when kids in school teased me it wouldn't bother me, I told him how it made me feel, that instead of toughing me up my life was hell getting teased at school and at home. In his own twisted way he was doing what he thought was best.
    You need to either tell your parents how what they are doing is effecting you or get away and don't look back. In the end you need to do what is best for you.