Reliability of MFP's calorie burn estimates.

Options
Carnhot
Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
I have got the hang of MFP calorie burn estimates being variable in their reliability. Checking around various calculators, they seem to be ok with walking. How have people found their elliptical estimates?

Replies

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Elliptical is one entry that can't be accurate, since it just has "elliptical trainer," with no variations for pace or resistance.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Good point. OK, change of question: how reliable is the reading the gym machine gives me likely to be, given that I specify my weight and set the level? I am hoping that there are some informed people out there who might be able to give me a steer on this. Thanks.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    It is terrible!!!!!

It will also count the previous day calorie burn in the current day.

So my calorie burn from 29 mile bike ride is in there today.

Then it doubles calorie burn for steps from iPhone Health App. That self corrects in a bit but messes you up at a quick glance

It is so screwed up 5t23d1esu0ug.jpg

Note how totally screwed up this food log is!!!

• ScubaSteve1962
    ScubaSteve1962 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM that syncs with the elliptical to control the resistance and keep my heart rate at a steady beat that I choose (usually 80 to 90%). There's usually a 200 calorie difference between it an my activity monitor. With the elliptical having the higher reading.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I stopped using any calorie estimates for exercise and just go by a slight deficit from my TDEE. Using MFP's method was good when I was just starting out, was still recovering an injury and couldn't exercise as regularly as I'd like, and needed more motivation. Now, though? I'm fairly consistent, and appetite doesn't always go along with my daily calorie burn. I'm not necessarily hungrier on a day I run 10 miles than I am on a rest day.
  • Carnhot
    Options
    Thanks. Probably best I stick with only eating back 50-60% of my exercise calories.
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    New problem discovered today

It added yesterday's bike ride to today's

It auto posted I burned 5300 calories.

Actual.

oacepi2hqea5.jpg
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options