Body comp monitor?

Options
Can anyone recommend a good monitor for body composition? If I ask to use the one at the gym, they try selling me PT. I need something affordable and accurate.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Scale + Tape measure + Mirror = More accurate than BIA
  • Michelle9912
    Michelle9912 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Based on what I've read/heard from body builders, I agree with the above post. All are pretty inaccurate even the "professional" grade ones.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used to have an Omron BF-508 which uses four sensors (hands & feet) rather than the two that handhelds use.
    It gave a consistent trend over time if used same time of day and same conditions but like any BIA device is susceptible to hydration variables. And of course like your weight you have to look for a trend and not the number on any particular day.
    The first thing in the morning number it gave was very close to BodPod scans and seemed to be credible. If used at other times of day it could vary by 3% in a few hours (water).

But would hesitate to recommend it as it "died" after a couple of years. Didn't bother replacing it.

The absolute worst way to use a BIA device (IMHO) is to rock up to a hand held unit at random times of day, or days of week, with differing hydration levels, possibly after a workout - such as units seen in gyms!
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Tape measure and bodyfat calipers.